OGXbox.com

No DVD Rom access with startech sata adapter

Fringle

Recently acquired 3 Xboxes that I have tsop flashed with Cerbios.  At first I purchased a cheap sata to IDE adapter and quickly found when I connected it I had no access to the DVD rom.  I was also using the 40 wire IDE cable at the time so, I purchased an 80 wire IDE cable hoping it would solve the problem but unfortunately still no DVD rom access.  I then purchased the startech adapter believing it would indeed fix the issue but alas, still no DVD rom access.  With the startech adapter if I enable the option in the cerbios.ini file for DVD & HDD I get error 13 no mater which UDMA bios I flash and can't even boot into safe mode.  So, doing this requires me to remove the drive and connect it to my pc to edit the ini file back to HDD & No DVD.  Once I do this I can boot with up to UDMA mode 5 enabled.  I was using old laptop sata drives until today when I got an SSD with the startech adapter but it still does the same thing.  It also doesn't matter which position I move the jumper to on the adapter.  Master and Cable select both do the same thing in all 3 Xboxes.   Any ideas?

Is the DVD drive a Philips?

I have had issues with cerbios and Philips DVD drives when using cerbios but it works with a Thompson drive, also check you have not set the DVD to modern mode in in the cerbios.ini and the adaptor is set to master.

; Drive Setup 
0 = HDD & DVD,  1 = HDD & No DVD (Legacy Mode), 2 = HDD & No DVD (Modern Mode), 3 = Dual HDD 

DriveSetup = 1

Also in Legacy Mode the DVD disk will only load from power on.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Is the DVD drive a Philips?

I have had issues with cerbios and Philips DVD drives when using cerbios but it works with a Thompson drive, also check you have not set the DVD to modern mode in in the cerbios.ini and the adaptor is set to master.

; Drive Setup 
0 = HDD & DVD,  1 = HDD & No DVD (Legacy Mode), 2 = HDD & No DVD (Modern Mode), 3 = Dual HDD 

DriveSetup = 1

Also in Legacy Mode the DVD disk will only load from power on.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Option 0 and option 1 both give me error 13.  Option 2 is the only one that allows me to boot with the DVD rom connected when I'm using the Sata adapter.  If I pull the power connector I'm able to boot again with option 1.  Tried with both a Samsung and Thomson drive and both do the same thing and it doesn't matter which UDMA mode bios I use, they all do the same thing.  If I put the stock drive back in, the DVD drive works like it should.

Edited by Fringle
Added further text

15 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Option 0 and option 1 both give me error 13.  Option 2 is the only one that allows me to boot with the DVD rom connected when I'm using the Sata adapter.  If I pull the power connector I'm able to boot again with option 1.  Tried with both a Samsung and Thomson drive and both do the same thing and it doesn't matter which UDMA mode bios I use, they all do the same thing.  If I put the stock drive back in, the DVD drive works like it should.

What brand/type of sata adaptor are you using

Cheers

SS Dave

2 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

What brand/type of sata adaptor are you using

Cheers

SS Dave

I was using a cheap one until today when I got the Startech brand adapter.  This one allows me to go to UDMA mode 5 where the cheap one wouldn't go above 2.

This is the one I'm using now:  https://www.startech.com/en-ca/hdd/ide2sat2

This is the one I was using up until today:  https://www.amazon.ca/SinLoon-Female-Adapter-Computer-Interface/dp/B07TPBC34F

27 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

And what are your results now, with an 80 wire IDE and a real Startech adapter? 

Aside from a higher UDMA mode it's exactly the same with regards to no DVD rom access unless I put the stock hdd back in.

EDIT:  I've ruled out Cerbios as being the problem by flashing IND Bios and it behaves the exact same way, giving me error 13 with the DVD rom connected.  I'm beginning to think my 80 wire ide cable may be at fault.  I've got another one ordered but it may not be here for a couple of weeks.  Hopefully it sorts this out.

Edited by Fringle

Which setting are you using on the IDE-to-SATA adapter: Cable Select or Master?

To connect an 80-wire 40-pin cable to the motherboard, DVD and hard drive of an Xbox, you normally install the cable end-over-end - Host adapter connector connects to the hard drive, the DVD drive still connects to the center connector as the Slave device and Master connector to the host adapter on the motherboard. 

When doing so, Cable Select is not an option. It will not work.  You must set the hard drive adapter's device selector jumper to MASTER.

14 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which setting are you using on the IDE-to-SATA adapter: Cable Select or Master?

To connect an 80-wire 40-pin cable to the motherboard, DVD and hard drive of an Xbox, you normally install the cable end-over-end - Host adapter connector connects to the hard drive, the DVD drive still connects to the center connector as the Slave device and Master connector to the host adapter on the motherboard. 

