OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.xx SneakPeak!

NeMesiS

6 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

NeMesis,

There are those pcb's with those stubby springs on the edge or face I've seen in various equipment PCB's .... the ones not unlike the small sim card springs for example. Dunno what pitch they go down to, have to ask the fab houses on that if they do it.

If you had a pcb that fitted over the entire top of the video encoder, cut out in the middle with corresponding pins on sides (some for location fitting) and then a small pressure clamp over it then something like that might work as a solder-less fitment maybe.

Other than that it's those spider springs which are pretty terrible really. Can't imagine 20+ row of those being reliable.

I remember a solderless modchip like that for the Wii. Just clamped right onto the IC... that would be GREAT.

27 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

NeMesis,

There are those pcb's with those stubby springs on the edge or face I've seen in various equipment PCB's .... the ones not unlike the small sim card springs for example. Dunno what pitch they go down to, have to ask the fab houses on that if they do it.

If you had a pcb that fitted over the entire top of the video encoder, cut out in the middle with corresponding pins on sides (some for location fitting) and then a small pressure clamp over it then something like that might work as a solder-less fitment maybe.

Other than that it's those spider springs which are pretty terrible really. Can't imagine 20+ row of those being reliable.

What something like this? (below image)

I'm not sure if there's enough clear space around the outer perimeter of the encoder for a PCB

AJFCJaWRSeYiWRbdY_ua4iXovKsZtLznYhQUunYh

High Quality Tqfp100 Fqfp100 Qfp100 To Dip100 Programming Socket Otq-100-0.5-09 Pitch 0.5mm Ic Body Size 14x14mm Test Adapter - Integrated Circuits - AliExpress

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I'm honestly  not sure what the pads look like now, so I couldn't say...

I think I've probably gone a bit too long with the pads maybe?

Definitely need to reduce the via hole size along with the castellated holes on the edge.

This is my first attempt at a flex cable so a learning curve was expected as I wasn't sure

how my CAD designs would translate to a physical object.

AJFCJaXERE5a3aTuFDKTG_V8Cub3KlWZCew7ZvNj

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Oh right, interesting...

I'd be glad to order some to check them out if you could find where I could get something like that..

Was just the idea, don't know where to get them etc. Guess the best option would be to start with the pin spacing sizes... prolly .67 or half mill or sommet is it? Not looked yet myself at the encoder though soldered to them several times, not measured them or looked at the chip pdf yet.

Might find an IC socket with same pitch and cut the socket up to correct lengths, soldered to a pcb and size to press on with a clamp. Might work. Pcb would have to be deadly accurate.

22 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Definitely need to reduce the via hole size along with the castellated holes on the edge.

This is my first attempt at a flex cable so a learning curve was expected as I wasn't sure

They gave me some daft quote for the ribbon flex at 30 off - so told em to stuff it and thought since I'd not built the HDMI boards I'd just use ribbon cable at mega fine pitch for a challenge lol
So not done anything with that yet.

I've been looking for you and the company that made that appears to have stopped making it, plus I can't find a small pitch one either.

I know it would be great to have something attach to the encoder so buyers could easily install it. I know it's no good being easy for you, me and others who do this kind of work and smaller, it would help a lot of Xbox fans out if there was something easy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Never mind...

SIB-109-02-F-S - Samtec - Spring Loaded Connector, Compression Connector, 2.54 mm (newark.com)

Not a cheap option...

I find solutions for solderless installs tend to get expensive.

Yeah it was a dead link on the manufacturers site from the pic I found.

If I find anything good in future for it I will let you know, since I'll only install the ones I make myself.

1 hour ago, NeMesiS said:

At the moment, I think the pads are probably fine. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with shorter ones if it's easy, but I don't see an issue. :) If you wanna shorten them, make them perfectly symmetrical around the via.

I did have an attempt at a solderless solution for the Xenium modchip.

I dubbed the first stage the "mostly" solderless adaptor as D0 still needed to be soldered.

It was for v1.1 to 1.5 only as v1.6 needed a different adaptor and v1.0 LPC's are usually filled with solder.

