OGXbox.com

No DVD Rom access with startech sata adapter

Fringle

44 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Hahaha, no worries.  I was into the Xbox quite a bit from 2004-2007.  I like to learn the hard way so to speak to get myself out of jams.  The first Xbox I had was a 1.6 that I soft modded and wiped the C partition not knowing what the hell I was doing.  Learned the how to recover from that with xboxhdm and a backup I forgot I made since I had no exploitable games. 

I may order some switches for the tsop before I do anymore overclocking just so it's easier to recover should that happen again.  It also seems to have corrupted my xbmc dashboard on one of my drives since it now throws an error 21 when I attempt to boot that drive.  Must have just been pushing this little beast too much.

I think we would become fast friends. I also like pushing myself into learning things the hard way :) 

Yeah, something bad happened, from the evidence you've presented. I started in 2004 also. Replying in the Xecuter forum before I even had an Xbox Or an Xecuter 3 to install. Learned a lot very quickly and was actually able to help people with no first hand experience. By the time I got both for Christmas, I was well prepared and installed it and a control panel at the same time. I already knew what to do and needed no tutorial!... Other than referencing the guide for a 1.6 LPC rebuild because I ended up with a 1.6. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I think we would become fast friends. I also like pushing myself into learning things the hard way :) 

Yeah, something bad happened, from the evidence you've presented. I started in 2004 also. Replying in the Xecuter forum before I even had an Xbox Or an Xecuter 3 to install. Learned a lot very quickly and was actually able to help people with no first hand experience. By the time I got both for Christmas, I was well prepared and installed it and a control panel at the same time. I already knew what to do and needed no tutorial!... Other than referencing the guide for a 1.6 LPC rebuild because I ended up with a 1.6. Lol

I didn't install too many hard mods back in the day.  Did a few but at the time my soldering skills weren't all that good.  The first time I really touched an iron was to install a modchip for someone and while it worked I did a pretty terrible job.  I've come along way since then though.  It's possible that we may have crossed paths before then as I was also over on those forums as well as others. 

15 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Oh definitely get an original controller. It's worth it to use those flashing utilities. I have no idea why they don't work the same. Theoretically they should. But I would invest in one. It'll make your life easier @Fringle

It's on the list.  I think it's because the 3rd party controllers don't share the same device/vendor id as the branded controllers and the way the driver is coded.  I'm sure it could be implemented but I don't even have an adapter to hook the controller up to my pc to get the id's.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, Fringle said:

I didn't install too many hard mods back in the day.  Did a few but at the time my soldering skills weren't all that good.  The first time I really touched an iron was to install a modchip for someone and while it worked I did a pretty terrible job.  I've come along way since then though.  It's possible that we may have crossed paths before then as I was also over on those forums as well as others. 

It's on the list.  I think it's because the 3rd party controllers don't share the same device/vendor id as the branded controllers and the way the driver is coded.  I'm sure it could be implemented but I don't even have an adapter to hook the controller up to my pc to get the id's.

Just wire it up to a male USB port. :) Just patch it into the main cable so you can use both tips.

49 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Just wire it up to a male USB port. :) Just patch it in to theain cable so you can use both tips.

Didn't even think of that even though I did cut off a female end and stuck it in the 1.1 to see if one of my usb keyboards would work for Xblast but didn't have any luck.  But rather then cut apart my controller cable I just took one of the controller ports I pulled from that system and spliced a male USB A port on to it.  The VID and PID are both FFFF.  Now to figure out how to add that to Xblast if the source is available. haha

Edit:  I actually found it and the VID/PID are already in there but the controller doesn't seem to work with it.

image.png.3ca4f4c7b8c51c88b89a87aa0fc2bb28.png

Edited by Fringle

1 hour ago, Fringle said:

Didn't even think of that even though I did cut off a female end and stuck it in the 1.1 to see if one of my usb keyboards would work for Xblast but didn't have any luck.  But rather then cut apart my controller cable I just took one of the controller ports I pulled from that system and spliced a male USB A port on to it.  The VID and PID are both FFFF.  Now to figure out how to add that to Xblast if the source is available. haha

Edit:  I actually found it and the VID/PID are already in there but the controller doesn't seem to work with it.

image.png.3ca4f4c7b8c51c88b89a87aa0fc2bb28.png

You should install the driver.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kRAZiI476EufdGNa6iNtOMWDGDyvQDq/view?usp=drivesdk

See if it shows up differently just in case. But that is interesting that it's already there.

