pmp174

Capacitor Issues

I bought a used Xbox. It seems to be functioning. I removed the clock capacitor. However I found these capacitors to be slightly corroded. I cleaned it lightly with Isopropyl alcohol. (Not sure if that was a good idea). What should I do? Should I replace these capacitors. I believe this is a 1.2 revision. It was made Oct 2003. So not sure. By the way let that be known in case it hasn't happened to anyone. That other capacitors may be starting to go bad.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Yes those Cap's need to be replaced there about to explode.

And yes it happens to heaps if not all of electronic's. I have been replacing  faulty caps for as long as I can remember.

Isopropyl Alcohol is safe to clean the PCB with the higher the percentage the better(like a good scotch).

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes those Cap's need to be replaced there about to explode.

And yes it happens to heaps if not all of electronic's. I have been replacing  faulty caps for as long as I can remember.

Isopropyl Alcohol is safe to clean the PCB with the higher the percentage the better(like a good scotch).

SS Dave

Do you happen to know what kinds of capacitor of Xboxes use? Any vid with info on this?

The reason that the caps fail is talked about in this WIKI

Please login or register to see this link.

As for what Cap's there is plenty of debates online regarding brands to use.

But for me I use low ESR style caps in my repairs and I have not had any problems.

SS Dave      

Hello, 

I use Panasonic low esr, the one that have the longuest life. About 6000 or 7000 hours.

The Bad caps are for cpu/gpu. Dont hésitate to buy good qualité ones

Bye