The Final Word On Sata Ssd's?

I'm planning to put in a new hard drive as the 320gb IDE hard drive that I was using has crapped out on me. Now, I'm thinking that I would prefer a 480gb sata ssd as it's more than enough storage for all of my backed up games that I care about playing. Obviously the advantages over a normal sata mechanical hardrive or even IDE is power consumption and noise. But I've seen some advice given that suggests that using a SSD in the Xbox might not be the best idea, as the Xbox OS obviously doesn't have TRIM support, thus eventually causing problems and possible deterioration of the SSD drive.

I'm curious to here from people that have used SSD's in their xbox for the long term now. Have you ran into any problems? is this something I should be concerned about?

Edited by elrud14

I have seen people reporting no problems with a SSD in an Xbox long term.

I have tried a 1tb SSD in a Xbox but because there was no real gains it was short lived and back to a 7200rpm WD black drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 5 months later...

As the SSD in the XBox is mostly going to spend it's life only reading and not constantly writing like in a Windows PC then there is absolutely no problems with the Xbox not supporting trim.  Once your games are on it there is very little write activity I'd imagine.  The SSD should be a reasonable thing to do and more reliable than a hard drive especially as most people are using quite dated hard drives in their xboxes.

On 4/27/2020 at 1:51 AM, elrud14 said:

I'm planning to put in a new hard drive as the 320gb IDE hard drive that I was using has crapped out on me. Now, I'm thinking that I would prefer a 480gb sata ssd as it's more than enough storage for all of my backed up games that I care about playing. Obviously the advantages over a normal sata mechanical hardrive or even IDE is power consumption and noise. But I've seen some advice given that suggests that using a SSD in the Xbox might not be the best idea, as the Xbox OS obviously doesn't have TRIM support, thus eventually causing problems and possible deterioration of the SSD drive.

I'm curious to here from people that have used SSD's in their xbox for the long term now. Have you ran into any problems? is this something I should be concerned about?

i have read several things that say ssd's don't work well with the xbox because the xbox constantly writes to it's cache or something and i have read where several people say that their ssd failed in the xbox after a relatively short time. if u want a quiet drive then get a seagate barracuda 5400rpm(the 7200rpm are usually noisy). the 5400rpm barracuda's are almost silent. the xbox cooling fan will make far more noise than the seagate drive. i have one in a hard modded xbox it works excellent.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, C64MidRezzie said:

Is the only benefit the noise factor?  That would be enough to sway me as long as using an ssd doesn't deteriorate the drive.

For the most part, yes. Temps may be slightly lower but negligible and the cooling fan is louder than any HDD I have ever put in an Xbox no matter 5400 or 7200rpm. The biggest benefit of an SSD which is speed is entirely lost on the Xbox because it is limited to the maximum speed of the PATA interface. Also, don't forget if you are going to go SSD you must use a SATA to IDE adapter and unless you can find a very old one an 80 conductor IDE cable is required for the drive to function properly.