OGXbox.com

Can't Download? Here's Why

Dixie Normous

This site is free. There are no nor will there ever be any pay walls to use this site in the way it is intended. The site is about a free exchange of information about modding and collecting for the Original Xbox. Really it's just a place for people who love that aging piece of hardware and have fond memories of it. It's not a site to supply you with downloads. With that said, it does have some... and you can gain access to them with time. 

Basically we don't want people joining just for downloads. We want people to take part in the community and exchange information with others about the Xbox. Some people have information that will be lost to time if we don't capture it and preserve it here. So if you're here just for downloads, those can ALL be found elsewhere fairly easily. Hosting and bandwidth are expensive, so we won't open downloads up to everyone on their first day. That will cause overage charges to us that we would very much like to avoid. 

If you MUST download from here today, there is an option but it is not what we are trying to push you to do. We would rather you take part and be an active member. We provide memberships for people to support the site which offsets some of the hosting costs. 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Yes all the files in download section can be found on the net with effort, but you landed here as it comes up first on Google.

Complaining about your search laxity will yield no positive merits and your input on the subject is not needed.

Don't think of the download section as a paywall. Pay to receive great support on all Xbox topics to keep the forum alive not archived.

Not many forums have the users we do with such helpful and knowledgeable members.

As this was your first post I truly hope we can change your mind when you actually have an issue that needs correction.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, brycieboi31 said:

Hosting and bandwidth costs money, yes. This is why google drive, dropbox, mediafire, mega.nz, onedrive, sugarsync, box, elephantdrive, idrive, pcloud, livedrive, hightail exist. You get my point. This rule is f*cking dumb.

Regards.

You missed the point. Your post was made under the premise that we exist to provide you with downloads. We don't. Nobody owes anybody else anything, and we certainly do not owe you or anyone else downloads. 
We exist to build a community and preserve the knowledge. The files exist NUMEROUS places. The knowledge is actually more scarce than the files since Xbox-Scene went under. So that's our purpose and that's why this rule isn't "f*cking dumb". The fact that this was spelled out in the OP and you STILL didn't get it means you are though. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, dcChiz said:

Nothing bad about this ^^

Reddit is a maze the search through and filled with people who think the Xbox discs spin/read backwards.   Xbins still exist and is mirrored.   I'd donate without downloads if you were going to take the spot of X-S.

Cheers.

We may fall short of the magic that was X-S... but the goal is to become as much like it as possible. Your participation here is as valuable as any donation. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 7:09 AM, OGXbox Admin said:

We may fall short of the magic that was X-S... but the goal is to become as much like it as possible. Your participation here is as valuable as any donation. 

Thanks for doing what you do.

I was a long time contributor to x-s, but left the scene 10 or so years ago. Getting back into my old Xbox now, this site has been super valuable. Just reading through posts is helpful.

Thanks again for providing such an important resource. Time isn't free.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 12:01 AM, lilito said:

Needing money is all well and good, but holy moly, this is an awful way to go about it. It took forever to figure out how to cancel that $2 per day charge - that's just scummy. Do better.

You chose it at sign up. There was a checkbox for "recurring".  
I have cancelled that particular 2 dollar per day membership as there were several people that didn't pay attention and due to a limitation of the forum software... that was the only way to do it. So that is now gone. It was done for convenience but people just weren't quite able to pull it off so I killed it. This site actually does not need money. 

Just to be clear... this site started out with no sort of paid option. The only reason they exist was by request so people could get past certain limitations that were in place to make the cost to me manageable. Thus if people want to bypass them, a small fee is required to offset the overage they will cause. So it works quite well but I could just remove those options, nobody could invoke overages and thus no need to offset. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/20/2021 at 3:56 AM, javiertoti said:

A new member here, just reading the issue with the downloads. Could you put this info in the same place that the download folder? I believe it would be faster for the new users find the suscription option.

Blesings.

That would be nice. Unfortunately the forum software has no such way to set that. If I modify the skin to put it there, it gets wiped out each time the forum/skin need updates which is every couple of weeks. 

• 1 month later...

I've just found this post, I understand why but 15 posts seems like a high number to contribute, I don't want to post without adding value to the forums.  The guides on this site were so well written I didn't need to ask for any help, other than one issue downloading an art package to fully mod and upgrade my xbox's HDD.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 6:47 AM, Dirtbag said:

I've just found this post, I understand why but 15 posts seems like a high number to contribute, I don't want to post without adding value to the forums.  The guides on this site were so well written I didn't need to ask for any help, other than one issue downloading an art package to fully mod and upgrade my xbox's HDD.

Your Username is awesome.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, Dixie Normous said:

This site is free. There are no nor will there ever be any pay walls to use this site in the way it is intended. The site is about a free exchange of information about modding and collecting for the Original Xbox. Really it's just a place for people who love that aging piece of hardware and have fond memories of it. It's not a site to supply you with downloads. With that said, it does have some... and you can gain access to them with time. 

Basically we don't want people joining just for downloads. We want people to take part in the community and exchange information with others about the Xbox. Some people have information that will be lost to time if we don't capture it and preserve it here. So if you're here just for downloads, those can ALL be found elsewhere fairly easily. Hosting and bandwidth are expensive, so we won't open downloads up to everyone on their first day. That will cause overage charges to us that we would very much like to avoid. 

If you MUST download from here today, there is an option but it is not what we are trying to push you to do. We would rather you take part and be an active member. We provide memberships for people to support the site which offsets some of the hosting costs. 

Thank you, Dixie Nomous! :P

Oh SHIT! My membership expired! I'm fixing that TODAY.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

3 hours ago, Halo_2 said:

Could we not stick everything on https://1fichier.com then when you get to 15 posts that sub forum section with links gets revealed.

Ive tried 3 times so far to download Xbox Repair Guide v2.1 and keep getting lost connection.

Its also a very slow download.

If it's not against the rules, or if admin is okay with it, I can host the file on my Google drive. 

Uh... Halo, check your PMs. Lol.

• 10 months later...