OGXbox.com

XIso - Playing Games From Xbox Hdd Using Iso Images.

RoofTop

I have ISO loading working great with M8Plus BIOS and a chained kernel patcher that I setup years ago. 

I have a question about trainers: I'm using the script in XBMC4Gamers to create the default.xbe to mount the ISO, and it seems to be working great. In XBMC, I can find and turn on trainers, but they don't seem to do anything. Does anyone have any insights on why trainers wouldn't work or what I should try? 

On 2/4/2021 at 11:26 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Use any file splitting application; however, you need to make sure to split the file at a DVD sector boundary.  Sectors are 2048 bytes each on a DVD.  Each file after the split should be an exact multiple of 2048 bytes.

Thanx.

Was successfully using split command in Linux:

split --additional-suffix='.iso' -db $(( $(stat -c%s Nintendo.iso) / 2 )) Nintendo.iso 'Nintendo-'

The xiso was created by extract-xiso. Perhaps it's create an xiso in multiple 2048 bytes and simple file split in half works just fine.

Edited by si_kabayan

17 hours ago, mvax said:

I have ISO loading working great with M8Plus BIOS and a chained kernel patcher that I setup years ago. 

I have a question about trainers: I'm using the script in XBMC4Gamers to create the default.xbe to mount the ISO, and it seems to be working great. In XBMC, I can find and turn on trainers, but they don't seem to do anything. Does anyone have any insights on why trainers wouldn't work or what I should try? 

I have it working -> XBMC was caching incorrect header information from incorrect attach.xbe/default.xbe files.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 3:36 AM, Rocky5 said:

if you use XBMC4Gamers you can use the XISO to HDD script to parse and process your XISO files into folders and it will also populate the attach.xbe with the correct certificate information of the game so trainers and save managers work properly.

I added a bunch of ISOs to my Games folder and tried to convert them with the script. Unfortunately, it fails on the first split game and all subsequent ISOs are not processed. What happens is that part 1 gets correctly processed, while the script fails on part 2. If I manually copy part 2 in its directory, then I can re-run the script and it works until it finds another part 2.
I named my ISOs like this: "Game Name (Region).pX.iso", where X is part number.

13 hours ago, Rapper_skull said:

I named my ISOs like this: "Game Name (Region).pX.iso", where X is part number.

How large are the part files?

You shouldn't need to use multiple parts for very many Xbox games.  

The maximum size of each dot iso file (part) can be 4GBs - due to FATX's file size limitation.

Do you have lots of games larger than that size? 

I thought therre were only a handful of games that had to have more than one part.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

How large are the part files?

You shouldn't need to use multiple parts for very many Xbox games.  

The maximum size of each dot iso file (part) can be 4GBs - due to FATX's file size limitation.

Do you have lots of games larger than that size? 

I thought therre were only a handful of games that had to have more than one part.

I made the parts 4 GB - 64 kB to minimize fragmentation. For now I have 8 games divided into two parts. Probably that's because PAL games are bigger than their NTSC equivalent.

Anyway I discovered what the problem could be by browsing the source code of the script. It expects the files to be named game.X.iso or game_X.iso. Haven't tested it yet, but that should be it.

The real problem, however, is the lack of documentation, as with a lot of things in the Xbox community.

Edited by Rapper_skull
  • Like 1

Nothing. Even after renaming the ISOs, the problem keeps happening.

EDIT: It doesn't always fail. For example "Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory.X.iso" works, while "Max Payne 2 (Europe) (En Es It).X.iso" doesn't. There's something wrong with the name parsing.

Edited by Rapper_skull

On 3/13/2021 at 6:08 AM, Rapper_skull said:

Nothing. Even after renaming the ISOs, the problem keeps happening.

I added a folder installer for this script that doesn't move files. You could use it and ignore any errors, it still creates the default.xbe for attaching the ISO.

1) Remove folder "XISO to HDD Installer" from "\XBMC4Gamers\system\scripts\XBMC4Gamers Extras\"

2) Copy "Batch XISO to HDD Installer" and "Folder XISO to HDD Installer" to the same location (see attachment).

3) Copy "Custom_Skin_Setting.xml" to folder "\XBMC4Gamers\skins\Profile Skin\xml\"

You can find the scripts in the same place as before (I moved them to the top). The Batch installer should work the same as before, the Folder installer won't move the ISO from the folder you put it in or create any folders.

XBMC4Gamers_modified_scripts.zip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mvax said:

I added a folder installer for this script that doesn't move files. You could use it and ignore any errors, it still creates the default.xbe for attaching the ISO.

1) Remove folder "XISO to HDD Installer" from "\XBMC4Gamers\system\scripts\XBMC4Gamers Extras\"

2) Copy "Batch XISO to HDD Installer" and "Folder XISO to HDD Installer" to the same location (see attachment).

3) Copy "Custom_Skin_Setting.xml" to folder "\XBMC4Gamers\skins\Profile Skin\xml\"

You can find the scripts in the same place as before (I moved them to the top). The Batch installer should work the same as before, the Folder installer won't move the ISO from the folder you put it in or create any folders.

