OGXbox.com

What mod is this?

amxcs

That bios is not one you can use. That is one of the most basic LPC mods I've ever seen. I would Either TSOP flash or buy a chip. 

If there is a way to flash this thing I'd be interested to know...

The bios on that chip is intended for Linux only and will not enable you to really do anything else. I've sent you a PM @amxcs

6 minutes ago, amxcs said:

Is there a (video) tutorial on how to do it.
I want to update the bios, put in a big hard drive and install whatever is needed.

I don't think he can flash a bios... since he doesn't have a bios that will allow him to flash a bios to the LPC and he only has one 256k bank... Am I not correct? I don't have much experience with linux bioses and what they can execute.

21 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I don't think he can flash a bios... since he doesn't have a bios that will allow him to flash a bios to the LPC and he only has one 256k bank... Am I not correct? I don't have much experience with linux bioses and what they can execute.

Cromwell / Linux BIOS should have a Flash BIOS option to reflash a modified Xbox BIOS so you can do normal Xbox things.

• Thanks 1

I searched too and can't find anything :)
Maybe it's just because I haven't dealt with xbox extensively, just soft mod one time 1 year ago and haven't touched it since.
If I remove the chip, softmod and then put the chip back in can I flash it?

EDIT: Maybe this? But I will need to connect a keyboard. :( I also have no idea which distro to use.

Edited by amxcs

21 minutes ago, amxcs said:

I searched too and can't find anything :)
Maybe it's just because I haven't dealt with xbox extensively, just soft mod one time 1 year ago and haven't touched it since.
If I remove the chip, softmod and then put the chip back in can I flash it?

EDIT: Maybe this? But I will need to connect a keyboard. :( I also have no idea which distro to use.

That's what I'm seeing yes. Raincoat is the only method I can find... Or, just buy a modchip... It'll be much easier to deal with in the future... and in the present. but if you can get raincoat to work, do it! just make sure you flash with Cerbios... SATA with startech adapter will handle UDMA 6. IDE will have to be UDMA 2, I believe.

XDSL. It's the only Distro I know of anyway... This is gonna be a pain in the ass... Mucho Modchippo!

On 11/3/2023 at 2:53 AM, amxcs said:

Is there a (video) tutorial on how to do it.
I want to update the bios, put in a big hard drive and install whatever is needed.

Is there no other menu displayed before the first screenshot you posted?

Press the Back button. Does a different menu appear?

If not, install an empty hard drive. What happens?

1 hour ago, herooftheday said:

would it boot xblast or gentoox from a cd?

I tried with OGXBox Installer and TruHeXEn 2021 - No boot

41 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Is there no other menu displayed before the first screenshot you posted?

Press the Back button. Does a different menu appear?

If not, install an empty hard drive. What happens?

I have already removed the chip and read the EEPROM with the RaspberryPi to prepare a hard drive with the HDD key.

I remembered that I have the chipmod console in the ceiling from many years ago. Now I got it, opened it, looked closely and it has the exact same chip and connected in the same way 1:1.
When I start it under the XBOX logo it says XECUTER2.
Can I hot swap the chips while it's running and flash the other one?

14 minutes ago, amxcs said:

I tried with OGXBox Installer and TruHeXEn 2021 - No boot

I have already removed the chip and read the EEPROM with the RaspberryPi to prepare a hard drive with the HDD key.

I remembered that I have the chipmod console in the ceiling from many years ago. Now I got it, opened it, looked closely and it has the exact same chip and connected in the same way 1:1.
When I start it under the XBOX logo it says XECUTER2.
Can I hot swap the chips while it's running and flash the other one?

Cromwell BIOS will only boot a Linux disc.  It will not boot a homebrew Xbox disc such as OGXbox Installer or TruHexen 2021.  It cannot be used to play games unless they run from Linux.

Yes, you can hotswap modchips or the SST49LF020 flash memory chip and reflash it when you are running a modified Xbox BIOS.  Use Evoxdash or XBlast OS XBE Edition to do so.

Edit: Hotswap - isn't the modchip soldered with wires directly to the LPC Debug port?  Really hotswapping if you had to desolder and resolder all the wires to remove and reinstall the modchip.

The Cromwell BIOS should have a menu such as shown below for this 2.40  release.

Cromwell_Firmware_on_an_Xbox.jpg

Source: Cromwell_Firmware_on_an_Xbox.jpg (1286×966) (wikimedia.org)

I suspect it doesn't appear because there's no hard drive installed. 

Fix: Install an empty unlocked hard drive.

The Flash BIOS menu option is in the Advanced menu to the right.

Cromwell Manual - Xbox-Linux (archive.org)  [Edit: Oops, I need to find a newer version with the Flash menu instructions. Hmm, looks like the instructions were never added to the xbox-linux wiki before they closed down.]

7 hours ago, amxcs said:

I'm thinking of removing the chip, softmod (rev 1.1) and then flashing the original bios (TSOP). Which bios will you recommend me? Cerbios?

Please do NOT softmod your console. ( @SS_Dave ) I literally just watched somebody brick their console attempting to use the Rocky5 installer. That's not to say that it would be a regular occurrence, but there are so many shortcomings of that method I would sit here for an hour trying to enumerate them all... chief among them being: Since you are using software and a BFM to run unsigned executables, if that dashboard/BFM doesn't load for any reason, you are fucked and have no recourse... except maybe running an exploitable game and getting into the softmod menu. It's just super janky and riddled with possible problems. Rocky5 did a fine job and many people respect him very much for how much he has contributed, as well as being a mature, intelligent, stand-up guy... but I HATE softmodding. 😛 Also, if you're flashing a bios to the TSOP, that would be a hardmod, and you do NOT want to mix the two. So please do not add a softmod file structure to your HDD. I don't even know how that would be done since you have no HDD and can't run the softmod installer anyway. A new HDD would be blank. I would recommend using the TSOP flasher that @sweetdarkdestiny developed. It uses the same exploit, but performs a different action. I do TSOP flashes all the time. His flashing kit works perfectly. I use the file browser to move the Cerbios bios from the J partition, which is the flash drive, to the "Bios" folder that I create on C. I then locate the XBlast option on the menu and flash Cerbios with that to the TSOP.

Anyway, exploiting is done with a stock console (stock bios) and a stock HDD. You have neither. You would need to flash a bios before you can run anything except linux. That will either be with a chip, or by flashing the SST you have already with raincoat. Or, if you can find an unlocked stock HDD, you can use that to do the TSOP flash using the gamesave exploit. 

... Or, just buy a modchip and be done. 😛

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Cromwell BIOS should have a menu such as shown below for this 2.40  release.

Cromwell_Firmware_on_an_Xbox.jpg

Source: Cromwell_Firmware_on_an_Xbox.jpg (1286×966) (wikimedia.org)

I suspect it doesn't appear because there's no hard drive installed. 

Fix: Install an empty unlocked hard drive.

The Flash BIOS menu option is in the Advanced menu to the right.

Cromwell Manual - Xbox-Linux (archive.org)  [Edit: Oops, I need to find a newer version with the Flash menu instructions. Hmm, looks like the instructions were never added to the xbox-linux wiki before they closed down.]

His says Xbox Linux Clean Bios... is it just cromwell, but an earlier version?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I do TSOP flashes all the time. His flashing kit works perfectly. I use the file browser to move the Cerbios bios from the J partition, which is the flash drive, to the "Bios" folder that I create on C. I then locate the XBlast option on the menu and flash Cerbios with that to the TSOP.

Why? The flasher copies the files on his  own and loads XBLast so you can flash it.