OGXbox.com

No DVD Rom access with startech sata adapter

Fringle

1 hour ago, Marty said:

IDE cables for less than $6

I've bought 3 of them.

... And now I suppose we'll wait two weeks. Lol. That's ali. At least you got three though.

I actually just solved my hard disk drive problems by making sure that I TSOP flashed the proper UDMA 6 Bios since instead of UDMA 2. That was my stupid mistake. I flashed with a UDMA-6 version which is overclocked and now I'm happy, although I would like to verify the overclock and Xbox media center isn't reporting it, which is stressing me out. I want to make sure it's overclocked...

But this is your thread not mine! :)

56 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

... And now I suppose we'll wait two weeks. Lol. That's ali. At least you got three though.

I actually just solved my hard disk drive problems by making sure that I TSOP flashed the proper UDMA 6 Bios since instead of UDMA 2. That was my stupid mistake. I flashed with a UDMA-6 version which is overclocked and now I'm happy, although I would like to verify the overclock and Xbox media center isn't reporting it, which is stressing me out. I want to make sure it's overclocked...

But this is your thread not mine! :)

It's all good.  I already had one of those cables ordered so hopefully only another week.  haha  I've actually been looking into overclocking but think I should split my tsop or order a cheap modchip before I go ahead and do it.  Don't really want to order a modchip since I like to spend as little as I possible on these things but if I have to, I will at some point.  Been thinking about just ditching the dvd rom in one of the 3 I have here and cutting it down to a slim so this cable may still be of use.  Also ordered 10 ram chips for the ram upgrade as I want to have a try at that too. 

18 minutes ago, Fringle said:

It's all good.  I already had one of those cables ordered so hopefully only another week.  haha  I've actually been looking into overclocking but think I should split my tsop or order a cheap modchip before I go ahead and do it.  Don't really want to order a modchip since I like to spend as little as I possible on these things but if I have to, I will at some point.  Been thinking about just ditching the dvd rom in one of the 3 I have here and cutting it down to a slim so this cable may still be of use.  Also ordered 10 ram chips for the ram upgrade as I want to have a try at that too. 

I have an overclocked UDMA-6 Cerbios file that I can send you. It's 777mhz and the GPU is 285. It works with everything I've used with it.

17 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I have an overclocked UDMA-6 Cerbios file that I can send you. It's 777mhz and the GPU is 285. It works with everything I've used with it.

No worries, I've got the overclock tool and already created one.  Just holding off on flashing it until I have a way to recover.  I internally soldered in a wii2hdmi that makes it hard to remove the board should I need to, to install a modchip in the main Xbox that I use.  I used expoxy to hold it in place since hot clue wasn't working very well and just put it on top of the avport.  The video quality actually isn't that bad and is better than cheap component cables.  Might try it on one of the others Xboxes I have though. 

12 minutes ago, Fringle said:

No worries, I've got the overclock tool and already created one.  Just holding off on flashing it until I have a way to recover.  I internally soldered in a wii2hdmi that makes it hard to remove the board should I need to, to install a modchip in the main Xbox that I use.  I used expoxy to hold it in place since hot clue wasn't working very well and just put it on top of the avport.  The video quality actually isn't that bad and is better than cheap component cables.  Might try it on one of the others Xboxes I have though. 

Im not seeing the overclock in XBMC, which is making me wonder if I did something wrong with xboverclock...

10 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Im not seeing the overclock in XBMC, which is making me wonder if I did something wrong with xboverclock...

Just flashed my other 1.0 with an oc bios and it's not showing either.  Still reports stock speed so not sure if it worked myself.  Wonder if there is another application that shows it.

31 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Just flashed my other 1.0 with an oc bios and it's not showing either.  Still reports stock speed so not sure if it worked myself.  Wonder if there is another application that shows it.

I'm gonna redo it in about ten minutes and create another file with xboverclock and flash that and try it out. I WILL get to the bottom of this tonight! :) so stay tuned.

14 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I'm gonna redo it in about ten minutes and create another file with xboverclock and flash that and try it out. I WILL get to the bottom of this tonight! :) so stay tuned.

I've create two now and both got the same results with Cerbios UDMA 2.  May try another version bios though and see if that works.   Set the gpu to 290 and the cpu to 800 and it still boots so that's at least good.  Would be nice if there was another way to tell.  Does the N64 maybe have an onscreen frame rate that one could check and see if it increases with the overclocked bios?

23 minutes ago, Fringle said:

I've create two now and both got the same results with Cerbios UDMA 2.  May try another version bios though and see if that works.   Set the gpu to 290 and the cpu to 800 and it still boots so that's at least good.  Would be nice if there was another way to tell.  Does the N64 maybe have an onscreen frame rate that one could check and see if it increases with the overclocked bios?