Since there wasn't much interest in it, I discontinued the idea.

I based the design on the original XeniumSPICE (v1.6) solderless adaptor.

For second stage I would have looked into getting the probing wire I would have needed for D0.

Stage 3 would have been a complete clone of the SPICE adaptor.

AJFCJaVzvVvZFHnwBuVcfpBdgzJCjbiQXDzZNwy8

AJFCJaURC2ZDUCc67hTL0wkkrfxxGNmlbzxim2AV

AJFCJaXG6wnPfb5OFB-5ztc1Ttmoye_uYNV6cw-J

LoL... I just noticed in this random image I found that the pins are all bent.

No matter how fool proof you make something there's always someone that will Suprise you.

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Other thing that could be an issue is while it makes contact… is it enough for interference free video.  I’ve seen a few installs that looked ok… but had artifacts in video.  A bit more solder resolved it.  Also larger contacts like the compression connector above have more surface area to all interference in.   Essentially you could be trading ease for video quality (playing devils advocate)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Nice work by the way, nice board too.

I like the boards with copper looking traces.

You might be interested in this:

XeniumICE by NeMesiS - Page 24 - www.emuxtras.net

I compiled a list of replacement capacitors for all versions.

Replacing the CPU capacitors with polymers can significantly improve picture quality.

AMWts8B4XBfZNtX-JUpT_ZnOSbNd5ORmdOfZGs_1

AMWts8B9l92nw7ZF_-rRPjPsfReA-C7wh_vovxyw

This needs a thread of its own.   The ticking time bomb of capacitor failure is going to start being a thing soon for the OG, just as it has for all my 80’s  and 90’s consoles and computers.  

Im not sure where but I read that modern capacitors have a better tolerance than the crap they fitted in the older day. So the  general quality stuff is now as good as the top end stuff was back when the 80-90’s stuff was made, considering the manufacturers would only use cheap or middle of the road stuff, replacement should tighten up timings etc and make consoles better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, big F said:

This needs a thread of its own.   The ticking time bomb of capacitor failure is going to start being a thing soon for the OG, just as it has for all my 80’s  and 90’s consoles and computers.  

Im not sure where but I read that modern capacitors have a better tolerance than the crap they fitted in the older day. So the  general quality stuff is now as good as the top end stuff was back when the 80-90’s stuff was made, considering the manufacturers would only use cheap or middle of the road stuff, replacement should tighten up timings etc and make consoles better.

Thread of it's own: Original Xbox Replacement Caps - Badcaps Forums ;)

EDIT: But yea there should be one on the forum here...

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

I did have an attempt at a solderless solution for the Xenium modchip.

I dubbed the first stage the "mostly" solderless adaptor as D0 still needed to be soldered.

It was for v1.1 to 1.5 only as v1.6 needed a different adaptor and v1.0 LPC's are usually filled with solder.

Since there wasn't much interest in it, I discontinued the idea.

I based the design on the original XeniumSPICE (v1.6) solderless adaptor.

For second stage I would have looked into getting the probing wire I would have needed for D0.

Stage 3 would have been a complete clone of the SPICE adaptor.

AJFCJaVzvVvZFHnwBuVcfpBdgzJCjbiQXDzZNwy8

AJFCJaURC2ZDUCc67hTL0wkkrfxxGNmlbzxim2AV

AJFCJaXG6wnPfb5OFB-5ztc1Ttmoye_uYNV6cw-J

LoL... I just noticed in this random image I found that the pins are all bent.

No matter how fool proof you make something there's always someone that will Suprise you.

WOAH, I remember those solderless adapters... what a blast to the past, man! I remember them being unreliable as time went on too, since the only relied on direct, downward pressure.

How the hell would somebody even bend the pins like that? lol. That seems highly improbable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

WOAH, I remember those solderless adapters... what a blast to the past, man! I remember them being unreliable as time went on too, since the only relied on direct, downward pressure.

How the hell would somebody even bend the pins like that? lol. That seems highly improbable.

I still have an X3 installed with an Xapt3r.. Still going strong. Was my first hardmod back in the 00's :)

• Like 1