OGXbox.com

Lower your temps by ~12C on 1.0 & 1.6

eeksdee

10 minutes ago, PRince404 said:

Wait, is it possible for this mod to kill your CPU? 

No, I can't think of a way that would happen. I'm just suggesting that because parts consoles (like a broken DVD drive) are inexpensive and it would give that guy an inexpensive way to try the mod out and make sure it's safe. I would say it's safer because it lowers your temps, as long as you don't fuxor your motherboard while removing the resistors.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did this on a 1.0 tonight and played Halo 2 for a bit. I didn't notice any issues and XBMC4Gamers reported a temperature drop from 145f to 120f (both measured on reboot after playing for a bit). That's 63c down to 49c.

I still want to play with it extensively to make sure it's actually stable, but if it's not, I can always put the resistor back.

• Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to ping you again @copperminebut are you modded XBoxes still working fine with this mod? Because I need to do this mod on my 1.6 as summers here are getting hotter each day.

Last day I was playing black and my Xbox froze, rebooted it and I saw that the CPU temp was at 75°. So I think it got overheated, also the fact that I have it stuffed into a corner doesn't help I guess. 

So could someone please tell me which resistors I need to remove to undervolt the CPU on a 1.6 revision? The images attached by OP are a bit confusing for me. 

Thanks. 

Edit: Also what app is OP using to benchmark the CPU, I'd like to try that before and after too. 

Edited by PRince404
Benchmark

8 hours ago, PRince404 said:

Sorry to ping you again @copperminebut are you modded XBoxes still working fine with this mod? Because I need to do this mod on my 1.6 as summers here are getting hotter each day.

Last day I was playing black and my Xbox froze, rebooted it and I saw that the CPU temp was at 75°. So I think it got overheated, also the fact that I have it stuffed into a corner doesn't help I guess. 

So could someone please tell me which resistors I need to remove to undervolt the CPU on a 1.6 revision? The images attached by OP are a bit confusing for me. 

Thanks. 

Edit: Also what app is OP using to benchmark the CPU, I'd like to try that before and after too. 

Hey, I haven't done this on a 1.6, but the 1.0 box I've been using primarily hasn't had any lockups, shutdowns, etc. Everything is still working fine.

Probably going to try it on a 1.1 as well, I assume the board layout is similar enough.

Edited by coppermine
  • Thanks 1

Just came across this thread and it looks  like something I need to do for at least one of my boxes.

That said back in the day, I used to mess with underclocking cpus.  Most of it was on boards where you could change the voltages and multipliers.  Primarily as away of making them cooler, and because overclocking was getting expensive to go further than I was already, all the basics and massive coolers, peltier coolers and liquid cooling, done.   Next steps flurinert  or liquid gasses.  

underclocking was fun and you could actually use the Pc for daily use, not just for bench marking.

Still got the kit maybe I will get it out of storage…..

17 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

I didn't read the entire thread. Has anyone suggested replacing the 0 ohm resistors with dip switches? 

You could if you wanted, but I don't really see the point unless you're trying to find the highest OC you can get or something. I really wish someone more knowledgeable would help with the feedback resistor, want to see how low these CPUs can run at stock clocks.

On 5/6/2024 at 4:16 AM, PRince404 said:

https://github.com/GXTX/xbox-bmarks

Uses nxdk, didn't really write up how to compile or anything but if you join xbox-dev discord a compile version should be available somewhere in #sw-development

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:12 AM, eeksdee said:

Been a bit bored as of late and wanted to see how low temps I could get. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom gave the CPU farrrr too much voltage: 1.7V! Nuts!

Well the CPU itself runs perfectly fine at 1.3V (lowest the voltage reg will go without messing with the feedback loop).

1.0: Remove the 0ohm resistor on R2E4

1.6: Remove the 2 0ohm resistors on R2E7 & R2E3

The only drawback of doing this, is you'll no longer be able to push the CPU frequency over ~950MHz.

The temperature screenshot is from my 1.6, I'm aware that the 1.6 does not have entirely accurate monitoring, but you can see a clear difference. Both were taken at a ~73F ambient with fan running at 20%.

Enjoy.

1.0-ic.jpg

1.6-ic.png

temps.png

Hey so I’m a novice for sure. Could you explain the draw back of no longer being able to go over 950 MHz for me. Trying to decide what mods I’d like to do to mine. Thanks.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:10 PM, coppermine said:

Just wanted to update this and say I played all the way through Fable TLC without a single crash, freeze, etc. It's possible this mod doesn't work for every board but I've done it on a few now and they are all still working.

15 hours ago, PRince404 said:

Played Black for 2 hours, Burnout Revenge for 3. Seems to run fine. 👍 

Thanks lads. I was waiting for guinea pigs user reports before doing the OP's mod to my own consoles.

gorilla-yesd.gif

Edited by fox
  • Haha 1

Nobody mentioned that the thing is right below the edge of the CPU heatsink enclosure. Working an iron around in there without accident sure took a minute.

IMG-9538.jpg

Results. Played Metal Wolf Chaos for a while with 20% fan and at room temperature. Cpu used to reach like 53C. Right after IGR'ing...

IMG-9541.jpg

Whoa. Then watched The Super with 10% fan. Cpu used to hit 49C now it peaks at 38C (shows 39C only because of running the menu during video playback). The xbox ran about three hours with no freezes, lags, etc..

IMG-9539.jpg

For context I'm running a slimbox with a puny 60mm case fan which sees CPU temps of up to 64C on hot days unless the fan speed is so high it's noisy. Noisy fans and 64C suck. Maybe after all these years I can stop worrying about the ol' box croaking from heat stroke, lol.

That was a genius discovery you made, OP.

GENIUS I SAY!

Running this in a slim was one of the first things I thought of.  It’s got me thinking how low can it go, if for instance you only want to run emulation for old arcade cabs that only ran games with a few hundred k of ram, the cpu requirement is a couple of hundred mega or less. Thinking fanless box and silent running.

Now that fox has done this mod, I wanted to point out two things I encountered after doing this mod. 

1. IGR seems to get bugged. Before this mod If I pressed the IGR Combo then the Xbox would immediately reboot to the Xbox screen and into dash. Now if I do the same then it just stays at a blank screen with no signal like the Xbox is powered off but it's not, it still is powered on so I have to power cycle it manually through the power button to get back into it. The slight workaround that I found for this was holding the IGR combination keys for a second longer than before it works 6/10 times. Mostly fails in Homebrew (tried on QuakeX by lantus, CelesteX, HydraX, Odamex and SoRRx) but works in Xbox games better but not perfect. I have those bottom of the barrel Aladdin X2 chips running EvoX M8+ with IGR set to Compatible. 

2. I'm not sure if this is a causation of the this mod, but Call of Duty 2 is freezing about 30-45 minutes into any level of the Single player campaign. Restarting the console and the game it sometimes goes past the point the game last froze but then also freezes on the next level. I'm hoping this is more a "Bad copy of the game" issue. It is a HDD ready rip not a DVD. 

• Sad 1