OGXbox.com

First successful TSOP flash!

Bowlsnapper

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Second TSOP flash for a 1.0 console. This is the console I intend to use for the Nemesis kit.

Then I can use the optical drive for TSOP and dashboard installs when setting up my HDD image for sales if the DVD drive in the said box is not working.

I haven't used a DVD drive to create a HDD/SSD for a Xbox in nearly 2 years as Fatxplorer V3.0 beta can format and partition any size HDD/SSD and then you can quickly copy the required files to the relative dives ( Boot files to C, Dash to E, Games to F and G ) quicker that stuffing around with a DVD to format the and then app to partition the drive correctly then installing a dashboard from a flaky DVD drive.

Also Fatxplorer V3.0 can format a HDD above 2tb correctly as apposed to using a DVD based disk that give you 2.2tb from a 3tb drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

I haven't used a DVD drive to create a HDD/SSD for a Xbox in nearly 2 years as Fatxplorer V3.0 beta can format and partition any size HDD/SSD and then you can quickly copy the required files to the relative dives ( Boot files to C, Dash to E, Games to F and G ) quicker that stuffing around with a DVD to format the and then app to partition the drive correctly then installing a dashboard from a flaky DVD drive.

Also Fatxplorer V3.0 can format a HDD above 2tb correctly as apposed to using a DVD based disk that give you 2.2tb from a 3tb drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I'm going to buy a cloner and start using my main X3 HDD contents to create my master drive that I will then make clones with. I'll toy with it on my PC of course and fine tune the image, MINUS the game saves. It has the origins setup, plus some extra goodies, homebrew, like Duke Nukem and Descent, and then some good music, like Blink-182, Fleetwood Mac, Vertical Horizon, Angels and Airwaves, Boston, Boxcar Racer, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Joe Satriani, Sum 41, and Steve Vai... and the two newest Avril Lavine albums because Travis is drumming for her and influencing the music and it actually fuckin' rocks.

I like installer discs. They're actually handy pretty often! :) Although, per your advice, I WILL start using FATXplorer to format the drives since I know it will be done properly.

Great to hear!  I've often wanted to TSOP but never took the time cuz, well, I've got the softmod thing down in my sleep and figured if i tried something new I'd probably brick it...but every time I see SS Dave's signature line taunting softmodding I tell myself I should just try it.  I've watched some of the tutorials.  Any lessons learned or fav tutorials?

I am in the process of creating a master drive to clone as well for my fleet of xboxes but am super OCD on making sure the amount of game art matches the amount of games exactly (aka don't want 561 front box art .jpgs if there are only 549 ROMs etc) so its taking me forever.  Using XBMC emustation but looking for a decent skin that clearly shows pics of the various consoles as you scroll through them.  Origins is well done, personally I'm just not a fan of looking like a 360.

1 hour ago, arfows said:

Great to hear!  I've often wanted to TSOP but never took the time cuz, well, I've got the softmod thing down in my sleep and figured if i tried something new I'd probably brick it...but every time I see SS Dave's signature line taunting softmodding I tell myself I should just try it.  I've watched some of the tutorials.  Any lessons learned or fav tutorials?

I am in the process of creating a master drive to clone as well for my fleet of xboxes but am super OCD on making sure the amount of game art matches the amount of games exactly (aka don't want 561 front box art .jpgs if there are only 549 ROMs etc) so its taking me forever.  Using XBMC emustation but looking for a decent skin that clearly shows pics of the various consoles as you scroll through them.  Origins is well done, personally I'm just not a fan of looking like a 360.

Lol I wouldn't stress that much. I personally skip the origins dash when using the image since C has no MS dash anyway and I can't edit the EEPROM. 

Just use sweetdarkdestiny's TSOP tool and use the two folders that you have to, one being the game and one being the TSOP tool, which is basically just the softmod exploit with different scripting.

14 hours ago, fox said:

I did a tsop like 10 years when my xecuter was behaving like it was going to croak, which it did eventually

what's this about not needing an installer disc to do a new hard drive? sounds handy

Sounds like fatxplorer 3.0 to me. Has a Cerbios formatting option I believe. Requires you to have a SATA port on your PC though.

