OGXbox.com

Problem with adapter and Slayer Evox 2.7

technoob

Hi all, I've recently bought this adapter , I connected it to the power and the data cables (Seagate SATA 250gb drive 3.5"), inserted Slayer Evox 2.7 DVD, but it stucks a bit into the Xbox splash screen (while showing the pink icon on the top-left, no "Slayer Evox 2.7" appears below the Xbox logo) before giving me Error 16.

So I switched back to the old PATA drive, Evox launched correctly, switched the drives (while Evox still running) but :
- when I format, it takes ages and returns '0' on each partition

- when I try to lock/unlock it freezes (blank text on blue container)

- when I try install as new large hdd it takes to formatting

- when I try to install just Evox on C it takes weirdly no time (after formatting all partitions took ages as usual). Edit: I just tried, left the console for a while, then returned and as before all partitions shown '0' and when I reboot (thinking the install process was complete) same Error 16 as before, sometimes error 7

So what I'm supposed to do?
FYI: the adapter has no "slave/master" thing on it, just the 40 pins and the power ones (but it seems making the hard drive working/sounding).

Edited by technoob

42 minutes ago, technoob said:

meh I knew I wasted money.

just trying the new OGXBOX installer and if it doesn't work, I think I'm going to sell it all, I'm officially done with it.

Buy a startech for 20 dollars and expect to not have any issues with your adapter anymore. As well as being able to assign a master designation to the HDD.

8 minutes ago, technoob said:

can't the designation be done on the hdd itself?

The SATA drives don’t have the pin designation for that. Unfortunately he will have to set it on that particular adapter which doesn’t appear to have one as crazy as that is. I’m not sure why they would  make that type of adapter and not have m/s/cs pin designations like startech and others do. Seems like omitting that function doesn’t really serve a purpose. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

11 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

The SATA drives don’t have the pin designation for that. Unfortunately he will have to set it on the adapter which doesn’t appear to have one as crazy as that is. That particular adapter I mean. 

Then why the other green adapter didn't work as it had master/slave jumper?

Edited by technoob

55 minutes ago, technoob said:

Frosty and I are trying to tell you that the SATA HDDs themselves to not have Jumpers on them because it serves no purpose in a PC. The bus has individual SATA ports and devices do not share the same cable, so there is no purpose to SATA drives having priority jumpers. The SATA ADAPTERS are what have them, because IDE devices DO use jumpers, since they share the same cable and that is how IDE works. It's there more for compatibility reasons, would be one way to think about it.

If your adapter has no priority jumper, then it will not support a secondary device and your DVD-ROM drive will not even work. This is something I have only heard from others and haven't experienced myself, but that is my understanding. You may experience other bus problems as well. 

Please, just buy a StarTech... It's only 20 bucks. That's one hour of minimum wage in this collapsing economy. 😛 You will have no problems to fix and it will just WORK.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, technoob said:

Per the original post this adapter unfortunately did not have one. Hence the issue with it. That’s why I was saying it seems kind of pointless to build an adapter without that option. I was hoping there might be a way to desolder and jump something on that adapter board to force a master state but I’ve been able to find nothing online. Unfortunately I think, as others have said, the only re ourselves is a different adapter with the pin designation options. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

7 minutes ago, Marty said:

These were built with the understand that their use would be primarily in PC's, where you would have full channel configuration available through the BIOS.

Ah. Honestly I’d forgotten about that even being an option. Lol My own personal preference was and is pin settings be they on adapters or hdds. I never trusted the bios enough with that.

36 minutes ago, Marty said:

These were built with the understand that their use would be primarily in PC's, where you would have full channel configuration available through the BIOS.

yep, reading on various reviews on amazon, it seems like it wasn't made for devices with more than 1 drive.
case solved, this adapter sucks and I lost my money.

26 minutes ago, technoob said:

yep, reading on various reviews on amazon, it seems like it wasn't made for devices with more than 1 drive.
case solved, this adapter sucks and I lost my money.