XBMC4Gamers_modified_scripts.zip 39.26 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you for your help, but I already organized everything by hand. I posted just to let @Rocky5know about this bug, so that he can fix it. Thank you anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 5:48 PM, Rapper_skull said:

Thank you for your help, but I already organized everything by hand. I posted just to let @Rocky5know about this bug, so that he can fix it. Thank you anyway.

I think i and another Discord user and ogXbox member, @Infinite Clouds, figured out what the problem is when trying to process a lot of XISO files at one time:

XBMC4Gamers simply runs out of RAM to process all of the files. 

Do them one at a time and it works.

Check the xbmc.log file for an error like the following one:

13:03:32 M: 13307904  SEVERE: DLL: Q:\system\python\python27.dll : malloc failed, crash imminent (Out of memory requesting 20590225 bytes)

M: 13307904 is the amount of free RAM at the time the malloc (memory allocation call was made to process the file - which requested 20,590,225 bytees but only 13,307,904 were available and the script crashes

with a message such as

300316367_XISOtoHDDscripterror.jpg.6c32317a1a797e387c27db35bd321493.jpg

(Image by @Infinite Clouds here and on Discord)

Process one game's XISO file(s) at a time and the problem goes away.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I think i and another Discord user and ogXbox member, @Infinite Clouds, figured out what the problem is when trying to process a lot of XISO files at one time:

XBMC4Gamers simply runs out of RAM to process all of the files. 

Do them one at a time and it works.

Check the xbmc.log file for an error like the following one:

13:03:32 M: 13307904  SEVERE: DLL: Q:\system\python\python27.dll : malloc failed, crash imminent (Out of memory requesting 20590225 bytes)

M: 13307904 is the amount of free RAM at the time the malloc (memory allocation call was made to process the file - which requested 20,590,225 bytees but only 13,307,904 were available and the script crashes

with a message such as

300316367_XISOtoHDDscripterror.jpg.6c32317a1a797e387c27db35bd321493.jpg

(Image by @Infinite Clouds here and on Discord)

Process one game's XISO file(s) at a time and the problem goes away.

I think we discovered two different bugs. In my case it fails even if I only have two files (the two parts of a games larger than 4 GB). I'll make some more tests, but I think the problem is that it tries to parse part 2 as a new game, and it fails when trying to find the header. And this happens because the script fails to recognize part 2 when processing part 1, probably because of the filename format I used.

I was not aware of the xbmc.log file. I'll take a look and tell you more.

4 hours ago, Rapper_skull said:

I think we discovered two different bugs. In my case it fails even if I only have two files (the two parts of a games larger than 4 GB). I'll make some more tests, but I think the problem is that it tries to parse part 2 as a new game, and it fails when trying to find the header. And this happens because the script fails to recognize part 2 when processing part 1, probably because of the filename format I used.

I was not aware of the xbmc.log file. I'll take a look and tell you more.

The format of the file names has to be one of these:

• <filename>.N.iso
  • <filename>_N.iso

where N = 1 or 2.

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The format of the file names has to be one of these:

• <filename>.N.iso
  • <filename>_N.iso

where N = 1 or 2.

As I said, I'm already naming my files like that. Unfortunately, the problem is with <filename> itself. As an example, I tried with Max Payne 2. If I name my files "Max Payne 2.N.iso", everything works. But if they are named "Max Payne 2 (Europe) (En Es It).N.iso", it breaks with the following error in the log file:

19:52:04 M: 28450816  NOTICE: -->Python Initialized<--
19:52:04 M: 27860992  NOTICE: | Scripts\XBMC4Gamers Extras\XISO to HDD Installer\default.py loaded.
19:52:04 M: 27860992  NOTICE:   Local Source Drive F:
19:52:04 M: 27860992  NOTICE:   Local Source Drive G:
19:52:11 M: 19349504  NOTICE: done
19:52:11 M: 27541504  NOTICE: FATAL: header tail mismatch -- possible corruption?
19:52:11 M: 27541504  NOTICE: FATAL: this doesn't appear to be an xbox iso image
19:52:11 M: 27865088  NOTICE: ERROR: Script has failed
19:52:13 M: 27541504  NOTICE: FATAL: header tail mismatch -- possible corruption?
19:52:13 M: 27541504  NOTICE: FATAL: this doesn't appear to be an xbox iso image
19:52:13 M: 27865088  NOTICE: ERROR: Script has failed
19:52:14 M: 27852800  NOTICE: ================================================================================

Probably the parentheses are breaking something in the script.

Edited by Rapper_skull

19 minutes ago, Rapper_skull said:

As I said, I'm already naming my files like that. Unfortunately, the problem is with <filename> itself. As an example, I tried with Max Payne 2. If I name my files "Max Payne 2.N.iso", everything works. But if they are named "Max Payne 2 (Europe) (En Es It).N.iso", it breaks with the following error in the log file:

That's correct. I'm surprised it even let you transfer those files to the XBOX as that seems to exceed the character limit.  In any case, it sounds like you already have your multi-part XISO script issue figured out (naming convention being the culprit).