You should install the driver.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kRAZiI476EufdGNa6iNtOMWDGDyvQDq/view?usp=drivesdk

See if it shows up differently just in case. But that is interesting that it's already there.

I did and it's still the same.  Oh well.  At least I have another way to flash the Sharp.  Just annoying that I have to burn a new disc every time.  I'll call it a safety feature as it will make me question if I really want to flash it. haha

5 hours ago, Fringle said:

I did and it's still the same.  Oh well.  At least I have another way to flash the Sharp.  Just annoying that I have to burn a new disc every time.  I'll call it a safety feature as it will make me question if I really want to flash it. haha

Burn a new disc?

You know it's odd. Unless I flash allowable overclock settings to a console, it won't boot. and they're all different. But once they boot, the overclock doesn't actually kick in. It just stays at stock clock speeds. Only for my 720p box do overclocks work and show in XBMC no others do. Except overclocking my x3 bios on my x3 box. That works, but overclocking Cerbios on the same machine doesn't. Weird. I have no idea what to do...

The OC .xbe thats out there wont even load up...

9 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Burn a new disc?

You know it's odd. Unless I flash allowable overclock settings to a console, it won't boot. and they're all different. But once they boot, the overclock doesn't actually kick in. It just stays at stock clock speeds. Only for my 720p box do overclocks work and show in XBMC no others do. Except overclocking my x3 bios on my x3 box. That works, but overclocking Cerbios on the same machine doesn't. Weird. I have no idea what to do...

The OC .xbe thats out there wont even load up...

Yep, this is the only method of flashing the Sharp that works for me, and requires burning the bios to a second disc: 

As for the overclock, I'm not sure why it's not working.  It's most like to do with the software and the specific coding of the bios.

5 hours ago, Fringle said:

Yep, this is the only method of flashing the Sharp that works for me, and requires burning the bios to a second disc: 

As for the overclock, I'm not sure why it's not working.  It's most like to do with the software and the specific coding of the bios.

It's killing my 720p DVD drive. It won't really open now. I'm pissed. Lol. Yeah I heard sharp is kind of a pain to deal with

Just wanted to iterate that I am REALLY glad you recovered your flash. Overclocking my 720 console caused my DVD-ROM drive to not eject more than an inch, and then not recognize when it's being pushed in, thereby taking over and closing itself the rest of the way. I have no idea how overclocking would cause that, but it happened at the same time, so I'm assuming that's what it was. @Fringle

How does overclocking cause damage like this to xboxes? It's fucking ridiculous. It should never cause anything more than a lockup if it's not overheating. @SS_Dave @KaosEngineer @Dtomcat18.

26 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Just wanted to iterate that I am REALLY glad you recovered your flash. Overclocking my 720 console caused my DVD-ROM drive to not eject more than an inch, and then not recognize when it's being pushed in, thereby taking over and closing itself the rest of the way. I have no idea how overclocking would cause that, but it happened at the same time, so I'm assuming that's what it was. @Fringle

How does overclocking cause damage like this to xboxes? It's fucking ridiculous. It should never cause anything more than a lockup if it's not overheating. @SS_Dave @KaosEngineer @Dtomcat18.

I'd have to assume it's due to the overclocked bus speed and the fact that it's running out of spec causes data to be corrupted.  Did you try flashing back a non overclocked bios?  Maybe this would sort it out if it has to do with corruption within the bios itself.

On another note the seller I bought the IDE cable from has agreed to send me a replacement.  Hopefully it works to sort out the DVD problems with the startech adapter.

Edited by Fringle

16 minutes ago, Fringle said:

I'd have to assume it's due to the overclocked bus speed and the fact that it's running out of spec causes data to be corrupted.  Did you try flashing back a non overclocked bios?  Maybe this would sort it out if it has to do with corruption within the bios itself.

Yeah, I tried that. It must have done something to the DVD-ROM drive hardware, since that's what performs the eject/close action of the drive once it receives the open/close signal. That's INSANE. How would my overclock cause damage up there?

Yeah, I tried that. It must have done something to the DVD-ROM drive hardware, since that's what performs the eject/close action of the drive once it receives the open/close signal. That's INSANE. How would my overclock cause damage up there?

It's doesn't make much sense that's for sure.  Maybe if you were attempting to update the firmware on the drive or something, unless it was also sending higher than normal current or voltages to compensate for a loss somewhere else along the bus lines.  Did you also try the drive in another Xbox to see if it behaves normally there?