I just did 2. 777mhz and 800mhz. Let me try...

36 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Okay. Well I flashed at 800mhz. The only thing that tells me that the bios is overclocked is that the boot animation is no longer skipping frames like it was before... Linux and XBMC report stock clock. I'm stumped.

6 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay. Well I flashed at 800mhz. The only thing that tells me that the bios is overclocked is that the boot animation is no longer skipping frames like it was before... Linux and XBMC report stock clock. I'm stumped.

I never experienced the boot animation skipping and all games seem to be good.  I did how ever just watch a video and it shows that the ide cables for the xbox have the dvd rom connector on backwards and a buddy switched it around.  I'm actually going to give this a shot and see if it fixes the dvd drive not working with this cable.

51 minutes ago, Fringle said:

I never experienced the boot animation skipping and all games seem to be good.  I did how ever just watch a video and it shows that the ide cables for the xbox have the dvd rom connector on backwards and a buddy switched it around.  I'm actually going to give this a shot and see if it fixes the dvd drive not working with this cable.

WOW.
Okay, results with 720p IDE console. 

XBMC now reports clock at 800MHZ. The cerbios animation usually is frame skipping at 720p hard and a little at 480. With this overclock, the boot animation is smooth as butter.

Halo CE, using the 720p hacked .xbe, used to skip and stutter so much it was almost unplayable. It is now almost a consistent 30FPS and is now fully playable.

I've attached both UDMA 2 for IDE, and UDMA 6, for SATA/Startech. I have to use drive because the forum wont allow me to post attachments anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nLiqlvBRVl7fswEW3BT8dDYE_SpHH87B/view?usp=drive_link, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yV6m9uz8y13HJHF9dTj6Ztzv6P07SGKx/view?usp=drive_link, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7hiaW4mZnE2pRo0JfYtN6DKiIMsmiNH/view?usp=drive_link,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-3UEP60r1hdCLrhhoZipmFYJcG-LG6Z/view?usp=drive_link

The UDMA version is indicated between the word "Cerbios" and the 777 or 800 which is clock speed. The GPU is pushed to 285MHZ from 233. Sorry I couldn't post them here.

Try "cerbios6800mhz.bin dude. :) Then see what XBMC says. Guarantee you'll see the improvement in the boot animation with the swirly purple things.

I can't wait to put a 1ghz CPU on this thing...Overclock it to at least 1.1!

Disclaimer: Reports suggest that 800mhz is a reliable overclock speed, I am currently testing with other consoles to be sure of that.

14 minutes ago, Fringle said:

So it only reports the correct cpu speed with an IDE HDD attached?  Attempting to swap the connector was a terrible idea and there's no way they will take this cable back as defective now.  Oh well, at least the console still boots with one drive attached.

? What did you do to the cable? What happened? 

I tried this same bios with the original console and the OC doesn't seem to be working even with my sata. I will try it with IDE, although I don't know how it would matter. The overclock works on my x3 box with SATA so I don't think that's what it is... I never meant to suggest that ide should be used to get the overclock. I apologize if I did so. Let me try it with other consoles here.

23 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

WOW.
Okay, results with 720p IDE console. 

XBMC now reports clock at 800MHZ. The cerbios animation usually is frame skipping at 720p hard and a little at 480. With this overclock, the boot animation is smooth as butter.

Halo CE, using the 720p hacked .xbe, used to skip and stutter so much it was almost unplayable. It is now almost a consistent 30FPS and is now fully playable.

I've attached both UDMA 2 for IDE, and UDMA 6, for SATA/Startech. I have to use drive because the forum wont allow me to post attachments anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nLiqlvBRVl7fswEW3BT8dDYE_SpHH87B/view?usp=drive_link, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yV6m9uz8y13HJHF9dTj6Ztzv6P07SGKx/view?usp=drive_link, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7hiaW4mZnE2pRo0JfYtN6DKiIMsmiNH/view?usp=drive_link,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-3UEP60r1hdCLrhhoZipmFYJcG-LG6Z/view?usp=drive_link

The UDMA version is indicated between the word "Cerbios" and the 777 or 800 which is clock speed. Sorry I couldn't post them here.

Try "cerbios6800mhz.bin dude. :) Then see what XBMC says. Guarantee you'll see the improvement in the boot animation with the swirly purple things.

Well I would but it seems that the xbox I was flashing is now dead. haha  Does the 3 attempts to boot then frag.  Not sure if it was the flashing of the bios or just a coincidence.  I did unplug it for a bit to use my other one and when I plugged it back in, it's toast.  Gonna try another power supply and see what happens. This is why I didn't want to do it on my main one.

9 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Well I would but it seems that the xbox I was flashing is now dead. haha  Does the 3 attempts to boot then frag.  Not sure if it was the flashing of the bios or just a coincidence.  I did unplug it for a bit to use my other one and when I plugged it back in, it's toast.  Gonna try another power supply and see what happens. This is why I didn't want to do it on my main one.