That combined with the limit of how many XISOs can be in a folder that the script is searching for (about 6) at once hopefully this record can help future people who may run into these issues.

On another note have you ever been able to run any ISOs through this script that were ripped from a game disc using DVD2XBOX? I suspect that it is ripping ISOs and not XISOs but it could also be that the game discs I'm using are too scratched.

18 minutes ago, Infinite Clouds said:

That's correct. I'm surprised it even let you transfer those files to the XBOX as that seems to exceed the character limit.  In any case, it sounds like you already have your multi-part XISO script issue figured out (naming convention being the culprit).

That combined with the limit of how many XISOs can be in a folder that the script is searching for (about 6) at once hopefully this record can help future people who may run into these issues.

On another note have you ever been able to run any ISOs through this script that were ripped from a game disc using DVD2XBOX? I suspect that it is ripping ISOs and not XISOs but it could also be that the game discs I'm using are too scratched.

All the file names I used don't break the character limit.

I only used Redump ISOs converted to XISO by myself, so I have no idea about DVD2XBOX.

BTW I fixed the problem and created a pull request: https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers/pull/5

The memory issue remains to be addressed, but it's still something.

Edited by Rapper_skull
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rapper_skull said:

strange. 

The script needs to have a few more lines of code added to it to print out exactly what is going on when it is testing that the dot iso file is in fact in XISO format:

https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers/blob/master/Mod Files/system/scripts/XBMC4Gamers Extras/XISO to HDD Installer/default.py

def check_iso(iso_file):
    iso_info = {}
    ## check for validity
    iso_file.seek(0x10000)
    if iso_file.read(0x14).decode("ascii", "ignore") == 'MICROSOFT*XBOX*MEDIA':
        iso_info['sector_size'] = 0x800
        ## read the directory table
        iso_file.seek(0x10014)
        iso_info['root_dir_sector'] = unpack('I', iso_file.read(4))[0] #dtable
        iso_info['root_dir_size'] = unpack('I', iso_file.read(4))[0]
        return iso_info
        iso_file.seek(0x107ec) # skip unused info
    elif iso_file.read(0x14).decode("ascii", "ignore") != 'MICROSOFT*XBOX*MEDIA':  # read tailend of header
        print("FATAL: header tail mismatch -- possible corruption?")
        print("FATAL: this doesn't appear to be an xbox iso image")

return False

For some reason, the elif section is TRUE.

10 hours ago, Rapper_skull said:

All the file names I used don't break the character limit.

I only used Redump ISOs converted to XISO by myself, so I have no idea about DVD2XBOX.

BTW I fixed the problem and created a pull request: https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers/pull/5

The memory issue remains to be addressed, but it's still something.

I hadn't seen your fix when I posted my previous reply.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:46 AM, Infinite Clouds said:

I was able to run the script targeting a folder with about 6 XISOs. Any more than that and it would give that error posted above.

I think I've fixed this problem. I installed 36 games in one go without any problem. I opened a pull request, but if you want you can try the attached .py file.

default.py

I have iso loading working great with M8Plus v16 BIOS too, but a chained kernel patcher load was fail all the times. They  not boot to default dash after logo boot but always stay at black screen . I already edit bios to boot dash 1 is C:\evoxdash.xbe (kernel patch) ; dash 2 is C:\evox.xbe (default dash). So am i missing to do something ? Plz help me.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:03 AM, 911 said:

I have iso loading working great with M8Plus v16 BIOS too, but a chained kernel patcher load was fail all the times. They  not boot to default dash after logo boot but always stay at black screen . I already edit bios to boot dash 1 is C:\evoxdash.xbe (kernel patch) ; dash 2 is C:\evox.xbe (default dash). So am i missing to do something ? Plz help me.

If you have an ind-bios file (or something like that) on your c:\ root you need to rename it to something else "no-ind-bios" or "null" or whatever you want will work fine. That will prevent the hang

Finally it work! So i just do with the stock bios no need to flash an edit boot dash bios. Setup all file needed (evoxdash.xbe "kernel patch" ; evox.xbe "defualt dash" ) rename ind-bios.cfg for sure ,then run nkpatcher8.1.xbe. Screen go black in 1  2 min so i  reset the xbox, logo show up then black screen and blink 1 times and unleashx logo show up. By the way thanks for the advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my 1.6 xbox running evox m8plus to mount xiso images (putting the Virtual Drive folder into e:\Apps\Virtual Drive and then running patcher.xbe from the file manager within XBMC4Xbox. However, I have to manually run the patcher.xbe every time from within Xbmc, then run the attach.xbe/default.xbe for the game I want. I still cannot figure out how to load the patcher first and then load XBMC4Xbox. Currently on my C:\ drive is evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg pointing to E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe. I always get a black screen if I try to rename the patcher to evoxdash.xbe and the xbmc forwarder to evox.xbe.

Sorry for the confusing first post. Excited about finally being able to mount but would love some advice on correctly chaining loading the patch and then dash.