OGXbox.com

SmartXX V2 Modchip and big Hdds (2TB drive)

Estrichleger

Well I have a SmartXX V2 with two different Bios files on it. One is the M8plus the other one is the Xecuter Bios. I did not update these for around 10 years or more.

What do I need to get a 2TB drive to work there.

I read all data from the original Hdd (c,e,f and so on) and created with FatXPlorer OG XBox Patitions on the 2TB drive. Then I copied all the data in its correct partitions. But I get the error 07. That hints to the case that the hdd is not recognized. I cannot read dvds when I have the big hdd in the system. With the small one everything works.

2 hours ago, Estrichleger said:

Well I have a SmartXX V2 with two different Bios files on it. One is the M8plus the other one is the Xecuter Bios. I did not update these for around 10 years or more.

What do I need to get a 2TB drive to work there.

I read all data from the original Hdd (c,e,f and so on) and created with FatXPlorer OG XBox Patitions on the 2TB drive. Then I copied all the data in its correct partitions. But I get the error 07. That hints to the case that the hdd is not recognized. I cannot read dvds when I have the big hdd in the system. With the small one everything works.

It's not finding a bootable dash file in partition C. To me, that means it's NOT seeing the HDD. If you set it up properly with the ogxbox files and fatxplorer, then it's not seeing the HDD right now. Sure your jumper settings are correct? Sometimes it's truly that simple 😛 Try Cable Select. I think your jumper settings are wrong and it may still be on master, or slave isn't working. Explains why your DVD drive isn't working/Booting anything with it in. It should be the ONLY reason it doesn't work with the big HDD in because that's what installer discs are for: working with your HDD when it's blank!

I would recommend Cerbios as a bios in the M8 256 slot.

25 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Are you using an 80wire IDE cable or the stock 40wire? What type of adapter are you using? 

That's true. I forgot that if it's that big, it's GONNA be SATA. Gotta select CS on the jumper on the SATA adapter too!

Will it always result in straight out failure right from boot, Marty? Or does it just crap out after trying to load games and things? If it's UDMA 2, shouldn't it be okay?... Or nah? :)

It really depends on the combination of drive and adapter. Unless they decide to convert to Cerbios for good, they won’t be able to utilize the faster UDMA speeds. And with a dual bios, you’d only be able to use one of them successfully with a HDD set up improperly. That being said, UDMA2 is the limit with the stock 40wire I believe. 

Edited by MadMartigan

14 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

It really depends on the combination of drive and adapter. Unless they decide to convert to Cerbios for good, they won’t be able to utilize the faster UDMA speeds. And with a dual bios, you’d only be able to use one of them successfully with a HDD set up improperly. That being said, UDMA2 is the limit with the stock 40wire I believe. 

Both of his bios do not exceed UDMA 2, so he should be good there... wait does the M8 plus exceed that? Although I don't even know if they'll work with his HDD setup. I know the X2 bios wont.

I say flash with Cerbios and check that the jumper is set to CS. Sounds like it's been overlooked.

26 minutes ago, Estrichleger said:

Well I'm using a standard IDE to Sata adapter. A Star Tech one is coming next week. Also I use a 80pin cable.

Do you guys have bios files for me to flash them to the Smartxx. Maybe thats the problem the hdd is not recognized.

You jumper is set correctly, yes? Good choice on the Startech! :)

UDMA5 will work with your current adapter. UDMA 6 will work with the Startech.

Make SURE you set the jumper to Cable Select!

Cerbios Hybrid V2.3.1 BETA UDMA6.bin Cerbios Hybrid V2.3.1 BETA UDMA5.bin

I’d put a pin in this topic until the new adapter arrives. 

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Both of his bios do not exceed UDMA 2, so he should be good there... wait does the M8 plus exceed that? Although I don't even know if they'll work with his HDD setup. I know the X2 bios wont.

I say flash with Cerbios and check that the jumper is set to CS. Sounds like it's been overlooked.

I’m not suggesting that either bios can support higher capacities. I was more so leaning towards the adapter being crap and some HDDs just don’t play well with those cheap adapters. While some work just fine without a 30 second boot time. Jumper shouldn’t matter using sata drives, but I could be wrong on that. 

