OGXbox.com

Generic SATA-to-IDE adapter with SSD

Marty

9 minutes ago, Marty said:

I have one of those working with a 160GB 2.5" SATA drive, they also seem to be hit or miss (I've had 4 out of 6 working). Have you tried reflowing the solder points first?

I would still recommend the JMicron 20330 version though.

If you gave me a link to the version you're mentioning I would appreciate it. I guess if they're only a few bucks, it would still work out to be cheaper. I want to flip consoles, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to make an actual profit. HDDs are expensive... 2tb ones are. I'm working on an Origins image with a better dash and some extras on there... Including good music!

1 minute ago, Marty said:

SSD's have never been cheaper. I just bought a 480GB SSD for just over $20. Amazon.

I know there are SSDs, and I appreciate you shedding a light on the pricing. But I need 2tb to sell them with the image I'm trying to set them up with. Also, Xboxes without the spinning HDD feel unbalanced to me and it's weird. Lol. I'm a bit of a purist in that regard and would like a regular HDD. Space for the price is also cheaper...

On 8/4/2023 at 10:56 PM, prtscn said:

startech is good, because it supports all ata speeds, so you can use original cable. cheap adapters are 100/133 speeds only, 80pin cable required.

You need also 80 wire cable with startech adapters. I had my xbox working with a 40 wire cable + startech on UDMA2. Until after a couple of days the XBOX slowly wouldn’t boot anymore. Swapped the original 40 wire for a 80 wire and presto it worked again.

btw those startechs are also not perfect, they support the speeds but quality control isn’t that great. First one I got was DOA. Replacement worked, but I read more people running into these issues with startechs.

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I know there are SSDs, and I appreciate you shedding a light on the pricing. But I need 2tb to sell them with the image I'm trying to set them up with. Also, Xboxes without the spinning HDD feel unbalanced to me and it's weird. Lol. I'm a bit of a purist in that regard and would like a regular HDD. Space for the price is also cheaper...

Don’t know about US prices, but here in NL 2TB SSD’s go for €72 vs €42 for HDD. If you’re getting them to sell I can imagine you don’t want to spend the extra 30 bucks. You probably can’t recover the investment. 

I got myself a PS3 phat last week, was cheap and had a lot of controllers which was the main reason I bought it. Idea was to see if it works, clean it, upgrade HDD and install CFW to sell of the console. Anyway nowadays ssd’s are cheaper then the 2.5 inch counterparts

31 minutes ago, coldasijs said:

Don’t know about US prices, but here in NL 2TB SSD’s go for €72 vs €42 for HDD. If you’re getting them to sell I can imagine you don’t want to spend the extra 30 bucks. You probably can’t recover the investment. 

I got myself a PS3 phat last week, was cheap and had a lot of controllers which was the main reason I bought it. Idea was to see if it works, clean it, upgrade HDD and install CFW to sell of the console. Anyway nowadays ssd’s are cheaper then the 2.5 inch counterparts

Do you mean to say that HDDs are cheaper nowadays? because all the SSDs we use are 2.5 inch. 😛

You can easily get 2-4TB Sata drives for $30-50 and even cheaper if you’re bargain savy. Saying they’re expensive and less cost efficient than an SSD is just silly. Of course you can find everything at higher price points, but that doesn’t mean they’re not available for much cheaper if you look around. 

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

You can easily get 2-4TB Sata drives for $30-50 and even cheaper if you’re bargain savy. Saying they’re expensive and less cost efficient than an SSD is just silly. Of course you can find everything at higher price points, but that doesn’t mean they’re not available for much cheaper if you look around. 

I only know to look on ebay and amazon for HDDs. Where would one find a bargain?

Heh. Marty liked Marty's post. I knew that would happen eventually. :)

i still have the M03C adapters i was talking about in this old post:

they work fine but there is a 40ish second delay from cerbios splash screen to xbmc4gamers loading up, so this is down to UDMA? they boot fine without dvd drive attached so whats the score? no way of sorting it in cerbios or anything?

Has anyone tried one of these? Plugs into the connector on the motherboard and run a sata cable instead of the 80 wire. Or the startech ide2sat25 is a similar adapter using a sata cable. I have the chenyang in one box, and a startech ide2sat25 coming in the mail for another box. Not sure if they would support udma6, but seem to do fine with udma5. That said, is there a good way to test? Or would it simply not boot if it wasn't compatable with a certain udma?

