OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.xx SneakPeak!

NeMesiS

2 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Your chips could be a different story since they technically have to be open sourced (xenium based chips)

I did my XeniumICE PCB design before there was an OpenXenium. But I do use the OpenXenium firmware. 

Kekule had seen my work on the PCB design and introduced me to Ryzee119 while he was still working on the firmware.

In the end I had a working prototype within a few days of the initial release of the OpenXenium using my own hardware design.

I use OpenSource firmware but all hardware designs are of my own. 

EDIT: I actually found one of the first interactions Ryzee119 and I had back in early October 2019

Should I clone the "Xenium Ice" - Page 3 - www.emuxtras.net

Alot of the images in that thread are gone but some still remain on page 3

AJFCJaXdd_qs9eGhTry48ri4I5pVMy4agmf7fxxX

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 3

I'm going to find myself in a similar situation with the HDMI mod.

There are going to be similarities when working with existing hardware (fitment).

And even more similarities when everyone's following the same datasheets (schematic).

But I've been using Ryzee119's XboxHDMI for reference as there wasn't much of a datasheet for the ADV7511.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/XboxHDMI-Ryzee119

I only just noticed that LoveMHz was a contributor so I'm not sure which project came first.

With some small changes I don't see why Ryzee119's firmware couldn't work on a MakeMHz device with an STM32 mcu.

Or vice versa...

AJFCJaVzlkMvv7E5eptWjjVMJYRu9qFvD4DTPi1j

AJFCJaUyotkzIrDlBnTUswio9AmmLyVgS1diZjon

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

I'm going to find myself in a similar situation with the HDMI mod.

There are going to be similarities when working with existing hardware (fitment).

And even more similarities when everyone's following the same datasheets (schematic).

But I've been using Ryzee119's XboxHDMI for reference as there wasn't much of a datasheet for the ADV7511.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/XboxHDMI-Ryzee119

I only just noticed that LoveMHz was a contributor so I'm not sure which project came first.

With some small changes I don't see why Ryzee119's firmware couldn't work on a MakeMHz device with an STM32 mcu.

Or vice versa...

AJFCJaVzlkMvv7E5eptWjjVMJYRu9qFvD4DTPi1j

AJFCJaUyotkzIrDlBnTUswio9AmmLyVgS1diZjon

Wait a minute... are you saying that the chipset (one used in the MakeMHZ design) can be theoretically modified with firmware that you can write to allow for any bios to be used? Is there any way for him to block that without completely changing his design?

• Like 1

It’s not the board that is limiting the bios.   It’s the patches that tell the Xbox how to use the hdmi board.  There has only been patched for M8. (As far as I know).  Other bioses could be used if someone made the patches necessary. (Way over my head)

Edited by Dtomcat18
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Just to clarify… I wasn’t insinuating anything.  I just thought since the firmware was of open sourced…. That your project also had to be open sourced.  :)

I'm not insulted but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Since the firmware's are readily available on GitHub, I could sell hardware without programming.

And that's what I might have to do with the HDMI mod.

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Wait a minute... are you saying that the chipset (one used in the MakeMHZ design) can be theoretically modified with firmware that you can write to allow for any bios to be used? Is there any way for him to block that without completely changing his design?

Thats not something I can answer. Especially if you're referring to StellaHD+.

My focus is on hardware...

4 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

There is also one for Rockys iND 5003 XISO bios. But it was for the initial HDMI version not for the later HD+ version so I'm not sure if it would work there as well. 

I think iND-BiOS works I just did an install for a customer and I used it. (XBoxHD+ non-stellar version)

But the customer wanted to tinker so I left some stuff for him to tinker with.

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

I'm not insulted but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Since the firmware's are readily available on GitHub, I could sell hardware without programming.

And that's what I might have to do with the HDMI mod.

Thats not something I can answer. Especially if you're referring to StellaHD+.

My focus is on hardware...

I think iND-BiOS works I just did an install for a customer and I used it. (XBoxHD+ non-stellar version)

But the customer wanted to tinker so I left some stuff for him to tinker with.

