OGXbox.com

Is it possible to tsop flash a 1.1 to 1.5 board without the original HDD

Johny white

Was doing a clear out and find an board under my desk that still boots but I'm missing the original HDD. I tried all the HDD's I got but they all gave error code 6 which I understands the board was unable to unlock the HDD. I've Aladding XT and Open xenium chips, can I install either to get around the HDD and flash the tsop or its never gonna happen without the orignal HDD?

Yes, Install one of the chips. This will at least allow you to start with a freshly formatted hdd, made using fatXplorer beta on your PC, you can use that program to mount the hardrive to your pc and install a dashboard (UnleashX for example) to get the xbox booting.

Then I would suggest, if your dvd drive is working to grab the OGXbox Installer 2021 iso, burn it and boot that to setup your drive properly. I think it will also allow you to flash your TSOP. 

You can go old school and grab an eprom reader pull the code from a known machine then drop the code on to the unknown one. 

I used to do this all the time in the old days, it takes seconds.

Once you have access you can  null the  eprom and all aftermarket bios’s dont care about HD locks

12 hours ago, big F said:

You can go old school and grab an eprom reader pull the code from a known machine then drop the code on to the unknown one. 

I used to do this all the time in the old days, it takes seconds.

Once you have access you can  null the  eprom and all aftermarket bios’s dont care about HD locks

I've got couple of eprom programmers/readers. You got more details or guide on this?

2 hours ago, Johny white said:

I've got couple of eprom programmers/readers. You got more details or guide on this?

Hers a tut that goes over the basics of building and using an EEPROM reader. Some of it should apply to you using your existing equipment. Its really easy to do and the eeprom chip does not need to be removed from the xbox either. 

XBox EEPROM Reader/Writer : 10 Steps - Instructables

TSOP flash and EEPROM are two different memory chips on the Xbox's motherboard.

The TSOP (U7D1) holds the BIOS that boots the console (256KBs flash memory chip on v1.2-1.4 Xboxes or 1MB flash memory chip on v1.0/1.1 Xboxes).  The 1MB chip holds 4 copies of a 256KB BIOS flashed one after the other to fill the entire chip's storage space (1MB chips the top two and bottom one in the following picture - v1.0/1.1 TSOPs, the third and fourth chips are 256KB flash chips - v1.2-1.4 TSOPs).

spacer.png

Source: https://github.com/gotbletu/wikimd/blob/master/xbox-softmod.md

The EEPROM holds 256 bytes (2,048 bits) of configuration data.  It is an 8-pin serial access EEPROM memory chip, ST24C02, at location U7C2. It is connected to the Xboxes SMBus (System Management - I²C bus). To read/write data from/to it, a 3-wire connection - SDA - Serial Data, SCL - Serial Clock and Ground is used.  The chip itself must also be powered from its Vdd pin (usually no reader/writer connection is required since the chip is powered with the Xboxes power supply).

1626916027_AT24C02SerialEEPROM8-pinSOICPackage.png.08bab1663776cf52a244dbbbc4068b82.png

Source: AtMEL AT24C01A/02/04/08A/16A Datasheet 

Note: On the linked webpage, alldatasheet.com has mislabeled the function of this chip as a Schmitt Trigger, Filtered Inputs for Noise Suppression which it is not. It is a 2,048 bit serial access EEPROM.

Hello, for my part I work in the following way:
1- I weld an aladin xt type chip and I connect the flash points of the tsop.
2- I start the console on the chip with an unlocked original hard disk that I relock using a boot cd.
3-I insert a modified backup of 007 in the hard disk
4- I deactivate the aladdin chip
5- I start on the game 007 then I launch the backup exploit and I launch the flash tsop.
Edited by Bgsmods59

8 hours ago, Bgsmods59 said:
Hello, for my part I work in the following way:
1- I weld an aladin xt type chip and I connect the flash points of the tsop.
2- I start the console on the chip with an unlocked original hard disk that I relock using a boot cd.
3-I insert a modified backup of 007 in the hard disk
4- I deactivate the aladdin chip
5- I start on the game 007 then I launch the backup exploit and I launch the flash tsop.

Thanks for the info but how does it help OP?

@OP As Kaos says was the xbox turned on when you tried to read the eeprom? I have done it many many times using the 3 wire method.

I have a reader cable made up that has 2 wires that go into the lpc (SDA and SDL)port and one that has a clip that goes to ground. On the other end it has a serial plug that plugs into an older laptop. I can then use PonyProg to read and write the eeprom. 

• 4 weeks later...

The programmer probably can not supply enough current to power the eeprom and it also need to power up 50% or more of the board.

When I have the a board with a dead HDD I fit a Xblast modchip and used that to lock a spare HDD to that board that can then boot from the stock bios in order to re-flash it.

Once it's been re-flashed I unlock the HDD ready for the next time.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

When I have the a board with a dead HDD I fit a Xblast modchip and used that to lock a spare HDD to that board that can then boot from the stock bios in order to re-flash it.

This is what I do, I even have a 10gb drive just for this purpose.  In this day and age what else can you really do with slow 10 and 8gb hard drives anyway.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:08 PM, SS_Dave said:

The programmer probably can not supply enough current to power the eeprom and it also need to power up 50% or more of the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Nice one Dave, this is certainely an easier fix than trying to dump the eeprom. I'll give that a go

On 7/3/2022 at 9:08 PM, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Just to be clear, I need to get a spare xbox HDD, unlock that on its original motherboard then use it with the other motherboard that has the faulty HDD and lock the drive to it?

On 7/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, Johny white said:

Figured it out, had to unlock the HDD onto the original motherboard it came from before locking to the other one so I know how it works now. After I got it flashed, I unlocked so the HDD is unlocked ready to use on any other board.

Thanks again for the great tip.

Glad it worked for you and it sure bets reading and writing the eeprom data

Cheers

SS Dave