OGXbox.com

Xbox Hd Component Pack Vs. Official Xbox Component Cable, Any Differences Pros or Cons?

Hey Everyone,

I used to have the official xbox component cable, but like a fool didn't understand their value until now. I just recently got back into xbox, purchased a system I'm working on repairing and modding, and I was able to locate a advance high definition AV pack with the component connections. just curious, is the breakout box better than the cable? or about they the same?

Thanks!

~John

Edited by JohnnyPhantom

I have pretty much every official connection type somewhere in a box, I have to say the official component cable with fiber-optic audio is the best. I remember seeing a youtube tutorial on taking the xbox 360 component cable and soldering on an original xbox connector. link here

I plan on doing this in the future as I know i have an original xbox 360 component cable lying around somewhere that came with my 360. It would be like brand new as I only used HDMI to play

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the official breakout box, i found one for a decent price, and cheaper than the official cable. One plus to it is I can use my own cables and I can change the length if need be, plus maybe easier to repair if it ever goes bad. Not as clean as a setup as the cable, but that's fine with me. I was temped to make my own component cable, or do a wii2hdmi mod

On 3/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, JohnnyPhantom said:

Hey Everyone,

I used to have the official xbox component cable, but like a fool didn't understand their value until now. I just recently got back into xbox, purchased a system I'm working on repairing and modding, and I was able to locate a advance high definition AV pack with the component connections. just curious, is the breakout box better than the cable? or about they the same?

Thanks!

~John

The Advanced AV pack is not the same thing as the High Definition AV pack.  There's not an Advanced High Definition AV Pack. 

The Advanced AV Pack is still composite video but also includes an S-video output. It does not provide high definition component video out.

So, which one did you find:

• High Definition AV Pack, or
  • Advanced AV Pack?

My inquiry is somewhat related, I'm considering whether to get either the HD AV Pack or official component cables vs an RGB cable from RGC. I know they make high quality third-party cables for other consoles in the first place, so I'm curious how they stack up against the official component output. I have a PAL console too, and I'm going to be running whatever solution I go with through an OSSC if that matters.

Edited by wwaha
Added details regarding console region and OSSC.

26 minutes ago, wwaha said:

My inquiry is somewhat related, I'm considering whether to get either the HD AV Pack or official component cables vs an RGB cable from RGC. I know they make high quality third-party cables for other consoles in the first place, so I'm curious how they stack up against the official component output. I have a PAL console too, and I'm going to be running whatever solution I go with through an OSSC if that matters.

PAL - RGB scart fking sucks on xbox, i have original advanced scart cable.

Because of encoding chip, RGB scart on xbox is horrible, on 1.6 xbox is improved, but still garbage. Plus, 50Hz limitation is cancer. I think it's a horrible practical joke.

GO FOR COMPONENT. 60Hz, 720p, 480p.

29 minutes ago, wwaha said:

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't aware RGB was so problematic on xbox, I will absolutely be on the lookout for component cables then.

you have to make it yourself or buy from US, monster's or microsoft's. Some dude was selling proper DIY component cables for 25 quid or something, made from original xbox 360 cable. I guess it's a good deal. Since it's not a beginners job.

Chinese component cables are crap, i had bought one and it had interference in picture. But i used its plug for DIY cable, worked damn well.

5 hours ago, prtscn said:

you have to make it yourself or buy from US, monster's or microsoft's. Some dude was selling proper DIY component cables for 25 quid or something, made from original xbox 360 cable. I guess it's a good deal. Since it's not a beginners job.

Chinese component cables are crap, i had bought one and it had interference in picture. But i used its plug for DIY cable, worked damn well.

What was the combination in this case? Did you youse the Chinese plug do connect it to an Xbox 360 component cable?

On 4/2/2020 at 1:40 AM, KaosEngineer said:

The Advanced AV pack is not the same thing as the High Definition AV pack.  There's not an Advanced High Definition AV Pack. 

The Advanced AV Pack is still composite video but also includes an S-video output. It does not provide high definition component video out.

So, which one did you find:

• High Definition AV Pack, or
  • Advanced AV Pack?

The HD av pack, sorry about the confusion, I thought the word advance was in the name

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 3:23 AM, prtscn said:

PAL - RGB scart fking sucks on xbox, i have original advanced scart cable.

Because of encoding chip, RGB scart on xbox is horrible, on 1.6 xbox is improved, but still garbage. Plus, 50Hz limitation is cancer. I think it's a horrible practical joke.

GO FOR COMPONENT. 60Hz, 720p, 480p.

What utter rubbish. RGB SCART runs in 60hz too, you just enable PAL60 in MSDash! Picture is good if you're going to CRT, looks as good as anything else. Obviously 480i doesn't look very good on LCD, so for that you are better with component so you can get 480p and 720p

On 4/3/2020 at 3:34 AM, wwaha said:

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't aware RGB was so problematic on xbox, I will absolutely be on the lookout for component cables then.

Component IS RGB. and RGB SCART is also RGB. If you're going to CRT then RGB SCART looks very good. You enable PAL60 in MSDash if you're using a PAL console. 

If you're using an LCD TV then you need component to get 480p and 720p as you can only get 480i through SCART which looks pretty bad / blurred on LCD ... but on CRT it looks good, so just depends on which screen you're using

On 3/22/2020 at 9:36 PM, v3ck1n said:

I have pretty much every official connection type somewhere in a box, I have to say the official component cable with fiber-optic audio is the best. I remember seeing a youtube tutorial on taking the xbox 360 component cable and soldering on an original xbox connector. link here
I plan on doing this in the future as I know i have an original xbox 360 component cable lying around somewhere that came with my 360. It would be like brand new as I only used HDMI to play

Hey tere!

I had an official Pound HDMI-adapter, but was never too satisfied with the image quality (it was kind of blurry/stripey, even with the auxilary-power connected to the adapter). I then soldered my own component cable out of an AV-plug from the old Xbox and the 360 component cable (like in the tutorial) and I have to say, the quality is awesome! Just take your time studying the guide and plan about 2 hours if you have never done anything like this before. But i guarantee, it will be worth the effort...

At the moment I'm waiting on my first HDMI+-Mod from MakeMHz to arrive, so I can further optimize the video-output of my beloved OG XBox...

Happy tinkering!

Greetings

Bot

One cable with the official Xbox compoent cable:

59c744a1068e9_OriginalXboxHighDefComponentCable(471x313).jpg.cdb57a04ab55ca1e16927c55565e4f4f.jpg

High-definition Video Adapter plus Component and possibly analog stereo audio cable or TOSLink optical audio to a supporting receiver to decode the 5.1 surround sound and drive your speakers:

59c743af2e153_XboxHighDefinitionAVpack.thumb.jpg.688fd3af8a166a09e8c0c392f9245a30.jpg

Many people selling them forget that the high-definition adapter came with a component video and audio cable (it got left connected to the old TV set they were using).  Thus, you may have to buy an additional 5-way RCA jack Component video (75 Ohm coax) with analog stereo audio cable and possibly a TOSLink cable for 5.1 surround sound support (optical cable not pictured).

Or, a 3-way Component Coaxial video cable and separate analog audio patch cable (not pictured).

spacer.png

Source: https://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/3201.jpg

Item URL: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=320&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8IaGBhCHARIsAGIRRYr8Z-3O2QjmbyQrwXHNTEo3AZuJIOxTR8ThLVb2SpJIIC00HLn6738aAqRMEALw_wcB