When doing so, Cable Select is not an option. It will not work.  You must set the hard drive adapter's device selector jumper to MASTER.

I've tried it with both master and cable select.  Each jumper setting returns the same results.  I really think it's the cable, even though it's brand new.  Even in UDMA mode 2 with the 40 wire cable the dvd drive will only work with the original cable and hdd.  After more testing even when I connect the original hdd with the 80 wire cable it fails to boot.

Edited by Fringle

32 minutes ago, Fringle said:

I've tried it with both master and cable select.  Each jumper setting returns the same results.  I really think it's the cable, even though it's brand new.  Even in UDMA mode 2 with the 40 wire cable the dvd drive will only work with the original cable and hdd.  After more testing even when I connect the original hdd with the 80 wire cable it fails to boot.

I've had problems just like this lately. Maybe Cerbios developed a bug recently... Very frustrating. My old startech is on CS. I have to put the new one on master now. Couldn't even see a blank drive without formatting with fatxplorer...

1 minute ago, KaosEngineer said:

bad cable!  What color is the ribbon cable insulation?  People have had problems with ones with yellow insulation.

Try safe mode with a 40 wire to test for the cable... 

I know that I bought the same cable for my x3 box as I did for this current one and it still has these problems... X3 works perfect and new setup has a lot of issues to dodge...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

bad cable!  What color is the ribbon cable insulation?  People have had problems with ones with yellow insulation.

It is indeed a yellow insulated cable.  I did manage to get it to boot with a stock hdd and option 0 in the ini but it was quite slow and the dvd drive still didn't function.  It shows empty/open/busy as status and the icon changes to show that there is a dvd in the drive but the status never changes from busy.  I know with the cheap adapter and the 40 wire cable it didn't work in either mode but didn't check with the new one.  Will give it a go later and see what happens.

14 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Try safe mode with a 40 wire to test for the cable... 

I know that I bought the same cable for my x3 box as I did for this current one and it still has these problems... X3 works perfect and new setup has a lot of issues to dodge...

With the startech adapter safe mode won't even boot with the 40 wire cable with any hdd I attach.  Keeps giving me error 13.  With my cheap adapter safe mode boots but with no dvd rom access.  If I attach an original hdd, dvd drive works.  The only difference I can think of is the way I'm building the hdd in FatXplorer.  With all of my drives aside from the original I'm choosing the Cerbios option.  With the original hdd I'm choosing No LBA increasing /LBA28/Retail option.

1 hour ago, Fringle said:

With the startech adapter safe mode won't even boot with the 40 wire cable with any hdd I attach.  Keeps giving me error 13.  With my cheap adapter safe mode boots but with no dvd rom access.  If I attach an original hdd, dvd drive works.  The only difference I can think of is the way I'm building the hdd in FatXplorer.  With all of my drives aside from the original I'm choosing the Cerbios option.  With the original hdd I'm choosing No LBA increasing /LBA28/Retail option.

I meant the Cerbios safe mode putting it in UDMA 2 with the stock 40 wire ide cable. It should theoretically work normally, confirming that the 80 wire cable either is or is not the problem. I couldn't load a BFM unless the drive was preformatted in the way you just mentioned.

21 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I meant the Cerbios safe mode putting it in UDMA 2 with the stock 40 wire ide cable. It should theoretically work normally, confirming that the 80 wire cable either is or is not the problem. I couldn't load a BFM unless the drive was preformatted in the way you just mentioned.

Yeah that's what I did.  Error 13 with 40 wire cable when booting safe mode with startech.  Even flashed the UDMA mode 2 version of the bios to see if it was a glitch but error 13 with any drive attached to the startech adapter with the 40 wire cable booting either safe mode or normal mode.  I'm guessing the startech adapter doesn't like the 40 wire cable because it does boot with the cheap adapter.

20 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Yeah that's what I did.  Error 13 with 40 wire cable when booting safe mode with startech.  Even flashed the UDMA mode 2 version of the bios to see if it was a glitch but error 13 with any drive attached to the startech adapter with the 40 wire cable booting either safe mode or normal mode.  I'm guessing the startech adapter doesn't like the 40 wire cable because it does boot with the cheap adapter.

Okay. Then I would eliminate the cable if it's behaving the same way with the stock ide. With UDMA 2, there should be no issue with the 40 wire. What kind of HDD is it? Is your DVD ROM drive behaving normally? It's one of the two. Very unlikely to be the startech, although it is possible.

Although, saying that it does boot with the cheap adapter makes me wonder... I couldn't get a cheap HDD to work at all.

