OGXbox.com

Weird Softmod Issue

Bowlsnapper

36 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

That was my thinking. :) A quick pop on the lpc with the pogo adapter and he’s got the eeprom. I’m really just curious if it would remedy the issue replacing those hdd files or partitions. Obviously the hard mod would but I kinda want to know what would fix the software side. It would dig at me not to find out. Lol

It will.  Since it's just a softmod it only modifies the files on the HDD so restoring the stock files and partitions will bring it back to a working state. 

If the eeprom is retrieved technically he could also use the old ndure 3.0 softmod method and just build the hdd already softmodded with FatXplorer.  I've done this so I could get multiple xboxes to a state where I could flash the tsop without a game save exploit and then rebuilt the HDD's again without the softmod to work with the tsop.  It's a bit of work but it does indeed work if all else fails.

And again. I never made a softmod installer and also again, you cant even tell me what app you have used of mine (There in non such as TSOP TOOL) so I can test it and see what did go wrong and if it was a part of any of the things I have made or just a case of PEBCAK.

Till then everthing I have made will stay offline. I have postet that before and funny enough you quotet it but still wondered whats going on....

@Rocky5 : I do not use a disc for providing softmodding with one exception. The only thing that has a "softmodding" part on it is the OGXBox Installer and that is a 1:1 copy from TruHeXEn. Everthing else is MC/USB and even there are only exploids to launch unleashx but no softmodding is going on. If you need some more infos, poke me on Discord.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fringle said:

It will.  Since it's just a softmod it only modifies the files on the HDD so restoring the stock files and partitions will bring it back to a working state. 

If the eeprom is retrieved technically he could also use the old ndure 3.0 softmod method and just build the hdd already softmodded with FatXplorer.  I've done this so I could get multiple xboxes to a state where I could flash the tsop without a game save exploit and then rebuilt the HDD's again without the softmod to work with the tsop.  It's a bit of work but it does indeed work if all else fails.

Oh yeah I’ve done it on many hdds before as well. :D I’m just curious if that’s the only issue. My assumption is that’s the only problem going on but as we’ve all run in to before….og Xboxes can be finicky sometimes. Lol. Hopefully it’ll be cut and dry though. I hadn’t even thought about that with the old ndure but yeah that would work too. Good call if all else fails!

I think everyone needs to hit the reset button and get their facts straight. There seems to be a lot of assumptions and a little misinformation going around. A year or so ago, @sweetdarkdestiny kindly offered to us, the use of his tool to perform a TSOP flash without the need of soft modding the Xbox. This tool does not provide a way to SOFT MOD your Xbox. Oddly enough, this seems to shine more light onto this problem after learning earlier that @Bowlsnapper was actually not the person that supposedly soft modded the problem Xbox. I say supposedly because I didn't catch this part of the story before offering possible solutions. I may have looked over that fact if it was stated earlier. 

It's possible your friend tried to use @sweetdarkdestiny's tool and borked the Xbox. 

47 minutes ago, Marty said:

Why is sweetdarkdestiny's softmod installer so broken?

Has he given up developing it?

So please try and catch up on the threads and the information in them before posting. We can all get along in here and get the help that is needed. But what we definitely CAN NOT do, is piss off the ones we come to for help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Honestly, I don't know. I assume that the installer installs a dash that is just renamed to xboxdash.xbe so the MS Bios will load it.

I never used a xboxdash.xbe for anything. Why should I do such shit? And to assume a default MS bios will load a dash just because it's named xboxdash.xbe is well more than stupid. 

You would know what you copied over by just reading the config of what ever you have used. TO hard I know. It is also just to hard to tell me which of the installer you have used me requesting it what 10 - 15 times now?  But hey "YOU WAS HERE!" right? You don't even get what I was saying with that don't you?

1 minute ago, Marty said:

I know. I'm just messing with you.

Your reactions are priceless....I can't help myself.

And here we go..... 

So I have made a decision.

