OGXbox.com

Can large cluster size affect HDD speed on the XBox?

My Xbox is running a 160 GB IDE from 2007 or something.

I needed to ask this about 3 years ago, I used Crunchbite's (on Homebrew Discord) 8 GB Etcher image to prepare the new drive then iirc I used the XBox Formatter to make the partitions (which automatically set the cluster size to 16 KB) then I copied all the C:\ drive content from the original 8 GB HDD via FatXPlorer and also transferred some games and homebrew.

And at that time when I was using the stock HDD my Xbox was giving me constant 10-11 mb/s on my diy crossover cable connection to my laptop.

After I put that new HDD in I didn't notice that right away but the max transfer speeds I get are around 3-7 mb/s on the same crossover ethernet cable.

Is it related to the cluster size or is the HDD just bad or on it last legs?

Edited by PRince404

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Try just a regular ethernet cable as opposed to the crossover. 

But why would that be the issue since it worked fine when I was using the stock HDD?

Also how do you use a normal cable to FTP stuff? The guide I used only showed two methods which one was connecting your Xbox to a Wifi/LAN Router and transferring files via the router and using a Crossover cable to directly connect the XBox to a PC. Which is what I've been doing. 🤔 

Edited by PRince404

7 hours ago, PRince404 said:

My Xbox is running a 160 GB IDE from 2007 or something.

I needed to ask this about 3 years ago, I used Crunchbite's (on Homebrew Discord) 8 GB Etcher image to prepare the new drive then iirc I used the XBox Formatter to make the partitions (which automatically set the cluster size to 16 KB) then I copied all the C:\ drive content from the original 8 GB HDD via FatXPlorer and also transferred some games and homebrew.

And at that time when I was using the stock HDD my Xbox was giving me constant 10-11 mb/s on my diy crossover cable connection to my laptop.

After I put that new HDD in I didn't notice that right away but the max transfer speeds I get are around 3-7 mb/s on the same crossover ethernet cable.

Is it related to the cluster size or is the HDD just bad or on it last legs?

I’ve had it dip like that when ftping lots of files (like a game rip) but give a solid 10-11mbs on large files like xisos. Could it just be something like that or are you noticing that drop in tx speed for everything?

6 hours ago, PRince404 said:

But why would that be the issue since it worked fine when I was using the stock HDD?

Also how do you use a normal cable to FTP stuff? The guide I used only showed two methods which one was connecting your Xbox to a Wifi/LAN Router and transferring files via the router and using a Crossover cable to directly connect the XBox to a PC. Which is what I've been doing. 🤔 

Same exact method, different cable. If you have one, give it a try just to see. 

9 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I’ve had it dip like that when ftping lots of files (like a game rip) but give a solid 10-11mbs on large files like xisos. Could it just be something like that or are you noticing that drop in tx speed for everything?

It's every file, doesn't matter how big it is.