OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.1 128MB RAM Upgrade

amxcs

With cerebios 2.3.1 can it boot? Because after I soldered the first chip - FRAG. The chip is soldered more than perfectly, there are no bridges between the legs, so the problem shouldn't be the soldering?

Only 14 and 15pin (VDD&VDDQ) short, I read somewhere that it's normal?

Edited by amxcs

I flashed the bios. First chip (bank 1) - successful.
The next one, which is bank 4 - failed. :(
Does the order of chip banks matter? Were they supposed to be in the order 1,2,3,4 bank?

Edited by amxcs

2 hours ago, amxcs said:

Does the order of chip banks matter? Were they supposed to be in the order 1,2,3,4 bank?

The preferred method is to flash the XBlast BIOS, then check every RAM individually as you install them one by one.

Order of installing the RAM into slots doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, amxcs said:

If you're referring to the RAM chips, you can do tehm in any order you like. As long as you have a new "success" after every chip install, that is all you have to worry about. Don't worry about the failures. Assuming you fill them all successfully, you will end up with NO failures and ALL successes. :)

5 hours ago, amxcs said:

After you get a failure, just go over your soldering again.  Remove any excess with wick and possibly reapply fresh solder with plenty of flux.  My first try I did without Xblast so it was all a guessing game as to which chip or chips weren't working.  When I was about to give up and remove them all I took solder wick and went around all the chips and decided one last time before removing them to power it up and it worked.  Could just be a short between two pins that you can't quite see.

Hmmm, the problem isn't my soldering. The solder joints are more than perfect. No bridges between the pins - checked both with a microscope and a multimeter.
2 out of 4 chips are not working. I tried the non-working ones on another motherboard and they don't work there. The other two were successful the first time.

I ordered more chips.

It would have been easier to get the chips from another motherboard instead of dealing with these Chinese fake chips.

Edited by amxcs

5 hours ago, amxcs said:

Hmmm, the problem isn't my soldering. The solder joints are more than perfect. No bridges between the pins - checked both with a microscope and a multimeter.
2 out of 4 chips are not working. I tried the non-working ones on another motherboard and they don't work there. The other two were successful the first time.

I ordered more chips.

It would have been easier to get the chips from another motherboard instead of dealing with these Chinese fake chips.

I use the chips from AliExpress and have had successful installs with all of them. Can you link to the ones that you bought? Have you checked for continuity from the pads to the legs in order to ensure that the pins are truly connected and not just for shorts? I have had mixed results sourcing from other motherboards and buying used chips. The ones I got from Ali thankfully have all worked flawlessly and I know that if I have a problem, it is something other than the chips, most likely. :)

Also, I'm old fashioned and use tweezers to put lateral pressure on the pins, one by one, to make sure that they are soldered. If I come across a leg that moves when torqued, that bastard gets resoldered. :)

• Like 1

It might be :) It just didn't seem normal to me that the letters 3 out of 4 chips were in a different font and very poor quality, only one of them was 1:1 like the one on the console. I ordered them from here.

I forgot to take pictures of the solder joints, and I can't take the console apart now just because of that. But here is a picture of another chip that I soldered today. My solder joints always look like this...

IMG_20240116_193526.thumb.jpg.d48b30fe95d499bb553170adfe403675.jpg

26 minutes ago, amxcs said:

It might be :) It just didn't seem normal to me that the letters 3 out of 4 chips were in a different font and very poor quality, only one of them was 1:1 like the one on the console. I ordered them from here.

I forgot to take pictures of the solder joints, and I can't take the console apart now just because of that. But here is a picture of another chip that I soldered today. My solder joints always look like this...

IMG_20240116_193526.thumb.jpg.d48b30fe95d499bb553170adfe403675.jpg

This is the link I sourced them from:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801935456368.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.32.f5961802ulYguz

Some of the lettering was different, but all the chips work. However they were all consistent in their general appearance, which was slightly different and newer looking than the originals. 

That soldering looks pretty clean to me. Of course, unless we can verify the actual job itself, our input is going to be speculation. :)

I've never had bad chips but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If your solder work looks like that on the chips in question than it's no doubt the chips. Also make sure they are orientated the correct way.

Good luck

Edited by lopenator

• 3 weeks later...

The new chips have arrived. I soldered two more and now everything is fine. Successful from the first time.
Apparently I'm the first one who was sent fake chips :D
Here is a picture of the faulty chips (left) and the new ones (right). The font is different and the letters are erased by acetone.

I want to ask with 128 MB of RAM, can there be incompatibility with any game?
I'm asking if I should replace my main console with it or just use it for special patched games.

IMG_20240216_113150.jpg

8 hours ago, amxcs said:

I want to ask with 128 MB of RAM, can there be incompatibility with any game?
I'm asking if I should replace my main console with it or just use it for special patched games.

I've not discovered any incompatibility with just having 128mb installed and not patching any games, it just won't affect them at all if they aren't patched. It will greatly help the dashboard load times though, especiallyif you have a lot of games.

Edited by Raidernick

Check all chips for loose pins or bridged points. It could be as simply as them not being seated properly. I’ve heard Xblast chips can test all at once and other options require doing each chip one at a time. There are a few other threads about the order in which they should be done in.