I quite right here. Code your own shit or use HeXEn or what ever. Hope the childish behaviour of some members here was worth it even me trying to be helpful and to try solve problems. 

Huge Thanks @KaosEngineerand @SS_Davefor always being helpful and also a huge thanks @OGXbox Adminfor running this board up to this day. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I never used a xboxdash.xbe for anything. Why should I do such shit? And to assume a default MS bios will load a dash just because it's named xboxdash.xbe is well more than stupid. 

You would know what you copied over by just reading the config of what ever you have used. TO hard I know. It is also just to hard to tell me which of the installer you have used me requesting it what 10 - 15 times now?  But hey "YOU WAS HERE!" right? You don't even get what I was saying with that don't you?

And here we go..... 

So I have made a decision.

I quite right here. Code your own shit or use HeXEn or what ever. Hope the childish behaviour of some members here was worth it even me trying to be helpful and to try solve problems. 

Huge Thanks @KaosEngineerand @SS_Davefor always being helpful and also a huge thanks @OGXbox Adminfor running this board up to this day. 

...Woah! What happened while I was gone? It was only a few hours! 

@sweetdarkdestiny I really hope you don't mean that. Your contributions have been recognized and appreciated by many, including myself. If you take off it would be a loss to all of us. I really, really hope that doesn't happen.

I think this is an over reaction. You are perceiving jabs and criticisms where I don't believe they actually exist. For the record, my assumption has always been that something incorrect was done when using the softmod tool in your TSOP kit. I don't believe that you are making mistakes like that. I have tried to make it clear, but I don't know how else to do so.

I already sent you a pm saying that you deserve respect for your work and that I appreciate you. I hope those were not empty words to you. I meant it. 

... Um, anyway... This softmod? @Rocky5 Is there any way for me to confirm that fonts are the error by looking at the contents of this HDD on a PC?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Bowl has one of @Dtomcat18 picoprom readers though so he could extract the eeprom that way. At least I was thinking he had one. 

@MadMartigan Indeed I have the picoprom and the pogo adapter. I'm ready to update, but I cannot find the instructions on how to do so. I think that it just gets placed in root and gets run automatically when powered. I'm clarifying the procedure now with @Dtomcat18. Once I update, I will put in a good stock HDD in order to technically address this issue without hardmodding or anything related to it. :)

...And I LOVE hardmodding.

8 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I could be wrong as it's been a long time, but I don't recall even Rocky5's softmod installer adding a dash. It provided a simple version of Unleash for setup, but I still feel like you had to assign a dash. 

Rocky5's softmod installs UnleashX as a dashboard.  The simple white look is a custom skin.

On 11/30/2023 at 6:46 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

Admittedly, Mitty did attempt to do a softmod and TSOP on top of each other, but his failure happened before he even TSOPd so I don't think it has anything to do with that. I am scratching my head and trying to figure out what this could be. 

This isn't correct.  What happened was:

I softmodded using Rocky5's Softmod tool (possibly an old version) using AUF.  I have a Controller/USB adapter cable and was able to copy the AUF save game and Mod tool to the HDD.  Ran soft mod, which installed, box rebooted, booted into Softmod Dash (is it unleashX?  Not even sure). 

I bridged my TSOP solder points.  Up until this my box would boot and go until the default Softmod Dash and was working as expected, albeit on the stock 8gb drive of this v1.0 box.

I then FTP'd a copy of EVOX to a folder in the apps directory, and ran it from file explorer.  

This offered the ability to flash an M7 BIOS to TSOP.  And I did (stupidly).  This seemed to proceed as though it was working.

Box reboots.  I get standard Flubber, and then black screen and Orange light.  And this is where I'm stuck now.

Box will still run games from disc, but attempts to re/softmod fail and box simply reboots.  So something is screwy.

Just to reiterate, the Softmod didn't break my box, me attempting to flash an M7 Bios from Evox (which is probably installed in the wrong place) is what broke it, though the Flash didn't seem to succeed as I still get a standard Microsoft Xbox Splash screen before the black screen.