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes. Any type of SATA port the software can make use of :)

The software doesn't need a SATA port on the PC at all.  You could set up the hard drive using an old IDE computer because you would be using the USB port not a SATA or PATA.  The fastest and best solution would be a SATA connection as it is much faster but USB can work albeit at a slower rate. 

Something I didnt mention in my earlier post that may useful for others that may read this thread that do not already know,  not all USB adapters/docking stations ect...  are compatible with FATXplorer.  If trying to use an IDE drive, the best solution would be to find a USB 2.0 adapter with the JM20337 chip like the Startech USB2SATAIDE or Warmster adapter use.  If setting up a SATA drive, the recommended device is the Sabrent DS-UTC1 docking station that uses the ASM235CM chip.  Hope this helps anyone that may look to try setting up a hard drive with FATXplorer

Edited by RMM

5 minutes ago, RMM said:

The software doesn't need a SATA port on the PC at all.  You could set up the hard drive using an old IDE computer.  The fastest and best solution would be a SATA connection as it is much faster but USB can work albeit at a slower rate. 

Something I didnt mention in my earlier post that may useful for others that may read this thread that do not already know,  not all USB adapters/docking stations ect...  are compatible with FATXplorer.  If trying to use an IDE drive, the best solution would be to find a USB 2.0 adapter with the JM20337 chip like the Startech USB2SATAIDE or Warmster adapter use.  If setting up a SATA drive, the recommended device is the Sabrent DS-UTC1 docking station that uses the ASM235CM chip.  Hope this helps anyone that may look to try setting up a hard drive with FATXplorer

Yes. USB is what a lot of people use. I plan to get a docking station myself with two slots so I can just do clones. @SS_Dave uses a badass cloner that does RAW data so it works as a standalone unit.

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes. USB is what a lot of people use. I plan to get a docking station myself with two slots so I can just do clones.

When I first joined this forum I had a ton of trouble trying to get a USB adapter to work and spent hours on it.  Turns out it the adapter was just not compatible with XboxHDM 2.3 USB nor FATXplorer. 

25 minutes ago, RMM said:

When I first joined this forum I had a ton of trouble trying to get a USB adapter to work and spent hours on it.  Turns out it the adapter was just not compatible with XboxHDM 2.3 USB nor FATXplorer. 

I thought it would just be a Generic Host Adapter... why was it not compatible?

11 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I thought it would just be a Generic Host Adapter... why was it not compatible?

Im not 100% sure on all the various reasons but I know some of these bridge chips used in these adapters/docking stations dont support ATA pass-through commands and USB 3.0 adapters dont seem to work at all for locked IDE drives.  Although most people are using SATA there are times where you might need to read/write/erase an old IDE drive.  People still use the hotswap method to softmod their stock Xbox.  USB IDE adapters with the JM20337 chip are known to work with IDE drives which is why the Startech USB2SATAIDE and Warmstor are good choices

USB 3.x for SATA drives tend to work better but even then you can have issues with those not working.  I bought a cheap off brand adapter I tried to use for a SATA drive and it wouldnt work.  I ended up spending more money to get the Sabrent DS-UTC1 and it works fine.  I think the biggest part of what determines if a adapter or docking station will work is what kind of bridge chip is used in the adapter/docking station.

1 hour ago, RMM said:

Im not 100% sure on all the various reasons but I know some of these bridge chips used in these adapters/docking stations dont support ATA pass-through commands and USB 3.0 adapters dont seem to work at all for locked IDE drives.  Although most people are using SATA there are times where you might need to read/write/erase an old IDE drive.  People still use the hotswap method to softmod their stock Xbox.  USB IDE adapters with the JM20337 chip are known to work with IDE drives which is why the Startech USB2SATAIDE and Warmstor are good choices

USB 3.x for SATA drives tend to work better but even then you can have issues with those not working.  I bought a cheap off brand adapter I tried to use for a SATA drive and it wouldnt work.  I ended up spending more money to get the Sabrent DS-UTC1 and it works fine.  I think the biggest part of what determines if a adapter or docking station will work is what kind of bridge chip is used in the adapter/docking station.

Well if I'm working with a SATA drive and cloning it, there would definitely be no reason to lock the drive! :) although if you are accessing IDE, it would be a pain to deal with all that. Yet another thing to ask about around here so you know which models work and which do not. Sigh...

Thank you for the info and recommendation. It'll help :)