OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.0 , "Your Xbox requires service" with no error code

Galindrada

Good evening,

I'm trying to fix an xbox that I've bought online that states the "Your Xbox requires service" with no error code everytime I try to play a game. Weirdly there is one game that I'm able to play. A crappy demo CD with a few games, and I can only play the FIFA 2005!

The xbox was unopened when I bought it and I already managed to debrief a few things, the DVD player is fine, the IDE cables that connect the DVD to the motherboard also seem fine (tested the dvd power connector for continuity on each pin). Since I'm able to use the main dashboard I can also access the hard drive, it lets me erase save's , so it seems that the xbox is able to read and write on the HDD. 

At this moment I'm not sure what to explore further , nothing too weird on the motherboard too, all caps seem fine. PSU doesn't seem to have any trouble too.. Any ideas? I'm lingering towards something in between the PATA and the MCPX.. but it seems like a longshot.

Thanks in advance!

364535898_1513613946049521_9053733063227146380_n.jpg

364810981_278366811505544_421014868919198044_n.jpg

10 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I'd start with giving the laser lens a good cleaning and see if maybe that changes anything. 

Hi , thank you for the reply. The DVD is fine. I actually tried another working DVD from another console and got the same error. Also the original DVD (which is a Thomson) worked fine on another console.

Edited by Galindrada

@Galindradaplease post a picture of the error screen in its entirety. 

Edit: If you have some soldering skills, you could connect the TSOP points in preparation of a flash. Some of the 1.0 boards can throw errors without a code. I think the earlier versions just didn’t have that built in to them. This being said, it could be any number of things wrong with it and backing up your eeprom should be the top priority right now. 

Edited by MadMartigan

3 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

@Galindradaplease post a picture of the error screen in its entirety. 

Edit: If you have some soldering skills, you could connect the TSOP points in preparation of a flash. Some of the 1.0 boards can throw errors without a code. I think the earlier versions just didn’t have that built in to them. This being said, it could be any number of things wrong with it and backing up your eeprom should be the top priority right now. 

I really didn't even know that an codeless error screen was possible.

Thanks @MadMartigan,

I'll post a picture as soon as I'm back home. But is just a black screen with that message on the middle. 

I'm able to solder , been learning over the past few months. I'll take a look on your advice since I'm totally unaware of that procedure (or what TSOP actually means 😅 ).

Bolofsky I'll try to have a look on the settings too, the screen does flicker a bit before displaying the message. And the FIFA 2005 demo displays a weird texture on both sides of the screen, it looks like it is strechted somehow.

Thank you both

Hi Dave, weirdly it does have and error code when there is an issue.

The first time I've re-assembled the Xbox I forgot to connect the cable to the DVD , and it displayed the number + error message as soon as I turned the Xbox on.

I do think it is the 1.0 because it does have that fan over the heatsink.

The error only shows up when I try to play any game. Never payed much attention itself if there is any indication when the error comes up, but I do think it only flashes green.

Cheers

19 hours ago, Galindrada said:

The error only shows up when I try to play any game. Never payed much attention itself if there is any indication when the error comes up, but I do think it only flashes green.

Flashing green makes me think it's a DVD drive and the MB thinks the DVD tray is open.

If you have a spare DVD drive try that.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Dave , fortunately the DVD is fine. I tried another working DVD (Samsung) from another console and got the same error. Also the original DVD (which is a Thomson) worked fine on another Xbox console.

Bolofski, that might be an idea , do you think that the BIOS might be corrupted?

I still don't get why that FIFA 2005 demo plays perfectly fine. The console seems 100% capable of delivering everything, sound , video , etc.

Cheers

14 hours ago, Galindrada said:

Dave , fortunately the DVD is fine. I tried another working DVD (Samsung) from another console and got the same error. Also the original DVD (which is a Thomson) worked fine on another Xbox console.

Bolofski, that might be an idea , do you think that the BIOS might be corrupted?

I still don't get why that FIFA 2005 demo plays perfectly fine. The console seems 100% capable of delivering everything, sound , video , etc.

Cheers

It could be a hard drive that's failing.

If it was me I would drop in a modchip and build a new hard drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

8 hours ago, Galindrada said:

Any suggestion regarding which modchip to pick? As far as I can see only Aladdin os available to ship to where I am (Ali Express --> Portugal).

Thank you so much

? Fine, but unless you have a flasher, you will be unable to upgrade your bios. The aliexpress Aladdins have counterfeit flash chips and the CPLD cannot address them properly. So the Xbox cannot see them properly. As long as you're okay with whatever evox bios is on there, fine. But I would try to get an XBlast from one of the guys here, instead. They have a 1mb flash and can be read properly, and also have an onboard menu which you can use to flash your banks with. PLEASE do NOT buy a Chinese Aladdin as an end user. For the love of fuck. I'm begging you. It's not worth the headaches you will encounter almost immediately.

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

? Fine, but unless you have a flasher, you will be unable to upgrade your bios. The aliexpress Aladdins have counterfeit flash chips and the CPLD cannot address them properly. So the Xbox cannot see them properly. As long as you're okay with whatever evox bios is on there, fine. But I would try to get an XBlast from one of the guys here, instead. They have a 1mb flash and can be read properly, and also have an onboard menu which you can use to flash your banks with. PLEASE do NOT buy a Chinese Aladdin as an end user. For the love of fuck. I'm begging you. It's not worth the headaches you will encounter almost immediately.

I’ve gotten all of mine except for one from AliExpress. Was in a rush for that one and resorted to Amazon for double the price. Luckily it took two purchases to find the right seller. Only bought one from each to test the water. Then I ordered a batch from the link above and all were flashed just fine.