Edited by Mittyoz

4 hours ago, Mittyoz said:

This isn't correct.  What happened was:

I softmodded using Rocky5's Softmod tool (possibly an old version) using AUF.  I have a Controller/USB adapter cable and was able to copy the AUF save game and Mod tool to the HDD.  Ran soft mod, which installed, box rebooted, booted into Softmod Dash (is it unleashX?  Not even sure). 

I bridged my TSOP solder points.  Up until this my box would boot and go until the default Softmod Dash and was working as expected, albeit on the stock 8gb drive of this v1.0 box.

I then FTP'd a copy of EVOX to a folder in the apps directory, and ran it from file explorer.  

This offered the ability to flash an M7 BIOS to TSOP.  And I did (stupidly).  This seemed to proceed as though it was working.

Box reboots.  I get standard Flubber, and then black screen and Orange light.  And this is where I'm stuck now.

Box will still run games from disc, but attempts to re/softmod fail and box simply reboots.  So something is screwy.

Just to reiterate, the Softmod didn't break my box, me attempting to flash an M7 Bios from Evox (which is probably installed in the wrong place) is what broke it, though the Flash didn't seem to succeed as I still get a standard Microsoft Xbox Splash screen before the black screen.

Ah, I see what you're saying. That is actually my understanding, so maybe I was a bit confused. My understanding is that you softmodded and then tried to TSOP (You don't softmod and then hardmod Mitty! :P ) and you got the black screen after you TSOP flashed successfully. So the difference here is that a TSOP was never attempted and that the softmod installer alone put me where you are at now. So I'm a bit confused by that. If anybody can shed some light on what is probably booting and what isn't with consideration for the bios that is being run from the TSOP I would appreciate that.I still need to sit down and research how softmodding actually works.

I think loading xboxdash.xbe on C is last in the chain of looking for things like evoxdash.xbe on both C and E. So I believe that the softmod is at least TRYING to load but the TSOP is causing it to fail for whatever reason. If you booted stock when trying to stop flash and didn't boot from the LPC, then your TSOP was exposed and is what was written to. The MS dash is still trying to load but cannot for some unknown reason, otherwise it would still be booting fine as it was before. There is nowhere else the bios could have flashed to other than the TSOP.

I am having this problem with no hardmod at all so I'm definitely confused as to what's happening here.

23 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I think everyone needs to hit the reset button and get their facts straight. There seems to be a lot of assumptions and a little misinformation going around. A year or so ago, @sweetdarkdestiny kindly offered to us, the use of his tool to perform a TSOP flash without the need of soft modding the Xbox. This tool does not provide a way to SOFT MOD your Xbox. Oddly enough, this seems to shine more light onto this problem after learning earlier that @Bowlsnapper was actually not the person that supposedly soft modded the problem Xbox. I say supposedly because I didn't catch this part of the story before offering possible solutions. I may have looked over that fact if it was stated earlier. 

It's possible your friend tried to use @sweetdarkdestiny's tool and borked the Xbox. 

So please try and catch up on the threads and the information in them before posting. We can all get along in here and get the help that is needed. But what we definitely CAN NOT do, is piss off the ones we come to for help. 

The softmod installer is bundled into the TSOP installer. It's a bit buried in the menu, but it's there. The TSOP function obviously doesn't do it, but it is in the boot menu of the TSOP installer/kit. That is what was used here. I'm sure it's just a version of the regular softmod installer.

13 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

If you would've read this post, you would've seen where I already said this. 

Further proving my point that people aren’t entirely reading these threads before posting comments.

I dont think you even read your own comments in this thread.   In every reply you have claimed users need to install their own dashboard.  That is simply not accurate

On 11/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, MadMartigan said:

You'll still need to add a dash from the sound of it. I don't recall soft mods doing that automatically. 

On 11/29/2023 at 5:00 PM, MadMartigan said:

I could be wrong as it's been a long time, but I don't recall even Rocky5's softmod installer adding a dash. It provided a simple version of Unleash for setup, but I still feel like you had to assign a dash. 

