Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Results Below!  I compare load times while controlling all variables of the startech ide2sat2 adapter vs the cheap adapter that most people recommend. There are significant differences in both price and performance.

cheapo
    ux bootup 2:28 - 3:09 = 41 seconds
halo 2 load   4:11 - 4:56 = 45 seconds
coinops dd3   5:42 - 6:25 = 43 seconds

startech
    ux bootup 8:00 - 8:20 = 20 seconds
halo2 load    10:05 - 10:25 = 20 seconds
coinops dd3   10:57 - 10:40 = 43 seconds

CoinOps was 43 seconds for both tests. This implies that the wait isn't due to throughput of the storage device but rather the zip extraction of the cpu.

I have never had any luck with the cheapo adaptors, I think I have maybe 8,  although they work fine in my pc's so they just hate Xboxes.

Gonna have to buy the Startec ones as my supply of ide drives is drying up.

Thanks  for the video

• Like 1

Hello and thank you for these clarifications!

I have a generic IDE2SATA adapter with a 2Tb hard drive and IDE 80 cable but UnleashX needs to take about a minute to start.

Is this normal (for a 2Tb hard drive)? Or it comes from the adapter and I should rather change it for a Startech?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

cordially

I use the cheapy ones with the jumpers (amazon or ebay) and have used Startech also.  I have not seen a noticeable difference in boot times.  Your boot times in general seem slow.  Are you running custom icons and have a lot of Xbox Backups on the drive?  I ran into this issue where it was 30-40 seconds and I believe it was Rocky5 that mentioned that UnleashX caches all the images.  I had to add a delayload in my config file for everything and it cut my boot times quite a bit.. Also I noticed that that more Xbox games, the slower it booted. I typically run a 2TB setup. The the F has all of my emulators and about 150-200 xbox games. The G folder has all Xbox games.  I remember when I had transferred half the content (filling up just F), the Xbox booted a lot faster than when I had both folders full.  The delay load worked great and cut those times down quite a bit.  I have since gone to XBMC as my dashboard of choice, it boots so much faster than UnleashX. 

Edited by Incursion64

I think I may revisit my generic adaptors, my new chip has drive tools onboard where as before it was down to the DVDs when setting up the drive.

It  may well work this time.

I only have one 250gb ide drive left so need to get a solution for SATA drives.

On 11/15/2017 at 12:22 AM, XC-3730C said:

Incursion64,

How do you add a delayload bit your config file? I will also be using a 2TB drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think Incursion64's talking about Delayload in Unleash's Config.xml file.

Rocky5 Please login or register to see this link. :

Re: Slow Xbox start up
Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 pm

How many games or emulators are there on this system?

UnleashX pre caches them all on load, you can disable this by adding Delayload="True" in the header of each <list tag>

ie, <list text="Games" Sort="On" Delayload="True">

The latter will make booting into unleashx almost instantly, only issue is when entering these menus there will be a slight delay as it caches the titles.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dave C.
      I am sure it is just experience (my lack of) but there seems to be a certain amount of Voodoo involved with adding a new Hard Disk to a TSOP'd system using HeXEn
      I have successfully done it but now I am using a SATA 1TB Drive w/adapter and I am on my third try at it (formatting etc.).
      Still nothing.  I am wondering if my Seagate ST1000DM003 is not compatible or I am missing something?
      Any advice?
    • By Dave C.
      Has anyone tried this?
      Please login or register to see this link.
    • By MvZiC MaN
      Alright guys. The time has come.
      Here I'm gonna be adding an internal WiFi adapter to my OG Xbox because, lets face it, Wires are ugly, they get chewed by your dogs and people trip over them. and come on WiFi in an OG Xbox!!
      Heres a list of Tools and Materials you'll need
      Torx T20
      Torx T10
      Soldering Iron
      Solder
      Drill with assorted bits
      Wire Cutters
      Heatshrink or Electrical Tape
      Multi-Meter
      Dremel with cutting disc or small hand saw.
      Assorted files or sand paper
      Wireless bridge gaming adapter
      RP-SMA Female to Male Pigtail
      Rj45(Ethernet) Female to Male adapter
      some Motherboard standoffs with matching screws

I got the idea from the youtube user "Thewheelman282"
      Link to video Please login or register to see this link.

To start you'll need to pull apart your console.
      I'm not gonna explain how to because there are Many sources for this elsewhere.

Next you need to figure out where you want to mount the adapter.
      again I'm doing what he did in the video and mounting it to the bottom of the DVD drive.
      If doing the same you'll need to pull apart your DVD drive too.
      Every drive is different, mine is a Samsung with 4 screws on the bottom.

Once you have the bottom half of your drive,
      You'll want to Pull apart your adapter and mark out your mounting holes.
      Now use your drill to drill them out.
      Start small, you can always make the hole bigger if you need to.

Time to add the MoBo standoffs, I used 6 of them and cut the screw part off the ones that go inside the drive.
      Now you can mount your adapter and put your drive back together.

Now its time to start cutting wires.
      Get your multi-meter and determine what wires you need to splice into.
      Since my adapter uses 5v I used Pin 01(Ground) and Pin 08(5V)
      Heres the Pinout for the Drive side of the DVD plug

Next your gonna need to figure out where you want your adapters Ethernet port to be.
      I used the same location as in the video for simplicity.
      Now your gonna want to get your RJ45(Ethernet) Male to Female converter/Extension and see if it will fit. (Mine did not so i had to trim it down)

In the process of trimming it, I nicked a few wires so I had to pull it completely apart to trace each pin with a multi-meter and solder each wire back into place.
      (Dont make the same mistake I did and take your time!!) I was impatient and rushing.

now you can Take your dremel and start cutting the hole for your RJ45 port,
      Once cut it should look something like this.(Again I was rushing, So its not as clean as Id like it to be)

you'll want to test fit the plug, then clean up the cuts with a file or sand paper.
      Then mount your new port to the top of the existing one. I used a few drops of Super glue to accomplish this.
      \

Now you'll need to drill a hole for your RP-SMA Pigtail. (Antenna extension wire)
      I chose to put it beside the Ethernet ports.
      Ignore
      ignore the hole by the Ethernet port. Thats for my USB ports.
      I put a piece of heatshrink around the metal antenna connector so it doesnt cause any shorts or problems once its put back together

\
      Its a tight sqeez but everything fits inside nicely, just be patient while your putting things back where they go.
      Now you can put it all back together so you can Admire all your hard work and enjoy your now Wireless Xbox.

Let me know what you guys think. This is my FIRST Tutorial/Write up.
      Tried to give clear info, If you need any additional info ill be glad to help out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.