Amazon.com: chenyang IDE 100 133 PATA to Dual Serial SATA 7PIN Adapter Reversible Converter for Hard Disk Drive : Electronics

On 8/8/2023 at 11:11 AM, bolofski said:

i still have the M03C adapters i was talking about in this old post:

they work fine but there is a 40ish second delay from cerbios splash screen to xbmc4gamers loading up, so this is down to UDMA? they boot fine without dvd drive attached so whats the score? no way of sorting it in cerbios or anything?

... No way. Not the UDMA version. That's definitely a shitty controller chipset and I'm honestly surprised that Cerbios gives it that long to initialize.

On 8/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, demayod said:

Has anyone tried one of these? Plugs into the connector on the motherboard and run a sata cable instead of the 80 wire. Or the startech ide2sat25 is a similar adapter using a sata cable. I have the chenyang in one box, and a startech ide2sat25 coming in the mail for another box. Not sure if they would support udma6, but seem to do fine with udma5. That said, is there a good way to test? Or would it simply not boot if it wasn't compatable with a certain udma?

Amazon.com: chenyang IDE 100 133 PATA to Dual Serial SATA 7PIN Adapter Reversible Converter for Hard Disk Drive : Electronics

You'll get HDD errors if the UDMA mode isn't supported. Usually cheapest can handle UDMA 5 and definitely 4. Although I've heard that with some, the optical drive needs to be taken off the bus to support 5. Cerbios will give a text splash screen error if the UDMA mode you selected is not working. 

Only way to test is to just flash the bios with your hardware config and see what happens :)

On 8/9/2023 at 3:57 AM, demayod said:

Nice option if you plan to use without DVD drive. You can route the SATA cable more cleanly this way.

Might be nice option for my 1.4ghz xbox. Not planning to run games from DVD anyway and it will get Stellar so no need for DVD to set it up.

24 minutes ago, coldasijs said:

Nice option if you plan to use without DVD drive. You can route the SATA cable more cleanly this way.

Might be nice option for my 1.4ghz xbox. Not planning to run games from DVD anyway and it will get Stellar so no need for DVD to set it up.

...SATA cable?

And props on the 1.4.

8 hours ago, coldasijs said:

Yes, you can put this one directly on the IDE port on the motherboard. From there route a SATA cable to the drive. You still need a SATA power cable and I guess the adapter also requires power as wel.

So with the board linked above, I’ve flashed cerbios at udma6 just to try it out. It works. Here I have it tapped into the dvd 5v, 12v, & GND. 

Did the same with the Startech IDE2SAT25 in another box. 

8B30C7E5-9337-4841-BBE9-E9792A7425D3.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, demayod said:

So with the board linked above, I’ve flashed cerbios at udma6 just to try it out. It works. Here I have it tapped into the dvd 5v, 12v, & GND. 

Had to make two posts to quote this one also.

This is VERY cool. Are you able to go into detail on how the bus was modded? This would cut down on bulk a LOT... IF you would like to eliminate the optical drive, of course. 

15 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Had to make two posts to quote this one also.

This is VERY cool. Are you able to go into detail on how the bus was modded? This would cut down on bulk a LOT... IF you would like to eliminate the optical drive, of course. 

I don’t have much info other than that I removed the pins from the “mini” molex connector on the board. Then hard wired the 12v/gnd and 5v/gnd from the dvd port. Can’t say it was my idea. I’ve seen it in a couple Reddit posts. The only reason I removed the connector on the board is that it would be tougher to close with the port sticking straight up as it does. 

The only thing is, every once in a while xbmc4gamers thinks there’s a disc in the drive. Doesn’t seem to cause any issue with actual gameplay at least in my experience. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 3:13 PM, demayod said:

I really love the reduction of clutter here. So much more potential for cleaning out the guts. Will definitely be doing one of these soon. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I really love the reduction of clutter here. So much more potential for cleaning out the guts. Will definitely be doing one of these soon. 

You could take it a step further (which I might), and wire the sata connector directly to the power supply getting rid of the molex completely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

That's what I'm saying. Fuck the IDE cable if it can be bypassed. Not to mention all the shit that has to sit behind the HDD.

3 hours ago, demayod said:

You could take it a step further (which I might), and wire the sata connector directly to the power supply getting rid of the molex completely. 

Good idea!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That's what I'm saying. Fuck the IDE cable if it can be bypassed.

Good idea!

The only issue with the board linked above is it would get in the way of the DVD drive (If you wanted one installed). Really no point, especially if you cannibalize the dvd power cable like I did. You can always get a DVD delete bracket that holds the DVD door in place. I'm waiting on an etsy order for those as I don't have a 3D printer. The other option would be a slim mod, which I love, but afraid to do.  The startech IDE2SAT25 board wouldn't get in the way of any of it. (Not to be confused with the popular red startech board).