On 11/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, MadMartigan said:

So you tried booting into an install disc and that doesn't load either? 

I was referring to the basic white screen provided by the Rocky5 softmod. It's the very minimalistic dash with a few text options such as Apps and Emulators. I always had to assign my own dashboard with an install disc like Rocky5's extras disc or OGXBOXInstaller. I have no clue what you've done over there...

The Rocky5 softmod installer does not require the extras disc for you to have a dashboard.  UnleashX is installed by default during the softmod process.  If you want to install a different dashboard you certainly can but this claim you need to install through another disc to make it work is inaccurate.

3 minutes ago, RMM said:

I dont think you even read your own comments in this thread.   In every reply you have claimed users need to install their own dashboard.  That is simply not accurate

Please point out in any one of those posts above, where I “claimed” that he needed to. I suggested to give it a shot due my lack of remembering the soft mod days. Reading comprehension can be tough, I understand. 

13 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:
21 minutes ago, RMM said:

Please point out in any one of those posts above, where I “claimed” that he needed to. I suggested to give it a shot due my lack of remembering the soft mod days. Reading comprehension can be tough, I understand. 

It is right there in your own words.  You have claimed several times users need to install their own dashboard with the Rocky5 softmod.  Bowlsnapper even pointed out to you why this was wrong.  If the softmod didnt install a dashboard, none of them would boot.  The dashboard is installed during the softmod process.

Arrggg. 

Okay, Marty mentioned the things he did and I understood that he was running based on assumptions that he conceded may have been inaccurate or incomplete. In some posts he did not, but I still ran with that understanding and either confirmed or denied those things based on what I did know. Not a big deal. He was posting in order to try to be helpful and I know that.

RMM, try not to take the criticisms personally. Yes, unleashx is technically a dash, even in the limited form that comes with the TSOP kit and the softmod installer,, and I think that should be clarified, however basic the dash might be, but you can point it out to him without being pissed off. Marty, same to you. If you have things to present to each other please do it in a level headed way and just present your reasoning and evidence for stating your positions. Try to avoid the "I told you so and you should know it" tone. Convincing somebody that you may be correct about something or that you may be wrong about something should be about moving forward together better informed and educated. At least we can understand where we're all coming from at the end of the day.

I'm not trying to be Dad, I just don't like to see people bickering at each other over something that I feel they shouldn't be.

Unless you are MakeMHZ, you deserve to be heard and to be given a break. 😛 @MadMartigan @RMM

@Mittyoz What did you use to flash the TSOP? The TSOP kit that Sweet made installs a basic UnleashX dash. Maybe this is what is causing the compatibility issue?

1 minute ago, FrostyMaGee said:

@Bowlsnapper did you end up restoring c and e or just replacing dashboard files in case of data corruption? Or did you just decide to put a chip in it?

I'm still stuck on updating the picoprom. I'm about to do it. Just cleaning my room/laboratory. Lol. I can't run an installer so I can't wipe out anything on the HDD. I will probably rebuild the LPC and chip it, since I have 7 Xblasts in my drawer. Lol.

7 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I'm still stuck on updating the picoprom. I'm about to do it. Just cleaning my room/laboratory. Lol. I can't run an installer so I can't wipe out anything on the HDD. I will probably rebuild the LPC and chip it, since I have 7 Xblasts in my drawer. Lol.

Oh ok. Lol. Well if you end up doing let me know. I feel like data corruption was the issue with that one. It is tempting to just chip it since you have the xblasts anyway. Lol. 

6 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Oh ok. Lol. Well if you end up doing let me know. I feel like data corruption was the issue with that one. It is tempting to just chip it since you have the xblasts anyway. Lol. 

Possibly... I'm running it for the first time and I'm hearing the hard drive throw random read clicks in short bursts every second or so. not the failure kind, but like it's trying to read something in an infinite loop... @Rocky5