Oh CHRIST!!!! What on earth... An overclock that is not working shouldn't cause a frag. It would just be a lockup... Which means I should have recommended the 777... But still a frag? That's not why unstable overclocks do. They just lock up... What happened to your console between then and now?

A power supply won't cause a frag...

Nah, it wasn't from the file you uploaded.  I created my own and flashed that before you even posted yours.  Was playing some far cry instincts to see if I could tell if it was overclocked, shut it off for about 20min and when I plugged it back in that's when it was toast.  So it's possible my overclock was working and has damaged something.  It's ok, these 3 Xboxes were given to me already broken. 

1 minute ago, Fringle said:

Nah, it wasn't from the file you uploaded.  I created my own and flashed that before you even posted yours.  Was playing some far cry instincts to see if I could tell if it was overclocked, shut it off for about 20min and when I plugged it back in that's when it was toast.  So it's possible my overclock was working and has damaged something.  It's ok, these 3 Xboxes were given to me already broken. 

Hmmm. Gonna push this one and see if I can break it.

16930235346722422683075150853828.jpg

Good luck.  They don't seem that hard to kill.  I only played it for about 30 min before shutting it down and unplugging it.  I do have another dead board here I could start pulling parts off.  If it's the MCPX though I'm not sure if I have the skill to replace that but will give it a shot if need be.

I've seen report of success at 875MHZ, but there's no way every xbox will do that. The ram locks up. One guy even locked up at 140, but that's extreme. I've never locked up with anything I've pushed to 778MHZ. and I DO have experience with that. I have confirmed that overclocks will not cause a frag, just a lockup. Hopefully nothing got fried. I feel responsible for this since I encouraged it and now I want to make it right. No idea if that's a rational thought, but it's how I feel. I'm trying to push my 800MHZ box with some graphics and then check temperatures. I am also overclocking a different bios to see if it makes a difference.

The last 20 minutes pushed my CPU to 137F. I don't think that's very high... I don't think temperature fried your xbox, man... and you would probably have locked up at some point before you tried to restart. That should happen well before you fry anything from an OC.

4 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I've seen report of success at 875MHZ, but there's no way every xbox will do that. The ram locks up. One guy even locked up at 140, but that's extreme. I've never locked up with anything I've pushed to 778MHZ. and I DO have experience with that. I have confirmed that overclocks will not cause a frag, just a lockup. Hopefully nothing got fried. I feel responsible for this since I encouraged it and now I want to make it right. No idea if that's a rational thought, but it's how I feel. I'm trying to push my 800MHZ box with some graphics and then check temperatures. I am also overclocking a different bios to see if it makes a difference.

The last 20 minutes pushed my CPU to 137F. I don't think that's very high... I don't think temperature fried your xbox, man... and you would probably have locked up at some point before you tried to restart. That should happen well before you fry anything from an OC.

Don't worry about it, I'm not.  It's not your fault.  That particular Xbox was already tsopd when I got it and was showing other signs of failure after I fixed the hard drive errors.  Just random pauses for no reason..  I don't think it was heat either, I checked the temp before I shut it down and it was only 55C which is 132F.  I really think it was only a matter of time before that one kicked the bucket.  The other 1.1 board I have here I took the ram off since it needed new caps and didn't feel like replacing them but ended up breaking one of the pins and I couldn't use it for the ram upgrade so, I may pull the ram off this one and put the ram back on that one and salvage this ones caps since they are still good.  If nothing else I get to improve my soldering and fix it or get to see how much I need to improve before attempting a ram upgrade on a working machine.  

7 hours ago, Fringle said:

Don't worry about it, I'm not.  It's not your fault.  That particular Xbox was already tsopd when I got it and was showing other signs of failure after I fixed the hard drive errors.  Just random pauses for no reason..  I don't think it was heat either, I checked the temp before I shut it down and it was only 55C which is 132F.  I really think it was only a matter of time before that one kicked the bucket.  The other 1.1 board I have here I took the ram off since it needed new caps and didn't feel like replacing them but ended up breaking one of the pins and I couldn't use it for the ram upgrade so, I may pull the ram off this one and put the ram back on that one and salvage this ones caps since they are still good.  If nothing else I get to improve my soldering and fix it or get to see how much I need to improve before attempting a ram upgrade on a working machine.  

There's looking at the positive! :) Good man.

I just tried an xboverclock modified evox bios and it isn't working there either. I don't know what the HELL the problem is. I'm truly stumped...

Meanwhile, my main 720p box is fuckin flying right now at 800MHZ... I wanna push it higher. lol. But I don't wanna fly too close to the sun. It'll only lock up and I can reflash but, still...

I might do it...