Jump to content
OGXbox.com

Ide To Sata Adapter Comparison


OGXbox Admin
 Share

Recommended Posts

If he is like me I have a hard drive that is setup the way I like and I use a standalone HDD cloning dock to make new HDD

IMG_20200624_080352.thumb.jpg.686e75c442751a23b23270b5192abb4e.jpg

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If he is like me I have a hard drive that is setup the way I like and I use a standalone HDD cloning dock to make new HDD

IMG_20200624_080352.thumb.jpg.686e75c442751a23b23270b5192abb4e.jpg

I have exactly one of those, they make life so much easier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed.

@TEK Nemesis: I noticed that you shorted two pins of the DVD power connector. AFAIK this method is supposed to trick the xbox into thinking a DVD drive is connected, which I hoped would elminate the added boot times I experienced when running the XBox without a DVD drive. Does your Xbox take longer to boot (or return to the dashboard) than with the whole DVD drive connected?

I tried this method once, but I killed my Xbox because I shorted the wrong pins 😕

It seems to me that Tek Nemesis's adaptor would still leave room for a DVD drive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tosnic said:

Agreed.

@TEK Nemesis: I noticed that you shorted two pins of the DVD power connector. AFAIK this method is supposed to trick the xbox into thinking a DVD drive is connected, which I hoped would elminate the added boot times I experienced when running the XBox without a DVD drive. Does your Xbox take longer to boot (or return to the dashboard) than with the whole DVD drive connected?

 

The link at the back of the board in the DVD connector is to stop the eject led from flashing as it tells the board the DVD tray is closed and there is no disk.

You still need to use a bios that has the no DVD check option set

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg 2067125486_DVDdeletecord.jpg.53ac45063c67b3855ad33c0e2f1ad7e8.jpg

What Bios are you using ?

What HDD and adaptor?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The link at the back of the board in the DVD connector is to stop the eject led from flashing as it tells the board the DVD tray is closed and there is no disk.

You still need to use a bios that has the no DVD check option set

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg 2067125486_DVDdeletecord.jpg.53ac45063c67b3855ad33c0e2f1ad7e8.jpg

What Bios are you using ?

What HDD and adaptor?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

Back in the day when I was using the setup without DVD-drive I had been using a modified UnleashX ("no DVD" enabled). What I did to make the LED stop flashing was to set the LED state in UX to solid green for all states 😉
But before long I returned the DVD drive into my Xbox, both for easy ripping and (mostly) to reduce the time it takes to enter the dashboard (I think I posted the measurements before in this thread).

I am using one of the noname SATA adaptors mentioned in my tests.

As for HDD, I am using a 2,5" Samsung 500 GB with 80-wire IDE cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2021 at 2:14 AM, big F said:

Tek Nemesis, just interested how you set the box up, with no DVD.   Do you just temp put a drive in via a standard Ide and ide to sata adaptor.

I've been modding for a while and my the stuff I have on my Xbox HDD has improved over time.  All I do is remove that HDD and clone it to a new HDD and then install that new HDD into the next Xbox.  (StarTech SATDOCK2REU3)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Gigamaximus
      Hello Everyone. 
      I am kind of new/kind of old to the scene, as I have an rev 1.6 Xbox that I bought brand new in 2006, softmodded and installed a 160gb harddrive, which is(was?) limited to 137Gb useable space, copied all my bought games to it, threw in a couple emulators, and then just used it on and off and basically forgot anything involved in the process to the mists of time. 
      Recently it wouldn't power on, so I replaced the common 5 3300uF caps that were leaking, and it was good to go. My brain noted that the 16 year old IDE hard drive will not run forever, and I should look at upgrading to a SATA configuration.
      Due to the time gap, very old versions of software, I have now read so much conflicting information at this point am not sure what to do in 2021.
      I  no longer have the original drive. I don't appear to have an image of either drive (8gb or 160gb) in any of my backups either. My fuzzy memory says this is bad because of linked keys. 
      I do not have a PATA usb adaptor, or computer with PATA. I have an Xbox to USB adaptor, but I don't think I have a compatible thumb drive. Based on my research I've ordered the "correct" Startech SATA/PATA adaptor. The existing drive already has an 80 pin cable. 
      I do have ftp access without issue. 
      I'm attaching a 2 screenshots of my drive/system info, my questions are:
      Is that key in the screenshot all I need? If not what is the best way to go about backing up the drive/board key "Just in case" things go bad.
      And is Chimp (https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/chimp/)  still the best way to clone it to a new drive in 2021? 
      I undoubtedly will have more questions, but backing up is my first priority, and once I have a confirmed backup I will be much more comfortable playing with it, and hopefully updating the various software I have loaded.  
      Any "critical hints" or gotchas would be appreciated as well. 
       
       
       
       
      v
       


    • By blueskygeek
      I was given two broken original Xbox consoles to try and fix. After fixing the issues with one of them, I tried to test it. As I didn't have a controller for it I bought an adapter like the one in the picture (Adapter) to try and use either a USB arcade stick or one of my wired controllers for PC, Xbox 360, or Xbox One. I eventually bought a controller for it as I could not get anything to work with this adapter. So I am wondering, does this adapter serve any purpose? Has anybody gotten an arcade stick kit like the one in the second picture to work on the original Xbox?


    • By Xbmcmodsforxbox
      Shoot offers tested and working selling as bundle xenium ice chip along with xenium sp ice solderless adapter.

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.