OGXbox.com

SmartXX V2 Modchip and big Hdds (2TB drive)

Estrichleger

12 minutes ago, Estrichleger said:

Well the 2TB SATA I bought was new. The 500gb IDE is used and now I get a 2TB wd green which is used for around 5000 hours.

A 250 GB SATA SSD wont work either.

Im skeptical of your SATA adapter... I've heard of issues with SSDs but not very many HDDs unless they're fried. If this one doesn't work, something else is obviously wrong. Maybe take out your SATA adapter and post pics of both sides of it so we can take a look?

You got a green? People recommend against that, I believe due to power saving features. Blues are recommended all the time. 

But evidently I have a fuckin Green and it's worked for me with no firmware modification. So maybe you'll be fine. Lmao.

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I know the WD greens are fucked due to dumbass green head parking

Just run WDidle 3 and that disables the power save then you basically have a WD blue

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Estrichleger said:

WDIdle is not compatible with WIn10. It wont open it just getting me the That app cannot run on your pc message.

You need to make a bootable CD/DVD/USB and it will run from a disk in DOS mode.

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/17072

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Estrichleger said:

Here are the pics

ideside.jpg

Sataside.jpg

The green one will come today or tomorrow.

Know I think the StarTech is the culprit. I connect it via an USB IDE Adapter to my PC and here nothing happens there. Maybe the StarTech is at fault.

Yeah test around it just like you're doing. Maybe try getting at least a cheap sata adapter just to see if it'll work with UDMA 2... But, you know, that work at all in the first place instead of binding up your IDE bus Iike what seems to be happening. I think you said you tried the drive with a PC. Didn't you? Didn't you say you loaded it up with installer data that way?

Did the green show up today?

On 6/21/2023 at 8:24 AM, Estrichleger said:

Well everything came today and I have to say that the HDD is not recognized even with the StarTech set to cable select and a 80 Pin cable. Funny thing is when I try to boot from the old HDD I'll get also error07 now. This wasn't the case with the old ide cable.

CS/Cable Select will not work.  The IDE HDD or IDE-to-SATA adapter must be set to MASTER.  The Cable Select feature of a standard high-speed IDE cable is defeated since you have to flip it end-over-end to install it in the Xbox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

CS/Cable Select will not work.  The IDE HDD or IDE-to-SATA adapter must be set to MASTER.  The Cable Select feature of a standard high-speed IDE cable is defeated since you have to flip it end-over-end to install it in the Xbox.

I believe I made a post about this. I don't know where it went...

If this is true, which it seems to be @Estrichleger, then I apologize for not knowing something which I really should have by now. I feel like I led you a bit astray there, and I apologize. I hope this solution works for you and if it does, then I learned something. If it means you bought a second hard drive when you didn't need to, then, when I can, I will cover the cost and make it up to you :)

I have a startech adapter and I'm surprised I didn't catch this. Thank you to the last two members who posted. I just wish they had done so sooner! Lol.

Can anybody tell me why the haphazard 80 wire cable affects which jumper position you must select? Am I correct in assuming that the optical drive is slave, then?

49 minutes ago, Estrichleger said:

Guys you were very helpful. 😚

I'm searching for another 2TB drive (I have now a WD Green and a HGST; both do not work in Master mode). Maybe three times does the trick.

... I would try a cheap sata adapter, buddy. One of the green ones. That's a cheap way to see if your current startech is no good for whatever reason.

11 hours ago, Estrichleger said:

Tried the two cheapos and still not working. BUT I got another Startech and what can I say it's magic because now it works.

Well that was an Odyssey up until today.

LMAO. So the original Startech and two green cheapos were dead, but this new one works... Thank God you're up and running, man. I KNEW that adapter was dead.

So what jumper setting ended up working for you? 

On 6/22/2023 at 11:27 PM, SylverReZ said:

The IDE to SATA adapter must have the jumper to master, the 80 wire won't fit in without folding the cable and cramming the rest behind the DVD drive. I had to do that with mine before hand.

Yeah, the IDE cable PISSED ME OFF. I almost couldn't shut the lid for a while until the wrinkles and folds became more settled in. lol

18 hours ago, Estrichleger said:

Yes I have it active on my xbox. Runs fine.

Glad to hear it! :) You just made my day!... which evidently is quite bankrupt of substance and meaning... lol. But I am glad you decided to use the bios and that it's working. Right on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...