OGXbox.com

Bypassing the need for a clock capacitor on 1.6 model Xboxes

Mu.

Redherring32 (of OpenTendo fame) has been putting in some research into bypassing the need for a clock capacitor on the 1.6 revision Xbox; unlike the prior models a 1.6 will not boot without it. By removing R7P3 and R7P6 current limiting resistors which go to the positive leg of the clock cap and then connecting 3v3 standby voltage to that same leg, you can remove it entirely and still have a functioning system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mu. said:

Redherring32 (of OpenTendo fame) has been putting in some research into bypassing the need for a clock capacitor on the 1.6 revision Xbox; unlike the prior models a 1.6 will not boot without it. By removing R7P3 and R7P6 current limiting resistors which go to the positive leg of the clock cap and then connecting 3v3 standby voltage to that same leg, you can remove it entirely and still have a functioning system.

So will a 220 ohm resister in place of the clock cap and it's even easier to do.

I attempted this the other night but will have to run the test again. I have a small stack of 1.6 boards that i had done the LPC rebuild and confirmed working when chipped. I pulled one out, removed the clock, the 2 resistors, and ran the standby wire.  When i went to power the xbox, my pata adapter LED indicator flashed for a second, but no power to the board.  I then put the clock cap back on, and the 2 resistors and the xbox now powered back up, but i was getting a power/cycle frag. I removed the rebuild and LPC header and put a new set on, now the unit is working as it should.  Obviously i had a fault rebuild, but curious as to why the xbox did not frag in the same fashion with this mod in place.  I'll retry this in the next day or two and report back. Has anyone else tried and confirmed this working?

3 hours ago, TinkerMods said:

What am I missing here? I don't get the point lol, it's not like the 1.6 has the same leakage or damage issues as the other versions so from my point of view this seems like a huge waste of time?

Did you not see this picture ? from a thread on this site

1-6-clock-cap-damage.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Did you not see this picture ? from a thread on this site

1-6-clock-cap-damage.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What in the world? since when has this been a thing? I have never seen that on a 1.6 and I've dealt with thousands of them lol

Edited by TinkerMods

As I stated on the other thread. It was always going to be a thing. Capacitors b surface mount and electrolytic will leak or dry out.  Changing them before they damage the board will be then new thing in a year or so.

To be fair the factory ones are less than great quality wise, so replacing them with better ones will be easy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TinkerMods said:

What in the world? since when has this been a thing? I have never seen that on a 1.6 and I've dealt with thousands of them lol

I have seen 2 like this in the last 6 months

1-6-gold-cap.jpg

Now I just replace the clock cap in the 1.6 boards with a 220ohm resistor.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:04 AM, SS_Dave said:

I have seen 2 like this in the last 6 months

1-6-gold-cap.jpg

Now I just replace the clock cap in the 1.6 boards with a 220ohm resistor.

Cheers

SS Dave

At this moment I remove the clock cap from 1.6 boards (as they indeed commonly are leaking, hidden under the legs) and replace them with a new super condensator (which the clock cap is). So it will be good again for 10+ years. Using a 220ohm resistor is also an idea. Will keep that one in mind. Besides of that I'm checking my consoles internals every 3 to 4 years.

• Like 2