OGXbox.com

XBoX V1.2 - Does Not Power On Anymore

Kura

Hi all, I have an issue with my XBOX that doesn't power on anymore.

Model: 1.2
TSOP: Yes, iND-2003
Mods: None other than removal of the clock capacitor
Misc: Using the Chimeric Systems HDMI adapter (which is awesome)

Yesterday I received a new modchip from eBay, the Xenium Gold with the 24K OS on it.  I swapped out my old Aladdin chip and fired it up with no issues.  I proceeded to add EvoxM8+, iND-2004, and XBlast on it.  I tested all 3 BIOS and they all worked fine.  From here I decided to do the 128mb RAM upgrade.  I've successfully performed this upgrade once before.  I'm using the same RAM that I purchased from eBay over a year ago that worked on my previous install on my other 1.3 XBOX: SAMSUNG 525 K4D263238F-QC50

I proceeded to solder in all the chips, but when I went to turn on the XBOX nothing happened.  No light, no response, nothing.  I don't ever recall hearing a pop or a snap.  I double checked that I connected everything.

Troubleshooting:
- I thought it might be the PSU so I swapped in the working PSU from the 1.3 XBOX that I successfully did the RAM upgrade on and the same results.
- The only thing I noticed was that when I pressed eject or power on either PSU, the Xenium chip LED lit up.  If I held either button the LED just flashed.  Other than that, no activity from the board whatsoever
- One thing I noticed is that I soldered the final chip in backwards (chip 4 according to the XBlast diagram, the one closest to the ATX plug).  I should have taken a break after 2 chips due to fatigue but I pushed through and I guess I wasn't paying attention.  I used my hot rework station to pull the chip off and turn it around.  Same results.
- After this I decided to just pull the other 3 chips off to troubleshoot it from scratch, but no joy.
- The repairs for power buttons I've seen after searching are mostly just the trace repairs on the 1.0/1.1.  I'm not great at troubleshooting so I wouldn't know where to begin without a guide on the 1.2 XBOX.

Did I fry the board somehow?  Did putting the RAM in backwards just kill it?  Did I ESD shock it?   Did I get the iron next to something that I shouldn't have for too long and didn't notice?  Here's some pics I uploaded to imgur since they're too big.  I can take more photos or better photos of certain things if needed.   Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/iM2cj5y

Edited by Kura

3 hours ago, Kura said:

Hi all, I have an issue with my XBOX that doesn't power on anymore.

Model: 1.2
TSOP: Yes, iND-2003
Mods: None other than removal of the clock capacitor
Misc: Using the Chimeric Systems HDMI adapter (which is awesome)

Yesterday I received a new modchip from eBay, the Xenium Gold with the 24K OS on it.  I swapped out my old Aladdin chip and fired it up with no issues.  I proceeded to add EvoxM8+, iND-2004, and XBlast on it.  I tested all 3 BIOS and they all worked fine.  From here I decided to do the 128mb RAM upgrade.  I've successfully performed this upgrade once before.  I'm using the same RAM that I purchased from eBay over a year ago that worked on my previous install on my other 1.3 XBOX: SAMSUNG 525 K4D263238F-QC50

I proceeded to solder in all the chips, but when I went to turn on the XBOX nothing happened.  No light, no response, nothing.  I don't ever recall hearing a pop or a snap.  I double checked that I connected everything.

Troubleshooting:
- I thought it might be the PSU so I swapped in the working PSU from the 1.3 XBOX that I successfully did the RAM upgrade on and the same results.
- The only thing I noticed was that when I pressed eject or power on either PSU, the Xenium chip LED lit up.  If I held either button the LED just flashed.  Other than that, no activity from the board whatsoever
- One thing I noticed is that I soldered the final chip in backwards (chip 4 according to the XBlast diagram, the one closest to the ATX plug).  I should have taken a break after 2 chips due to fatigue but I pushed through and I guess I wasn't paying attention.  I used my hot rework station to pull the chip off and turn it around.  Same results.
- After this I decided to just pull the other 3 chips off to troubleshoot it from scratch, but no joy.
- The repairs for power buttons I've seen after searching are mostly just the trace repairs on the 1.0/1.1.  I'm not great at troubleshooting so I wouldn't know where to begin without a guide on the 1.2 XBOX.

Did I fry the board somehow?  Did putting the RAM in backwards just kill it?  Did I ESD shock it?   Did I get the iron next to something that I shouldn't have for too long and didn't notice?  Here's some pics I uploaded to imgur since they're too big.  I can take more photos or better photos of certain things if needed.   Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/iM2cj5y

As SDD says check the pads for a short, I did a ram upgrade and it would turn on until I removed a solder bridge.

• Like 1

Yep, the bridged pads were it.  I was under the impression that I'd just turn it on, and it would boot anyway and just yell at me for bad memory chip installs.  

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the quick replies sweetdarkdestiny, bolofski, and Ging3rguy.

This community rocks.

Hello,

first, gently clean your ram pads with flux and a solder cupper remover. Then, install an Aladin XT lite with Xblast lite firmware, you will be able able to boot after each memory added in order to see if you job is ok before going the next chip.

Where do you live ?

bye

I would have used the Aladdin chip with the  Xblast BIOS'  this is the preferred option with the D0 on the main board linked to ground and the BT on the mod chip linked to ground on the mod chip.

Or set the Open Xenium to default load(Quick boot) the Xblast BIOS by fitting it in a different Xbox

The only thing that can load during a ram upgrade is Xblast and even the Open Xenium OS will not load.

with the modchip disconnected you will probably get a 50% red and 50% orange LED flash that means a RAM fail.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.