OGXbox.com

MakeMHZ project stellar

ShinGoutetsu

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

But that's what I'm asking: if it runs with either 64mb or 128 then what's the point?

Oh, for the texture upgrades. Hope I can find THOSE...

Generally is only the emulators and dash boards that benefits from the extra ram.  

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, SS_Dave said:

Generally is only the emulators and dash boards that benefits from the extra ram.  

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yes, that is my understanding, mostly. Retail games have no programming to make use of it. 720 patched versions like for doom 3 do crash on 64mb, as opposed to Halo CE. 

On 6/21/2023 at 8:27 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes, that is my understanding, mostly. Retail games have no programming to make use of it, except 720 versions like for doom 3 which crash on 64mb. Those don't have texture packs. Must just be enough pixels/data.

A few games will support 720p as standard.

See here :)

https://www.neowin.net/news/these-are-the-games-you-can-play-in-720p-and-1080i-on-the-original-xbox/#:~:text=And%2C here's the list of games that support,06 Soccer 8 FIFA 07 Soccer More items

Doom is NOT on the list so i suspect that its a patched version that you have and is crashing with 64mb.

I went down this rabbit hole a long time ago when I got my first 128mb system. Patching lots of games etc and in the end I decided the end result was NOT worth the effort the majority of the time and gave up with it.  Too many crashes, graphical glitches etc. 

Edited by nikeymikey

25 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

A few games will support 720p as standard.

See here :)

https://www.neowin.net/news/these-are-the-games-you-can-play-in-720p-and-1080i-on-the-original-xbox/#:~:text=And%2C here's the list of games that support,06 Soccer 8 FIFA 07 Soccer More items

Doom is NOT on the list so i suspect that its a patched version that you have and is crashing with 64mb.

I went down this rabbit hole a long time ago when I got my first 128mb system. Patching lots of games etc and in the end I decided the end result was NOT worth the effort the majority of the time and gave up with it.  Too many crashes, graphical glitches etc. 

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that doom 3 had a retail 720 version. Those were two separate thoughts!

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered a few hours ago for my softmodded xbox. 

Speaking of which, is there a way for me to prepare an all new HDD for it? I want a fresh install now that I know a bit more about dashboards, the file system, and where to FTP things. Not really interested in copying over my current HDD. 

6 minutes ago, Knuxie said:

Ordered a few hours ago for my softmodded xbox. 

Speaking of which, is there a way for me to prepare an all new HDD for it? I want a fresh install now that I know a bit more about dashboards, the file system, and where to FTP things. Not really interested in copying over my current HDD. 

stellarOS will format for you.

Edited by lopenator

11 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Some news :)

IMG_7009.jpeg

Guess he should have done it and planned for it BEFORE the release, huh? Then it might have actually seemed like he had INTENEDED to do it in the first place. lol. Now he has to hear a bunch of bitching and be forced to support these things or his sales will suffer.

• Like 3

I see on his Discord he is pre selling the HDMI+ to add to the Stella chip.  At $159Aud plus post for the HDMI add on I think I will wait for the Nemesis version.

Even if I had to get a Open Xenium and the Nemesis HDMI I feel it would be cheaper.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I see Voultar has just finished a live stream of him installing Stellar, disappointed to see someone like that pushing such a closed product.  :(

Now THAT'S interesting... I didn't expect that at all.

Hell, I installed one, albeit because I didn't even mean to buy it. lol. I only meant to get the HD+ so I could use it with the STM32 module cuz I thought it would be a cool project alongside some Nemesis hardware.. And I'll admit it's a good product, absolutely. BOTH are. But I wish the HD+ would get its MCU back and things were much more collaborative, no doubt. It would have an overall better vibe about it. :) Well, that and all the other obvious things that we all know and that I've expressed extensively.

10 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Now THAT'S interesting... I didn't expect that at all.

Hell, I installed one, albeit because I didn't even mean to buy it. lol. I only meant to get the HD+ so I could use it with the STM32 module cuz I thought it would be a cool project alongside some Nemesis hardware.. And I'll admit it's a good product, absolutely. BOTH are. But I wish the HD+ would get its MCU back and things were much more collaborative, no doubt. It would have an overall better vibe about it. :) Well, that and all the other obvious things that we all know and that I've expressed extensively.

