OGXbox.com

Can I have more than 2 game partitions on my 2TB HDD?

extra-ordinary_

10 minutes ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

I'm doing a first install of a 2TB HDD and trying to squeeze as many games on it as possible, and hoped that if I could create multiple 256GB (or smaller) partitions it would cut down on cluster size and I'd fit a lot more on it. Is this possible or is the only option a bigger drive?

I believe you can create as many partitions as you like, theoretically. Cluster size is a smart consideration. You just have to make sure your dash sees the executables, depending on what dash it is. I use XBMC4Xbox, and I just link all the executable folders manually, as sources. What dashboard do you plan to use?

46 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I believe you can create as many partitions as you like, theoretically. Cluster size is a smart consideration. You just have to make sure your dash sees the executables, depending on what dash it is. I use XBMC4Xbox, and I just link all the executable folders manually, as sources. What dashboard do you plan to use?

I've been using XBMC4gamers which I like. What do you mean by linking the executable folders manually?

8 minutes ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

I've been using XBMC4gamers which I like. What do you mean by linking the executable folders manually?

I honestly don't have much experience in Gamers, but basically giving the dashboard sources/folders to find executables in so that when you browse your applications, or games, they are listed there. Gamers may do this automatically... I honestly have no idea. Does anybody here know? @SS_Dave @KaosEngineer @Rocky5

1 hour ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

I'm doing a first install of a 2TB HDD and trying to squeeze as many games on it as possible, and hoped that if I could create multiple 256GB (or smaller) partitions it would cut down on cluster size and I'd fit a lot more on it. Is this possible or is the only option a bigger drive?

Convert the games to CCI (Cerbios Compressed Image) format and you can fit the whole US games list on a 2TB drive with room to spare.

On the 2tb drive I use I have around 900 Xbox games and emulators (Coin Opps Massive) with space left.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

14 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Convert the games to CCI (Cerbios Compressed Image) format and you can fit the whole US games list on a 2TB drive with room to spare.

On the 2tb drive I use I have around 900 Xbox games and emulators (Coin Opps Massive) with space left.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I hadn't done the calculations but had been assuming I'd fit everything on the drive in file format as it's mostly 2TB HDD you see mentioned everywhere you look. I've been using a 1.6 probably because it's the newest one but I have a 1.1 and a 1.4 that I could possibly TSOP for Cerbios. I'm between places right now so most of my stuff is in storage but I'm after getting some conductive paint so will see how doable that is with what I have available.

I hadn't done the calculations but had been assuming I'd fit everything on the drive in file format as it's mostly 2TB HDD you see mentioned everywhere you look. I've been using a 1.6 probably because it's the newest one but I have a 1.1 and a 1.4 that I could possibly TSOP for Cerbios. I'm between places right now so most of my stuff is in storage but I'm after getting some conductive paint so will see how doable that is with what I have available.

While I would recommend a TSOP flash for your 1.1 and 1.4 it is not needed for either of those or your v1.6 to run Cerbios.  You can launch Cerbios as a BFM BIOS on any softmodded Xbox.  From the Cerbios v2.3.1 readme:

"To Launch Cerbios As A BFM Bios, Simply Copy The Pheonix Bios Loader Folder To Your HDD ALong With A Copy Of Cerbios Bios File Renamed As Cerbios.bin, Copy BootAnims Folder & Cerbios.ini to Root Of C     Launch Default.XBE & Let The Magic Happen. Console Should Reboot Into Cerbios  

Edited by RMM

4 hours ago, RMM said:

While I would recommend a TSOP flash for your 1.1 and 1.4 it is not needed for either of those or your v1.6 to run Cerbios.  You can launch Cerbios as a BFM BIOS on any softmodded Xbox.  From the Cerbios v2.3.1 readme:

"To Launch Cerbios As A BFM Bios, Simply Copy The Pheonix Bios Loader Folder To Your HDD ALong With A Copy Of Cerbios Bios File Renamed As Cerbios.bin, Copy BootAnims Folder & Cerbios.ini to Root Of C     Launch Default.XBE & Let The Magic Happen. Console Should Reboot Into Cerbios  

Thanks I thought that originally for the 1.6 but then thought , I'd gotten it wrong in that when softmod was mentioned for Cerbios it was in the context of a softmodded TSOP versus a non-softmodded chipped - I couldn't find anywhere I looked where anyone was loading Cerbios onto a non-chipped 1.6. Will try what you say although saying that,  I've just managed to TSOP my 1.1. Why do you recommend a  TSOP flash for the non-1.6 versions?

Thanks I thought that originally for the 1.6 but then thought , I'd gotten it wrong in that when softmod was mentioned for Cerbios it was in the context of a softmodded TSOP versus a non-softmodded chipped - I couldn't find anywhere I looked where anyone was loading Cerbios onto a non-chipped 1.6. Will try what you say although saying that,  I've just managed to TSOP my 1.1. Why do you recommend a  TSOP flash for the non-1.6 versions?

Because it's cheaper than buying a chip. :) Although updating bioses and having multiple banks is made possible and more convenient with a modchip.

6 hours ago, RMM said:

Yuck. Just say no to softmodding!

I've been using chipped machines and softmods since 2005, never had a problem caused by the softmod. Most softmod problems are caused by user mistakes and third party, usually kids, fiddling.