I'm just attempting to get around Dustin. I wish it could be done... especially since he's already mass producing hardware that can be used with a certain bios if it's patched. (Ahem CERBIOS!!!! cough cough...) Excuse me.... Wish the already patched bioses could be reverse engineered to find the code that would make Cerbios work. I think that can only be done with source, though... 

Well, There's going to be HUGE demand for this hardware when you finish it. Because it's awesome. You will enable any bios to be used... Sounds like there's gonna be a line of people waiting, or people are going to have to solder them on their own if they want them... maybe it's a good time to learn to PCB solder, eh? :)

• Like 2

Comparing the StellarHD+ and the older XboxHD+.

I immediately noticed the lack of an MCU which seems to have been relocated over to the Stellar modchip.

So the HDMI mod is more of just a daughter board now and cannot operate on it's own.

If you just wanted the modchip you're still paying for much of the hardware for the HDMI mod.

The HDMI mod now seems even more over priced considering there's no MCU or firmware.

It's not difficult to work out how much the components are worth through sites like DigiKey and Mouser.

Your only really left with the ADV7511 and a bunch of other basic components.

AJFCJaWzeqOsoIasPoBtU-8zhTrt0ngefVJkr6EP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Comparing the StellarHD+ and the older XboxHD+.

I immediately noticed the lack of an MCU which seems to have been relocated over to the Stellar modchip.

So the HDMI mod is more of just a daughter board now and cannot operate on it's own.

If you just wanted the modchip you're still paying for much of the hardware for the HDMI mod.

The HDMI mod now seems even more over priced considering there's no MCU or firmware.

It's not difficult to work out how much the components are worth through sites like DigiKey and Mouser.

Your only really left with the ADV7511 and a bunch of other basic components.

AJFCJaWzeqOsoIasPoBtU-8zhTrt0ngefVJkr6EP

Oh my GOD. How can I ever hope to solder that...The legs are VERY close together. I think I would be entering commercial territory and having to use heat and solder paste, correct? Or is it easier than I'm assuming it to be? You're planning on using some of the same components?

12 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I'm just attempting to get around Dustin. I wish it could be done... especially since he's already mass producing hardware that can be used with a certain bios if it's patched. (Ahem CERBIOS!!!! cough cough...) Excuse me.... Wish the already patched bioses could be reverse engineered to find the code that would make Cerbios work. I think that can only be done with source, though... 

Well, There's going to be HUGE demand for this hardware when you finish it. Because it's awesome. You will enable any bios to be used... Sounds like there's gonna be a line of people waiting, or people are going to have to solder them on their own if they want them... maybe it's a good time to learn to PCB solder, eh? :)

Your better off comparing what I'm trying to do with the XboxHD+ not the StallarHD+

4 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Oh my GOD. How can I ever hope to solder that...The legs are VERY close together. I think I would be entering commercial territory and having to use heat and solder paste, correct?

0.5mm spacing I think... much like the xenium...

I intent on selling preassembled units much like what I've been doing.

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NeMesiS said:

Your better off comparing what I'm trying to do with the XboxHD+ not the StallarHD+

0.5mm spacing I think... much like the xenium...

I intent on selling preassembled unit much like what I've been doing.

Is there a difference between the two HD+ units, other than Dustin making it impossible to use without Stellar and pulling an Apple move?

How many units do you plan on producing anyway? Enough to cover the demand I know there will be? That's a lot of soldering if you're doing them by hand. 😛

Just now, Bowlsnapper said:

Is there a difference between the two HD+ units, other than Dustin making it impossible to use without Stellar and pulling an Apple move?

How many units do you plan on producing anyway? Enough to cover the demand I know there will be? That's a lot of soldering if you're doing them by hand. 😛

There's no MCU on the StellarHD+ HDMI module

Thats as about as far as I looked into that.

I'll keep making them so long as they keep selling.

After I'm confident with final design and had some testers try it out.

I'll probably start with a small batch of 100pcs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

There's no MCU on the StellarHD+ HDMI module

Thats as about as far as I looked into that.

I'll keep making them so long as they keep selling.

After I'm confident with final design and had some testers try it out.

I'll probably start with a small batch of 100pcs.

I'll definitely want one. For now, I'm afraid to solder... Maybe I'll be better by then...