13 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay. Then I would eliminate the cable if it's behaving the same way with the stock ide. With UDMA 2, there should be no issue with the 40 wire. What kind of HDD is it? Is your DVD ROM drive behaving normally? It's one of the two. Very unlikely to be the startech, although it is possible.

Although, saying that it does boot with the cheap adapter makes me wonder... I couldn't get a cheap HDD to work at all.

One drive is a brand new SSD that I got yesterday.  The others are all old notebook sata hdd's that I've pulled from various consoles over the years.  They all seem to work with the startech and the cheap adapter aside from no dvd access with either adapter.  The cheap adapter also doesn't like to boot with any bios above UDMA mode 2 no matter which hdd/ssd is attached.  The original hdd is an 8gb WD.  Just have to wait for a new 80 wire cable to arrive before I completely write off the cable to see if there is any difference. 

I'm curious though that if I remove the dvd rom and put the startech adapter on the middle connector of the ide cable if it should work with no other device connected.  I haven't tried that yet to rule out that particular connector.

6 minutes ago, Fringle said:

One drive is a brand new SSD that I got yesterday.  The others are all old notebook sata hdd's that I've pulled from various consoles over the years.  They all seem to work with the startech and the cheap adapter aside from no dvd access with either adapter.  The cheap adapter also doesn't like to boot with any bios above UDMA mode 2 no matter which hdd/ssd is attached.  The original hdd is an 8gb WD.  Just have to wait for a new 80 wire cable to arrive before I completely write off the cable to see if there is any difference. 

I'm curious though that if I remove the dvd rom and put the startech adapter on the middle connector of the ide cable if it should work with no other device connected.  I haven't tried that yet to rule out that particular connector.

That would rule out a breakage between the middle and the end, but not the middle and the base, although I imagine the base ide connector hardly ever has breakages...

Just for shits and giggles, format a sata drive with Cerbios config with fatxplorer, then use it with the adapter on master. I wanna see something...

7 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That would rule out a breakage between the middle and the end, but not the middle and the base, although I imagine the base ide connector hardly ever has breakages...

Just for shits and giggles, format a sata drive with Cerbios config with fatxplorer, then use it with the adapter on master. I wanna see something...

Well I just put the startech on the middle connector.  Set as master I get error 13, set to cable select it just doesn't boot.    Moving the adapter back to the end connector, it boots with out an issue.  I'm almost positive now that it's the middle connector of the cable.

My SSD is formatted with Cerbios and set as master at the moment.  Boots just fine with both set as Master and Cable Select.

EDIT: Middle connector with 40 wire cable and cheap adapter works just fine.

Edited by Fringle

Well I just put the startech on the middle connector.  Set as master I get error 13, set to cable select it just doesn't boot.    Moving the adapter back to the end connector, it boots with out an issue.  I'm almost positive now that it's the middle connector of the cable.

My SSD is formatted with Cerbios and set as master at the moment.  Boots just fine with both set as Master and Cable Select.

EDIT: Middle connector with 40 wire cable and cheap adapter works just fine.

Very interesting. When you say no issue and works just fine in this post, you're saying that the configuration works?

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Very interesting. When you say no issue and works just fine in this post, you're saying that the configuration works?

I'm saying that if I put a cerbios formatted hdd on the middle connector of the 40 wire cable with nothing connected to the end connector using the cheap adapter it boots and functions normally.  If I do the same on the 80 wire cable with the startech adapter I get error 13 and a message about the UDMA mode being set incorrectly.  If I move the startech to the end connector, it boots and functions normally.  This essentially tells me the 80 wire cable is bad as it should boot on the middle connector with nothing on the end just as it does with the 40 wire cable and the cheap adapter.

I'm saying that if I put a cerbios formatted hdd on the middle connector of the 40 wire cable with nothing connected to the end connector using the cheap adapter it boots and functions normally.  If I do the same on the 80 wire cable with the startech adapter I get error 13 and a message about the UDMA mode being set incorrectly.  If I move the startech to the end connector, it boots and functions normally.  This essentially tells me the 80 wire cable is bad as it should boot on the middle connector with nothing on the end just as it does with the 40 wire cable and the cheap adapter.

I see your reasoning. Yeah... If you can buy a few ide cables. I use these and they even have reviews of people using them with their Xbox. I haven't had problems.

https://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-80-Wire-2-Drive-Ribbon-Manhattan/dp/B003IDF0JC/ref=asc_df_B003IDF0JC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=319019434242&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15495654490539966054&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031634&hvtargid=pla-653898648149&psc=1

13 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I would gladly have bought that cable but since I'm in Canada, Amazon wants to charge 38 dollars for it.  Not willing to submit to their price gouging for a cable I can get for 10 bucks elsewhere.  My best bet is to get a Startech 18" cable for 10 dollars from newegg and squeeze it in as best I can.