Which Version of the Original Xbox Is the Best? 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6?

I'd argue for a v1.2/v1.3 - younger than v1.0/v1.1 but still with the Conexant video chip, TSOP-able and often fitted with the better Samsung 605B DVD drive.

The younger and less used the better, particularly in relation to capacitors but the v1.6 lets itself down with Xcalibur video chip problem, less easy to chip and no TSOP. The v1.4 I'd go for if it wasn't for the fact the Focus video chip in mine clearly needs very different TV picture settings from any of the other Xboxes I've owned. Could be a one off thing but when that's all you have to judge it by you have to go with that. 

Now I'd go with any Xbox version with a well treated Hitachi DVD drive. That's simply because the DVD drive is the Xbox hardware weak point and the Hitachi, if not perfect, is proving to be the most mechanically reliable of the lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By konstan10
      I have an aladdin xt4064 chip that has lcd support, from like the early-mid 2000s. It works and all, I'm trying to sell it so send me an offer for it.
    • By Dougmeister
      It has literally been over 10 years since I've played it. One of the bootup screens says "Xecutor2" at the bottom, so that tells me that much at least.
      My main question is the three (3) dip switches on the front of the console. Someone else installed it for me, and I forget what each of them does.
      I think that the left-most one controls whether or not the modchip is active; you wanted to toggle that one off if you ever went onto XBox Live, I think.
      Can anyone help?
    • By calebTree
      I grabbed a Kernel file from this page and I flashed it with XBlastOS.
      Does the kernel have to match the original kernel? 
      What is the kernel relative to the BIOS? Normally kernel and BIOS are two very different components of a computer. I shouldn't have been able to flash the TSOP with the kernel correct?
      How are those kernels meant to be used?
      I was looking for the default BIOS.
      Thanks

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.