I use a Xecuter 2.6CE chipped Xbox as my primary games playing machine and a softmod, probably my most used Xbox, as a kitchen media player, mostly for music. I have two other Xboxes set up for Aladdin chip use but with only one currently installed the other is HDD locked so I can use it softmodded without the chip needing to be fitted. I also have a TSOP.

In short my experience is that they're all equally good and reliable, depending on your needs and situation.

12 hours ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

A TSOP flash is a hard mod and is much preferred over a soft mod.  With a hard mod either by TSOP flash or modchip you never need to worry about locking a hard drive.  This makes it easier to install new hard drives, pull the old one out and write files to it, etc..  It is just a lot easier to deal with when you dont need to worry about locking and unlocking.  

With a hard mod you also have the ability to ignore the DVD drive check.  As these Xboxes are starting to get older the DVD drives are having issues.  One problem that can happen is the DVD is not recognized by the Xbox and the Xbox will throw up an error 12.  When this occurs, the Xbox is stuck because it wont load your dashboard because it doesnt detect the DVD drive.  Even if you have a softmodded Xbox you will be stuck because the Xbox doesnt make it far enough in the boot process to load the softmod off the hard drive.   With a hard mod you can disable the DVD drive check so even if your DVD is causing issues the Xbox will still boot the dashboard.

A TSOP flash is more of a permanent solution.  Sometimes people mess with files on their hard drive and screw up their softmod.  With a TSOP flash your Xbox is still going to be modded even if you wiped your entire hard drive.

1 hour ago, RMM said:

A TSOP flash is a hard mod and is much preferred over a soft mod.  With a hard mod either by TSOP flash or modchip you never need to worry about locking a hard drive.  This makes it easier to install new hard drives, pull the old one out and write files to it, etc..  It is just a lot easier to deal with when you dont need to worry about locking and unlocking.  

With a hard mod you also have the ability to ignore the DVD drive check.  As these Xboxes are starting to get older the DVD drives are having issues.  One problem that can happen is the DVD is not recognized by the Xbox and the Xbox will throw up an error 12.  When this occurs, the Xbox is stuck because it wont load your dashboard because it doesnt detect the DVD drive.  Even if you have a softmodded Xbox you will be stuck because the Xbox doesnt make it far enough in the boot process to load the softmod off the hard drive.   With a hard mod you can disable the DVD drive check so even if your DVD is causing issues the Xbox will still boot the dashboard.

A TSOP flash is more of a permanent solution.  Sometimes people mess with files on their hard drive and screw up their softmod.  With a TSOP flash your Xbox is still going to be modded even if you wiped your entire hard drive.

A friend tried to softmod and bricked his console doing it. He had no recourse because he wasn't hardmodded. Had to sell him a console... 

As long as the DVD drive isn't crippling the IDE bus of course, then yes it can help to skip the check.

On 11/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, RMM said:

Thanks yeh...locking and unlocking the HDD on the 1.6 was a bit of a pain alright especially when I had it in and out of the box so much during setup. Are DVD drives failing as you describe even with non-use or is there a fix that can be done on them when they're no longer being recognised? I like the idea of keeping the DVD drive so the system is still as stock but on the other hand I was wondering has anyone removed it completely and maybe moved the HDD so that a better HSF could be put on the CPU with quieter fans all round. Is there any noise reduction measure that doesn't result in an increase in temps?

Edited by extra-ordinary_

3 hours ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

Thanks yeh...locking and unlocking the HDD on the 1.6 was a bit of a pain alright especially when I had it in and out of the box so much during setup. Are DVD drives failing as you describe even with non-use or is there a fix that can be done on them when they're no longer being recognised? I like the idea of keeping the DVD drive so the system is still as stock but on the other hand I was wondering has anyone removed it completely and maybe moved the HDD so that a better HSF could be put on the CPU with quieter fans all round. Is there any noise reduction measure that doesn't result in an increase in temps?

You dont need to remove the DVD drive.  The DVD drive check just disables the check for it on boot.   As these Xboxes are starting to get older, the DVD drives are starting to break down and not work.  In some cases the Xbox wont even recognize the DVD drive is plugged in so on boot the Xbox will give an error 12.   DVD drives can be fixed.  Often the issue is the DVD drive needs a capacitor or resistor replaced on the PCB board.  Broken lasers will cause an Xbox to not be able to read games but it should not cause the DVD to not be recognized by the Xbox.  That usually points to a PCB issue.  If a DVD has PCB issues I dont think I would want to keep it connected to the IDE however as that may cause other issues.

Yes people have removed their DVD drives and moved their hard drives in order to better cool the Xbox.  Here is a project NeMesiS has been working on.

Edited by RMM

6 hours ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

There are all sorts of failures with the optical drives. from SMD components going bad to the lasers going bad to the tray getting stuck... which is thankfully easily fixable with a new belt.

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

There are all sorts of failures with the optical drives. from SMD components going bad to the lasers going bad to the tray getting stuck... which is thankfully easily fixable with a new belt.

Yes, every one of the systems I've gotten had unopening DVD trays - unless there was a disc already in it(?). As it is, I just dropped the belts in some boiling water and got them working again at least for the short term.

3 hours ago, extra-ordinary_ said:

Yes, every one of the systems I've gotten had unopening DVD trays - unless there was a disc already in it(?). As it is, I just dropped the belts in some boiling water and got them working again at least for the short term.

I think there is a cheaper way to get replacements. Like plain rubber bands, just at a certain diameter. It would make it more cost effective to just get a hundred for a couple bucks... Anybody have tips on that?