Thank you for answering all my questions. I know I have a lot of them. :)

15 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Oh my GOD. How can I ever hope to solder that...The legs are VERY close together. I think I would be entering commercial territory and having to use heat and solder paste, correct? Or is it easier than I'm assuming it to be? 

Everthing comes down to your personal skill (in the very first place) and the tools you use. ;) Look at one of your TSOP's. If I'm not wrong those are 0.5mm pitch. Not to hard to solder under a microscope and the right tip. :)

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I'll definitely want one. For now, I'm afraid to solder... Maybe I'll be better by then...

Thank you for answering all my questions. I know I have a lot of them. :)

All good... Have you or anyone else installed one of the HDMI mods before?

Could there be any improvements in regards to installation?

• Like 1

When you get down to it.  I can test if you’d like.  I have all the equipment and have already installed one :).  

One way to help with cost is to ship all units to one US tester and have that tester ship to all others (just an idea to reach more testers)

• Like 1

Well I';ve installed a few of these for customers.

There have been a couple of times where they would send me a standard black console to mod.

But would swap everything to a crystal or halo console once they got it.

I've been thinking doing without solder pads in exchange for connectors.

So like a 3pin connector for 5v, GND and SPDIF. One side of cable gets soldered to the mobo.

Alternatively I could forward 5v and GND (plus sda/scl) from the Xenium modchip, leaving only SPDIF to be connected.

But then not everyone's gonna use one of my modchips.

I dont think it would hurt to have 5v coming from 2 different sources as they are all the same 5v line to begin with.

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Everthing comes down to your personal skill (in the very first place) and the tools you use. ;) Look at one of your TSOP's. If I'm not wrong those are 0.5mm pitch. Not to hard to solder under a microscope and the right tip. :)

Lol, you make it sound so easy! And yes, you're probably right.

6 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

All good... Have you or anyone else installed one of the HDMI mods before?

Could there be any improvements in regards to installation?

Tomcat's definitely more qualified right now to install an HDMI mod. The ribbons worry me because I can't see what I'm soldering, I think. Aren't the points underneath? By the time you start testing or shipping these, I will be able to do an install. I learn fast and just haven't because I've been working... up until now. Lol. I definitely need a better Iron, though...

Not familiar with 5V sources on LPC.  Only concerned would be what it can source … and what type of noise the hdmi board would induce.  Would think the new stellar setup would’ve done that if it was feasible (guess only).  Or could be stellar pulls more current and none left over.   Or simply leave as is to make switching from old to new easier 

3 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Well I';ve installed a few of these for customers.

There have been a couple of times where they would send me a standard black console to mod.

But would swap everything to a crystal or halo console once they got it.

I've been thinking doing without solder pads in exchange for connectors.

So like a 3pin connector for 5v, GND and SPDIF. One side of cable gets soldered to the mobo.

Alternatively I could forward 5v and GND from the Xenium modchip, leaving only SPDIF to be connected.

But then not everyone's gonna use one of my modchips.

I dont think it would hurt to have 5v coming from 2 different sources as they are all the same 5v line to begin with.

Hell, I'll buy one at least. I would love to support you! :) You have good ideas too, from the sound of it...

5 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Not familiar with 5V sources on LPC.  Only concerned would be what it can source … and what type of noise the hdmi board would induce.  Would think the new stellar setup would’ve done that if it was feasible (guess only).  Or could be stellar pulls more current and none left over.   Or simply leave as is to make switching from old to new easier 

Well Ryzee119 is only using a 150mA regulator for 3.3v...

5.0v is not really used directly for powering the components.

MakeMHz moves the 1.8v regulator over to the QSB board.

But uses 2x 3.3v regulators on the HDMI board.

Either those tiny regulators don't produce enough power on their own

or it's to help with noise I'm not entirely sure why they've done that.

I've been working on a 2-layer design but might go with 4-layer,

keeping data traces in the center sandwiched between alotta grounding.

But the consoles shielding should be enough for most external noise.

I tried to boot a motherboard outside of the console without any shielding

one time and I couldn't get any picture via component cable whatsoever...

• Like 1