OGXbox.com

arfows

15 hours ago, arfows said:

just the psu.  if globe means light bulb it seemed pretty bright.  thanks again for all the help with this

You are using a incandescent light ( the old lamp with a wire element) as a LED or compact fluorescent type  will not work correctly

The power supply on it's own in standby should not keep the lamp even faintly glowing unless you have forced the PSU on and put a load on the 12vlot and 5 volt outputs.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Nah, he was talking about a map. 😛 JK!

So full glow means what @SS_Dave?

There is at least a 100watt draw ( 1amp at 110 volt) 

A Xbox will draw more that that when working ( a 220 volt will draw around 225-275watt) so both 

This is my Dim Bulb Tester, It's 2 x 100 watt lamps that can be switched to 1 x 100 watt lamp.

PXL-20230812-060304515.jpg

This is a 1.2 with 128meg ram, 1tb SSD, Philips DVD drive

PXL-20230812-060131921.jpg     PXL-20230812-060245863.jpg

This is with the DVD drive connected to power      This is without the power on the DVD drive

On power on the brightness starts brighter and dulls after the dash has loaded.

You can see the difference the just the DVD drive makes.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, SS_Dave said:

There is at least a 100watt draw ( 1amp at 110 volt) 

A Xbox will draw more that that when working ( a 220 volt will draw around 225-275watt) so both 

This is my Dim Bulb Tester, It's 2 x 100 watt lamps that can be switched to 1 x 100 watt lamp.

PXL-20230812-060304515.jpg

This is a 1.2 with 128meg ram, 1tb SSD, Philips DVD drive

PXL-20230812-060131921.jpg     PXL-20230812-060245863.jpg

This is with the DVD drive connected to power      This is without the power on the DVD drive

On power on the brightness starts brighter and dulls after the dash has loaded.

You can see the difference the just the DVD drive makes.

Cheers

SS Dave

That's what i figured, is that it was gauging power draw. Too much voltage signifying non-working components in the circuit, and too little signifying that a component is drawing too much power, possibly from a short. VERY cool device. Home made?

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That's what i figured, is that it was gauging power draw. Too much voltage signifying non-working components in the circuit, and too little signifying that a component is drawing too much power, possibly from a short. VERY cool device. Home made?

Yes home made I made one about 20 years ago but it got lost in the several house moves The current one I made mostly from junk box part's about 5 years ago.

This one has the two 100watt globes as some items have a high inrush current and would not power up with a singe 100watt globe.

The idea is if the device under test has a short circuit the light will be full on and the voltage at the device is 0 volt so you don't release the magic smoke or have fire works. With DC you can use a current regulated power supply for the same thing.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 6 months later...

Revisiting this PSU.  The varistor has continuity between the leads so that means its fried right?  Anyone know the specs of the varistor?  Also missing the J18...if that is a critical component I'll need to find specs for that as well.  Is there a place where I can find that data?