OGXbox.com

Weird Softmod Issue

Bowlsnapper

There is a way to remove softmod files and install them, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to try to figure out what combination of things will save this HDD and keep a softmod... Should I just chip it and call it a day? 😛 I have splinter cell and can load the TSOP kit, but the thought of saving a softmod gives me a headache. 😛

the disc is loading up on boot now... Okay cool... Not sure what to do with that, though. Lol. L, lt and start seem to either IGR or load a backup dash and it runs the same. Random groups of clicking every second. I am going to assume that the the fonts are the wrong version and that this will not work. I am not sure which installer is on the TSOP kit, but if this is the cause, it did not automatically install the fonts and it needed to be done manually first. I have no idea. Anyway. Time to update the picoprom! :)

wait... I just realized I can FTP with the installer disc and that I can copy over the correct fonts file... Hmmm

1 hour ago, RMM said:

It is right there in your own words.  You have claimed several times users need to install their own dashboard with the Rocky5 softmod.  Bowlsnapper even pointed out to you why this was wrong.  If the softmod didnt install a dashboard, none of them would boot.  The dashboard is installed during the softmod process.

It was all suggestive as Bowl has mentioned above. “I think”, “seems like”, “from the sounds of it”. I said from the start that I couldn’t recall and wouldn’t have kept thinking of different solutions afterward. There was no reason in making your comment when it was already recognized by both parties involved in the conversation. It offered zero help. Especially after I’m the one that was already trying to keep the peace in here.

I’m here strictly to catch up and lend a hand if I can, not to fuss like children. Now someone is telling me to present things in a level headed manor? 

Haven’t been back active for a week now and can already see that the toxicity of this place has really taken a turn for the worst. I’ve never seen Sweetdarkdestiny get that mad. I’m wondering now if it had been building over time because of shit like this.

6 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

It was all suggestive as Bowl has mentioned above. “I think”, “seems like”, “from the sounds of it”. I said from the start that I couldn’t recall and wouldn’t have kept thinking of different solutions afterward. There was no reason in making your comment when it was already recognized by both parties involved in the conversation. It offered zero help. Especially after I’m the one that was already trying to keep the peace in here.

I’m here strictly to catch up and lend a hand if I can, not to fuss like children. Now someone is telling me to present things in a level headed manor? 

Haven’t been back active for a week now and can already see that the toxicity of this place has really taken a turn for the worst. I’ve never seen Sweetdarkdestiny get that mad. I’m wondering now if it had been building over time because of shit like this.

I've seen him get frustrated before, but this is a new one. I am attempting to avoid such an environment. I hope he thinks about it and comes back, but I have no way to know... It seemed like he was taking certain comments as slights against him and I don't think anything leading up to that was the case... Really, really sucks.

46 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

There is a way to remove softmod files and install them, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to try to figure out what combination of things will save this HDD and keep a softmod... Should I just chip it and call it a day? 😛 I have splinter cell and can load the TSOP kit, but the thought of saving a softmod gives me a headache. 😛

the disc is loading up on boot now... Okay cool... Not sure what to do with that, though. Lol. L, lt and start seem to either IGR or load a backup dash and it runs the same. Random groups of clicking every second. I am going to assume that the the fonts are the wrong version and that this will not work. I am not sure which installer is on the TSOP kit, but if this is the cause, it did not automatically install the fonts and it needed to be done manually first. I have no idea. Anyway. Time to update the picoprom! :)

wait... I just realized I can FTP with the installer disc and that I can copy over the correct fonts file... Hmmm

You could also grab the eeprom since ftp is up. :D 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

My vote is always for the chip. You mentioned “random groups of clicking”. Are they from the HDD? If FTP’ing clean files doesn’t fix it, the offer for a replacement drive is still on the table.

2 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I've seen him get frustrated before, but this is a new one. I am attempting to avoid such an environment. I hope he thinks about it and comes back, but I have no way to know... It seemed like he was taking certain comments as slights against him and I don't think anything leading up to that was the case... Really, really sucks.

I sent him a message. Better give him some time to cool off. I saw several of said comments and those too were uncalled for. I don’t think some people realize who some of the major contributors are. It’s a shame 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

My vote is always for the chip. You mentioned “random groups of clicking”. Are they from the HDD? If FTP’ing clean files doesn’t fix it, the offer for a replacement drive is still on the table.

That makes me wonder if the issue was corruption from a failing hdd. Clicking is always a bad sign. Lol. As you said clean files won’t fix that issue. 

Edit: loud clicking at least. Lol

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I sent him a message. Better give him some time to cool off. I saw several of said comments and those too were uncalled for. I don’t think some people realize who some of the major contributors are. It’s a shame 

Yeah, the HDD clicks like it's reading something every second or so when the light turns orange and the exploit is loaded. Just sits at a black screen. Although, if the orange light indicates that the exploit was loaded, does that only mean that the BFM loaded but not necessarily the dash? I'm wondering if updating the fonts will make a difference if they are already serving their purpose as part of the boot process and it is being indicated...

2 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

That makes me wonder if the issue was corruption from a failing hdd. Clicking is always a bad sign. Lol. As you said clean files won’t fix that issue. 

... MAYBE. There weren't any obvious signs of failure beforehand, but it was serving in a stock capacity before so maybe it couldn't be provoked? The clicks are not hard, loud and single like the head is slamming into the wall. They are read clicks. groupings. like a read is happening every second or so.

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yeah, the HDD clicks like it's reading something every second or so when the light turns orange and the exploit is loaded. Just sits at a black screen. Although, if the orange light indicates that the exploit was loaded, does that only mean that the BFM loaded but not necessarily the dash? I'm wondering if updating the fonts will make a difference if they are already serving their purpose as part of the boot process and it is being indicated...

Given that info I feel like the hdd def needs to be replaced. It’s not dead yet but sounds like it’s on it’s way out. Probably bad sectors as well. 

1 hour ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I always save the magnets out of the old mechanical drives. They come in handy. 

used one of those yesterday to find a loose needle on my floor, saved me from probably needing a tetanus shot, the mirrors are a great too, the screws... every dead drive is like a little treasure chest of $$ savings

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 9:33 PM, fox said:

used one of those yesterday to find a loose needle on my floor, saved me from probably needing a tetanus shot, the mirrors are a great too, the screws... every dead drive is like a little treasure chest of $$ savings

Just the magnets? What do you salvage from a dead drive?