Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
coptimus

Soldering Magnifier

Recommended Posts

Hi all.  I've found that at age 40 my near vision started to really degrade.  I'm 50 now and wear contacts for reading, but still don't see the small points on a motherboard very well for soldering.  Do any of you use a magnifier of sorts when soldering?  What do you use?  I had bought some jewelers glasses, but the focal length was way off for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi coptimus

I know where your coming from my 55+ year old eyes are not what they used to be and with out my goggles I can't read a computer screen so I use something like this'
80% of the time it's just a desk lamp the other 20% for close up work (fitting 100pin ram chips).

 

696961179_desklamp-0-large.jpg.a313c14368eae6aab8c99ee4a14770bf.jpg

I took a small PCB to the shop and tried it 1st.

 

Cheers

SS Dave

 

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a "Brightech Lightview Pro Flex" it's a magnifying glass gooseneck lamp that uses LEDs for illumination, it can be found on Amazon for about $30, it works well and has some nice led lights in a ring on the underside of the magnifying glass, the only problems with it are I don't like the plastic clamp, the spring loaded plastic clamp does work well but only seems to open about two inches, the other problem is that the power connector is flimsy, its got a  barrel type power connector at it's base and that power connector has worked its way lose, but it still works.

I have had the folding style magnifying glass lamps with florescent tubes in them but I just don't like them, they seem to get in my way and break on me, but the desk clamp and power connector is most of the time better on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 2:04 AM, coptimus said:

Where did you go to test it and purchase?

I went to the local ripoff electronics shop up the road from me.

 

SS Dave

 

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.