2 hours ago, Fringle said:

It's doesn't make much sense that's for sure.  Maybe if you were attempting to update the firmware on the drive or something, unless it was also sending higher than normal current or voltages to compensate for a loss somewhere else along the bus lines.  Did you also try the drive in another Xbox to see if it behaves normally there?

No, not yet. I assumed the damage was the drive itself and not a bus controller, since the signal is sent successfully and the drive takes over the opening and closing once the signal is sent. It also detects when the tray is being pushed in and will retract itself if a sensor sees that it's being pushed in. That's something that drive will no longer do is react to the tray being pushed in. VERY fucking weird.

I'm gonna try a Thompson from my Nemesis console since it's gonna be eliminated anyway. Just hope it doesn't get fried in there...

38 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I have no clue.  Never overclocked. :)

I wish the BGA processors that can be used with the console were't so ridiculously expensive. I really don't want to have to try to use the N64Freak interposer because all I have is hot air and no way to really preheat the board. I've never done a BGA mod either, so I'm likely to fuck up my first interposer mod anyway... I feel like the straight BGA CPUs would e much easier to deal with. but GOD they're expensive!

Got the replacement cable today and the DVD drive once again functions like it should.  Ram should be here next week so should be fun and frustrating to have a go at that.  Grabbed 10 pieces just in case I get a few defective ones.

Dude, I have so much fucking RAM. I have like 40 chips. lol. I got paranoid that our nation would collapse from institution of a new world order so I hoarded RAM chips, of all things. LMAO. Just in case I got stuck in my house while hell broke loose. At LEAST I would be able to upgrade some RAM. 😛

I saw that the economy is about to collapse so I actually started collecting all kinds of things that I thought would be harder to acquire if I could only afford the necessities. Didn't wanna get stuck with no Xbox stuff. Ha! I have stuff like interposers and all the hard to find parts for it just in case Mouser went out of business. And Ebay became inaccessible.

What exactly was the Startech doing wrong, again? Making the DVD drive unusable?

Oh, I think after 2.2.0, Cerbios did something with the X-codes that is overriding the overclock values. I have to ask the developers. Although it isn't consistent because I can use 2.3.1 to overclock my 720 console, so what the fuck? lol.

Dude, I have so much fucking RAM. I have like 40 chips. lol. I got paranoid that our nation would collapse from institution of a new world order so I hoarded RAM chips, of all things. LMAO. Just in case I got stuck in my house while hell broke loose. At LEAST I would be able to upgrade some RAM. 😛

I saw that the economy is about to collapse so I actually started collecting all kinds of things that I thought would be harder to acquire if I could only afford the necessities. Didn't wanna get stuck with no Xbox stuff. Ha! I have stuff like interposers and all the hard to find parts for it just in case Mouser went out of business. And Ebay became inaccessible.

What exactly was the Startech doing wrong, again? Making the DVD drive unusable?

Oh, I think after 2.2.0, Cerbios did something with the X-codes that is overriding the overclock values. I have to ask the developers. Although it isn't consistent because I can use 2.3.1 to overclock my 720 console, so what the fuck? lol.

It all could still happen yet.  haha  Never know. 

When ever I enabled option 0 or 1 in the cerbios.ini file it would give me an error 13 if the DVD rom was connected to power.  I assume due to the bad data cable that it couldn't actually detect it thus returning the error.

Seems like the overclock was doing something though.  I mean it corrupted my tsop and seemed to do something to your DVD drive.  Seems strange that those would be side effects of overriding overclocking values and rather than just ignoring them it breaks the system.

It all could still happen yet.  haha  Never know. 

When ever I enabled option 0 or 1 in the cerbios.ini file it would give me an error 13 if the DVD rom was connected to power.  I assume due to the bad data cable that it couldn't actually detect it thus returning the error.

Seems like the overclock was doing something though.  I mean it corrupted my tsop and seemed to do something to your DVD drive.  Seems strange that those would be side effects of overriding overclocking values and rather than just ignoring them it breaks the system.

I mean, My system, only one, is overclocking to 827 MHz, but the DVD drive is no longer ejecting properly. Yeah, I have no idea what would be causing these issues just because of an overclock. I don't even know what the point of doing this is. If overclocking your system to a point that's worth a f*** would actually break things that have nothing to do with your CPU. That's really unfortunate. I'm glad you fixed your problems though and that they were fixable in the first place! :)