Also, UDMA 5 will not work, I repeat, WILL NOT WORK with a lot of those cheap clone adapters. Doesn’t matter what bios you’re using. Nor will it work using a 40wire IDE. 

Edited by MadMartigan

3 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I’d put a pin in this topic until the new adapter arrives. 

I’m not suggesting that either bios can support higher capacities. I was more so leaning towards the adapter being crap and some HDDs just don’t play well with those cheap adapters. While some work just fine without a 30 second boot time. Jumper shouldn’t matter using sata drives, but I could be wrong on that. 

Also, UDMA 5 will not work, I repeat, WILL NOT WORK with a lot of those cheap clone adapters. Doesn’t matter what bios you’re using. Nor will it work using a 40wire IDE. 

Oh okay. What's the ceiling with the cheapos, UDMA 4? Or not even that? He has an 80 pin.

@Estrichleger I included two more Cerbios versions. One's UDMA 4 and one's UDMA 2. Use what you need, WHEN you need. Startech will support 6, though. I'm using it.

Edit: Cerbios6.bin is the overclocked UDMA 6 Cerbios to use with your Startech when you get it. :) 771MHZ, and GPU at 275.

Cerbios Hybrid V2.3.1 BETA UDMA4.bin Cerbios Hybrid V2.3.1 BETA.bin

cerbios6.bin

4 minutes ago, Estrichleger said:

Thanks for the newer bios. Will try it with the StarTech as the cheapos I have does not have a jumper or they have and can only be set to master or slave.

There should be 3 slots, CS being cable select. But you may be right,. I'm not familiar with the cheapos so I wouldn't know. Slave is the only other position. Cable select is available on the Startech. Go ahead and select it, buddy. :)

12 hours ago, Estrichleger said:

Well everything came today and I have to say that the HDD is not recognized even with the StarTech set to cable select and a 80 Pin cable. Funny thing is when I try to boot from the old HDD I'll get also error07 now. This wasn't the case with the old ide cable.

Load an installer disc. What does it say about your your partition info? Did you install Cerbios on the chip?

Other drive's Error 7 is with aftermarket bios?

Well when I try to boot a installer disc nothing happens when the 2TB Drive is on the cable. When the Original HDD is on the cabe it boots to the Installer disc. Tried now all Cerbios files provided and the only thing is that it stays on the cerbios logo.

When I try M8 or X2 Bios all I get is a black screnn with the 2TB Drive. With the old hdd everything works.

Found a 500GB IDE Drive. Here UnleashX (from the SLyers Boot disc)  tells me to format the drive at start. 

Could it be that the 2TB is incompatible with the bios?

Edited by Estrichleger

40 minutes ago, Estrichleger said:

Well when I try to boot a installer disc nothing happens when the 2TB Drive is on the cable. When the Original HDD is on the cabe it boots to the Installer disc. Tried now all Cerbios files provided and the only thing is that it stays on the cerbios logo.

When I try M8 or X2 Bios all I get is a black screnn with the 2TB Drive. With the old hdd everything works.

Found a 500GB IDE Drive. Here UnleashX (from the SLyers Boot disc)  tells me to format the drive at start. 

Could it be that the 2TB is incompatible with the bios?

It's like your drive is fucking off your ide bus entirely... Have you tried another SATA drive just to see if it's the adapter doing it? The 500 is ide, correct?

28 minutes ago, Estrichleger said:

Yes the 500 GB Drive is IDE.

A second 2 TB drive is on the way. I picked one of the compatible list.

Okay cool. I know the WD greens are fucked due to dumbass green head parking, but that's all I know about compatibility from memory. Thank god mine just worked out of the box.

Was yours new or used? 

Oh my fucking GOD. I HAVE A GREEN! How have I never noticed before and never had a SINGLE issue? I never modified the firmware to disable the power saving features!

@sweetdarkdestiny@SS_Dave@KaosEngineer @Dtomcat18

PXL_20230622_053904317.jpg