JohnnyPhantom

Xbox Hd Component Pack Vs. Official Xbox Component Cable, Any Differences Pros or Cons?

Hey Everyone,

I used to have the official xbox component cable, but like a fool didn't understand their value until now. I just recently got back into xbox, purchased a system I'm working on repairing and modding, and I was able to locate a advance high definition AV pack with the component connections. just curious, is the breakout box better than the cable? or about they the same?

Thanks!

~John

Edited by JohnnyPhantom

I have pretty much every official connection type somewhere in a box, I have to say the official component cable with fiber-optic audio is the best. I remember seeing a youtube tutorial on taking the xbox 360 component cable and soldering on an original xbox connector. link here

I plan on doing this in the future as I know i have an original xbox 360 component cable lying around somewhere that came with my 360. It would be like brand new as I only used HDMI to play

I want to try this method:

I hope that it won't be that much worse compared to an Original Microsoft AV Plug. It's just way easier like this for a newbie who's got no experience soldering

• Thanks 1

I ended up getting the official breakout box, i found one for a decent price, and cheaper than the official cable. One plus to it is I can use my own cables and I can change the length if need be, plus maybe easier to repair if it ever goes bad. Not as clean as a setup as the cable, but that's fine with me. I was temped to make my own component cable, or do a wii2hdmi mod

On 3/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, JohnnyPhantom said:

Hey Everyone,

I used to have the official xbox component cable, but like a fool didn't understand their value until now. I just recently got back into xbox, purchased a system I'm working on repairing and modding, and I was able to locate a advance high definition AV pack with the component connections. just curious, is the breakout box better than the cable? or about they the same?

Thanks!

~John

The Advanced AV pack is not the same thing as the High Definition AV pack.  There's not an Advanced High Definition AV Pack. 

The Advanced AV Pack is still composite video but also includes an S-video output. It does not provide high definition component video out.

So, which one did you find:

• High Definition AV Pack, or
  • Advanced AV Pack?

My inquiry is somewhat related, I'm considering whether to get either the HD AV Pack or official component cables vs an RGB cable from RGC. I know they make high quality third-party cables for other consoles in the first place, so I'm curious how they stack up against the official component output. I have a PAL console too, and I'm going to be running whatever solution I go with through an OSSC if that matters.

Edited by wwaha
Added details regarding console region and OSSC.

26 minutes ago, wwaha said:

My inquiry is somewhat related, I'm considering whether to get either the HD AV Pack or official component cables vs an RGB cable from RGC. I know they make high quality third-party cables for other consoles in the first place, so I'm curious how they stack up against the official component output. I have a PAL console too, and I'm going to be running whatever solution I go with through an OSSC if that matters.

PAL - RGB scart fking sucks on xbox, i have original advanced scart cable.

Because of encoding chip, RGB scart on xbox is horrible, on 1.6 xbox is improved, but still garbage. Plus, 50Hz limitation is cancer. I think it's a horrible practical joke.

GO FOR COMPONENT. 60Hz, 720p, 480p.

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't aware RGB was so problematic on xbox, I will absolutely be on the lookout for component cables then.

29 minutes ago, wwaha said:

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't aware RGB was so problematic on xbox, I will absolutely be on the lookout for component cables then.

you have to make it yourself or buy from US, monster's or microsoft's. Some dude was selling proper DIY component cables for 25 quid or something, made from original xbox 360 cable. I guess it's a good deal. Since it's not a beginners job.

Chinese component cables are crap, i had bought one and it had interference in picture. But i used its plug for DIY cable, worked damn well.

5 hours ago, prtscn said:

you have to make it yourself or buy from US, monster's or microsoft's. Some dude was selling proper DIY component cables for 25 quid or something, made from original xbox 360 cable. I guess it's a good deal. Since it's not a beginners job.

Chinese component cables are crap, i had bought one and it had interference in picture. But i used its plug for DIY cable, worked damn well.

What was the combination in this case? Did you youse the Chinese plug do connect it to an Xbox 360 component cable?

On 4/2/2020 at 1:40 AM, KaosEngineer said:

The Advanced AV pack is not the same thing as the High Definition AV pack.  There's not an Advanced High Definition AV Pack. 

The Advanced AV Pack is still composite video but also includes an S-video output. It does not provide high definition component video out.

So, which one did you find:

• High Definition AV Pack, or
  • Advanced AV Pack?

The HD av pack, sorry about the confusion, I thought the word advance was in the name