Watch it, he states that he has no like for MakeMHZ and his practices. Also see below :)

10 hours ago, Marty said:

You should watch the video. He has no praise for Dustin.

I have since rewatched the stream (well some of it) WITH the volume on and am aware of the statements he makes about MakeMHZ. I have also publicly apologised to Voultar on the YT comments. 

Its no excuse but it was late last night, It was boxing day, I was a little drunk and hasty :)

On 6/20/2023 at 1:26 PM, Dtomcat18 said:

I personally can’t complain since I knew before I bought it. I knew I was buying “beta”

I was in the same mindset. I bought it for what it would become, not what it was at the time. But it's been almost a year and there's still things listed on the feature page that haven't been added yet. It's weird to me to list those things and not mention "these are coming soon and these are already here". Don't get me wrong, it's a well designed board and it has the potential to be something powerful and new, but the more time that goes by, the less enthused I am about it as a product.

Personally, I'm also very disappointed at the DMCA hit they did against consolemods. The site didn't host any firmware files, it just said "here's the parts list, now go flash it with their firmware". It was so vague, that even my comment here should also qualify as breaking DMCA by that standard. I've been neutral to MM this whole time, aware of the controversy but giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's just getting harder to not be disappointed as time goes on. They recently added native support for modern Xbox gamepads, which is a good sign. It's not a dead project or anything. But between their business practices, the way they interact with the modding community, and failed targets for open sourcing projects (i.e. Atlas), it's just getting harder to be enthusiastic about their products. At this point, I can't see myself buying their products in the future.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GoTeamScotch said:

I was in the same mindset. I bought it for what it would become, not what it was at the time. But it's been almost a year and there's still things listed on the feature page that haven't been added yet. It's weird to me to list those things and not mention "these are coming soon and these are already here". Don't get me wrong, it's a well designed board and it has the potential to be something powerful and new, but the more time that goes by, the less enthused I am about it as a product.

Personally, I'm also very disappointed at the DMCA hit they did against consolemods. The site didn't host any firmware files, it just said "here's the parts list, now go flash it with their firmware". It was so vague, that even my comment here should also qualify as breaking DMCA by that standard. I've been neutral to MM this whole time, aware of the controversy but giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's just getting harder to not be disappointed as time goes on. They recently added native support for modern Xbox gamepads, which is a good sign. It's not a dead project or anything. But between their business practices, the way they interact with the modding community, and failed targets for open sourcing projects (i.e. Atlas), it's just getting harder to be enthusiastic about their products. At this point, I can't see myself buying their products in the future.

They've done things they shouldn't have and are covering their asses instead of doing the right thing and working with the community. It is indeed VERY unfortunate. It's a very good chip with a LOT of good features and the HDMI design they came up with that was based on the Ryzee119 open-source design (ADV5711 with accompanying STM32 firmware... which is probably based on Ryzee code) is quality stuff. But without getting too much into it, things will balance out and open source will probably win in this instance. That is what I'm predicting. 

6 hours ago, eeksdee said:

Just curious what feature you're wanting them most that isn't already there?

256MB RAM support. :) 

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

They've done things they shouldn't have and are covering their asses instead of doing the right thing and working with the community. It is indeed VERY unfortunate. It's a very good chip with a LOT of good features and the HDMI design they came up with that was based on the Ryzee119 open-source design (ADV5711 with accompanying STM32 firmware... which is probably based on Ryzee code) is quality stuff. But without getting too much into it, things will balance out and open source will probably win in this instance. That is what I'm predicting. 

256MB RAM support. :) 

The open source competitors seem to be getting there now with the HDMI mods. Now if we can get an existing modchip like openXenium or similar (or even an outright Stellar alternative) to beat the feature set that Stellar offers (even if some of it is non existent) then the scene will have triumphed. If that happens Stellar and everything that comes with it can then fade into obscurity for good, only coming up in the pages of Xbox history :)

• Like 1