Consider it a lesson learned.  I also learned this the hard way and haven't had an issue since replacing mine with a startech adapter.

11 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Consider it a lesson learned.  I also learned this the hard way and haven't had an issue since replacing mine with a startech adapter.

Indeed and good point. I think it’s something that’s happened to us all at one point. I believe it is why we all live or die by startech adapters now. Lol. Right @Bowlsnapper? Funny we were just talking this point amongst others in your other post, Bowl. :) 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Indeed and good point. I think it’s something that’s happened to us all at one point. I believe it is why we all live or die by startech adapters now. Lol. Right @Bowlsnapper? Funny we were just talking this point amongst others in your other post, Bowl. :) 

It's a one and done purchase. You buy it and it just works. Your troubleshooting will involve something else at that point, not HDD or IDE bus issues caused by your adapter.

8 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

It's a one and done purchase. You buy it and it just works. Your troubleshooting will involve something else at that point, not HDD or IDE bus issues caused by your adapter.

Exactly. 

I’d love it if they were ten dollars rather than twenty but you can’t argue with the results. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

Had a quick scan through the replies so maybe I missed it but couldn't this problem be, possibly, because technoob is not using an 80 wire IDE cable? It fits the evidence: PATA drive works perfectly, switch to SATA + Adapter and there's a problem.

It has to be either the cable or the adapter or both.   

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Had a quick scan through the replies so maybe I missed it but couldn't this problem be, possibly, because technoob is not using an 80 wire IDE cable? It fits the evidence: PATA drive works perfectly, switch to SATA + Adapter and there's a problem.

It has to be either the cable or the adapter or both.   

...Holy shit. He never said what cable he was using. Did we really skip over that!?

@technoob

I'm using the default cable of the Xbox, which worked both with the original hdd and others "upgraded" larger hdd

even if I get one, there's still that master/slave thing which is impossible to know with the adapter I bought, according to the seller it was used with a usb 2.0 network station.

really, people need to sell adapters in bundle with cables and make it economically accessible, I think I have wasted enough time, patience and money already. already put the consoles on sale anyway... so it's not like I'm that interested anymore...

Edited by technoob
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, technoob said:

I'm using the default cable of the Xbox, which worked both with the original hdd and others "upgraded" larger hdd

even if I get one, there's still that master/slave thing which is impossible to know with the adapter I bought, according to the seller it was used with a usb 2.0 network station.

really, people need to sell adapters in bundle with cables and make it economically accessible, I think I have wasted enough time, patience and money already. already put the consoles on sale anyway... so it's not like I'm that interested anymore...

Noob... You need to use an 80 wire cable, buddy. The stock IDE cable will not work for you. Please trust this. We all have a LOT of experience with it.

https://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-80-Wire-2-Drive-Ribbon-Manhattan/dp/B003IDF0JC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EB6RHT81KUUS&keywords=80+wire+ide&qid=1698512116&sprefix=80+wire+i%2Caps%2C456&sr=8-3

This may get your cheapo adapter to work... With no DVD ROM drive. I would get a StarTech if the cheapo won't work for you. If you get a StarTech and that ide cable, you will, theoretically, have zero problems with your HDD setup, at least as it pertains to your cable and adapter. The StarTech has a master/slave jumper.

Please don't give up.

3 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Noob... You need to use an 80 wire cable, buddy. The stock IDE cable will not work for you. Please trust this. We all have a LOT of experience with it.

https://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-80-Wire-2-Drive-Ribbon-Manhattan/dp/B003IDF0JC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EB6RHT81KUUS&keywords=80+wire+ide&qid=1698512116&sprefix=80+wire+i%2Caps%2C456&sr=8-3

This may get your cheapo adapter to work... With no DVD ROM drive. I would get a StarTech if the cheapo won't work for you. If you get a StarTech and that ide cable, you will, theoretically, have zero problems with your HDD setup, at least as it pertains to your cable and adapter. Please don't give up.

what about the blank pin in the middle of that cable?

Edited by technoob