OGXbox.com

Best Performing Sata Adapter For FatXplorer

I'm currently using the Startech USB2SataIDE to build new hdd's with FatX. I have the USB3SataIDE version, but it doesnt work with FatX. I don't know if it's because it uses an Innostor-IS611 chip, compared to the JMicron-JM20337 of the USB2 version, or something else. I've heard of people using USB3 with FatX and was curious if anyone here has had success. I average 27MB/s, just looking to do better.

I don't think is a specific USB3 issue; if the housing/adapter uses a particular chip you can have problems with certain attached storage devices whatever the USB version.

My previous primary USB housings (which are not Startech) which are USB2.0 dual IDE/SATA refused to work with a Crucial MX500 SSD so I never even had the chance to test it with FATXplorer. I bought a very basic Startech SATA > USB3.0 adapter (USB3S2SAT3CB) and used with the same SSD it worked perfectly and I cloned my desktop's primary HDD to it successfully.

Not tried it with FATXplorer but I thought it might be worth a go as they appear less sophisticated than the combi-type you're using and pretty cheap too.

However something I noticed just now, when checking its spec, and the advice provide is that particular adapter will only work with 2.5" drives of any sort, SSD or HDD. Why is not explained but for both 2.5" and 3.5" SSD/HDD Startech themselves point potential buyers at the SATA only USB312SAT3 adapter rather than the USB3SSATAIDE one the OP is using.

That will of course depend on whether he is using a a SATA or IDE HDD but I'd guess it is most likely now we are talking here about a SATA HDD.

Whether it works, judging from Startech user feedback, with particular combinations of equipment appears to be a matter of suck it and see. Not very helpful.

11 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I bought a very basic Startech SATA > USB3.0 adapter (USB3S2SAT3CB) and used with the same SSD it worked perfectly and I cloned my desktop's primary HDD to it successfully.

I have that exact adapter as well and it doesn't work either. I mainly use WD Blue's, but I'm looking at used ssd's on ebay. Hoping to find 2TB's for a similar price that don't have thousands of hours.

14 hours ago, NokSueCow said:

I'm currently using the Startech USB2SataIDE to build new hdd's with FatX. I have the USB3SataIDE version, but it doesnt work with FatX. I don't know if it's because it uses an Innostor-IS611 chip, compared to the JMicron-JM20337 of the USB2 version, or something else. I've heard of people using USB3 with FatX and was curious if anyone here has had success. I average 27MB/s, just looking to do better.

i have Innostor-IS611 and it works, simply go to hdd security>options> device type - SAT.

You have to do this change before plugging in the usb adapter.

46 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

^ I've often thought about getting one of those types and I actually have a Xbox related job where being able to clone the HDD directly to another could be useful.

I used to sell consoles and being able to clone a fully set up drive for each new console saved a butt load of time lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

^ I've often thought about getting one of those types and I actually have a Xbox related job where being able to clone the HDD directly to another could be useful.

I have one of these also, and it is VERY handy. I can clone a drive when I need to, which is often., and I can hook up through USB 3.0 and use FATXplorer if I need to modify anything. It's perfect. Not the same unit, but the same basic design.

• Like 1

Upon doing more research, initially, I thought that FatX only worked with USB adapters. I have 2 hot swap sata docks on my pc case and tried them. Instantly got speeds maxing out around 180MB/s, much better than my USB 2.0 speeds of 27MB/s.

I built this pc in 2010, and my motherboard allows me to swap from IDE to AHCI in the bios to enable sata hot swapping, but I get a BSOD error with invalid boot device. I'm fine going without hotswapping with these speeds. What took over half a day, now takes about 2 hours.

6 minutes ago, NokSueCow said:

Upon doing more research, initially, I thought that FatX only worked with USB adapters. I have 2 hot swap sata docks on my pc case and tried them. Instantly got speeds maxing out around 180MB/s, much better than my USB 2.0 speeds of 27MB/s.

I built this pc in 2010, and my motherboard allows me to swap from IDE to AHCI in the bios to enable sata hot swapping, but I get a BSOD error with invalid boot device. I'm fine going without hotswapping with these speeds. What took over half a day, now takes about 2 hours.

FATXplorer works in ANY instance where the bios detects a device and passes that info to the operating system (windows). The possibilities are myriad. :)

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 10:26 AM, nikeymikey said:

I have this one, more of a cloner but it works to connect your hdd to your pc as well. I have exclusively used it with Xbox hard drives so far and not one issue. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076H5P6Z1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using this for a while. Always works well. No incompatibility issues with exception is NAS drives. Which I don’t recommend using with Xbox anyway.