OGXbox.com

1.4 board with no video

Bowlsnapper

On to my next project. :)

This is the 1.4 board that came from the 1.6 Halo console. It's why I transplanted. This is the shell that the 1.6 was in. 

I can not get it to boot with video. It'll even flash green and orange without the AV cable plugged in, but when it's plugged in? Nothing.

One time. I got video output ONE TIME for no apparent reason. Got the green blubber and everything. Couldn't believe it. Next boot, nothing. Just a green light. I found a lot of bugs in this case for some reason and they may have caused a short... I'm hoping it was just in storage... And that I didn't fry it when I tested it the first time... I didn't know there were like, 147 bugs inside, man...

Any idea where to start? Or should I just give up now? I did verify that it's not a corroded AV port.

@SS_Dave @KaosEngineer

16870689535327378661813368962746.jpg

• Like 1

Well first off.  Shell of 1.6 and 1.4 are different.  I know putting a 1.6 in a 1.4 will fry a regulator.   Not sure about a 1.4 into a 1.6 shell (grounding points are different).  Can start there.   See if it boots in the right shell?  When it’s on… try reseating the AV cable and see if video comes back 

6 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Well first off.  Shell of 1.6 and 1.4 are different.  I know putting a 1.6 in a 1.4 will fry a regulator.   Not sure about a 1.4 into a 1.6 shell (grounding points are different).  Can start there.   See if it boots in the right shell?  When it’s on… try reseating the AV cable and see if video comes back 

1.4 in a 1.6 work without any problem. Did it a lot of times.

1.6 in a 1.4 case works also if you remove the one metal standoff for the screw by the video encoder. 

13 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

When I put the 1.6 in the Halo shell, I broke off/disconnected the grounding point that shorts the regulator. That's why my Halo console works. lol. 1.4 in a 1.6 is fine. This issue existed while it was still in it's original shell so I know it's not that. @sweetdarkdestiny

15 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

On to my next project. :)

This is the 1.4 board that came from the 1.6 Halo console. It's why I transplanted. This is the shell that the 1.6 was in. 

I can not get it to boot with video. It'll even flash green and orange without the AV cable plugged in, but when it's plugged in? Nothing.

One time. I got video output ONE TIME for no apparent reason. Got the green blubber and everything. Couldn't believe it. Next boot, nothing. Just a green light. I found a lot of bugs in this case for some reason and they may have caused a short... I'm hoping it was just in storage... And that I didn't fry it when I tested it the first time... I didn't know there were like, 147 bugs inside, man...

Any idea where to start? Or should I just give up now? I did verify that it's not a corroded AV port.

@SS_Dave @KaosEngineer

16870689535327378661813368962746.jpg

Had a 1.6 Halo come in other day that did just this.  Showed image once and would frag rest of the time.  Its Green Halo console I showed in the Nemesis thread.  It ended up being bad AV port and works perfect with Stellar HD+ now.

1 minute ago, Donnie-Burger said:

Had a 1.6 Halo come in other day that did just this.  Showed image once and would frag rest of the time.  Its Green Halo console I showed in the Nemesis thread.  It ended up being bad AV port and works perfect with Stellar HD+ now.

But it's not fragging. It's acting like it's working. Solid green light. Got it to boot once. I don't wanna have to replace the AV port due to bad Spring contacts... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

But it's not fragging. It's acting like it's working. Solid green light. Got it to boot once. I don't wanna have to replace the AV port due to bad Spring contacts... 

Shoot I forgot if it fragged sometimes and solid green others.  Not sure if its exactly what your issue is but I did get video from slightly moving av connection around.  System came in for hd+ install so I didnt mind giving it a shot and it all worked out.  I'm assuming you checked the normal trace rot traces?

Got it to boot again. After plugging in the power and ATX socket fresh.

I think this power supply is bad. I need to test it. I'm gonna test this mobo in my 1.4 Halo box right now and see what happens. I'll attach a video of my laptop making the noise when I plug in the AC to the power supply.

Put it in the halo case with a different power supply. Still only got ONE boot... I DID notice finally that the MCPX is getting very hot very quickly. Is this a sign that something has fried and is toast? It will NOT FRAG. Only a solid green light, and green/orange when AV isn't in, just like normal. Just no video.

Maybe I should hook everything up and see if... oh wait, I HAVE no original discs. Guess I'm fucked there. I can listen to HDD activity maybe see if It's just video? DVD? CD? I don't think it is. I think it's a component. Cuz when the video works, it's solid and I can't wiggle anything to get it to die out...

ShadyBlues fixed this problem with a recap and fitting a chip. I think this board needs some TLC, and I think the bios may be failing to load from the TSOP. I'll give it a shot :)

Edit: Nevermind. Guess the fix was temporary. I'm about to say fuck this board and just spend 38 bucks on a new one.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 12:56 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

ShadyBlues fixed this problem with a recap and fitting a chip. I think this board needs some TLC, and I think the bios may be failing to load from the TSOP. I'll give it a shot :)

Edit: Nevermind. Guess the fix was temporary. I'm about to say fuck this board and just spend 38 bucks on a new one.

Hey, sorry for resurrecting an old thread like this, but this is the first time I've logged on since 2021 (work life took over) so I only just saw this now.

So just in case you're still having issues, I can pretty much confirm the the problem with my Xbox not booting originally (when I had no audio or video, with a solid green light, no fragging) was because the BiOS was corrupted, so it wouldn't tell the Xbox to boot. Basically I had a coma console.

To fix this I fitted an Aladdin XT plus2 modchip, which seemed to fix it but then it started acting up again, really inconsistent, only booting sometimes from the eject button. It was a long time ago now, but I'm almost certain the issue was a bad solder joint I made to the D0 point on the motherboard while installing the modchip. I re-soldered the wire on both the modchip and motherboard connection. After that it never missed a beat, booted from the power button every time.

Since then I upgraded the dashboard and the hard drive, started burning my games onto it, had no issues. (Though it has been a year since I last used it)

It does sound a lot like you might have the same issue, if so it can be fixed by fitting a modchip and bypassing the original TSOP. I got my Aladdin off of Ebay for about £12. 

Anyway, hope this helps if you need it and sorry for the absolute wall of text LOL.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, ShadyBlues said:

Hey, sorry for resurrecting an old thread like this, but this is the first time I've logged on since 2021 (work life took over) so I only just saw this now.

So just in case you're still having issues, I can pretty much confirm the the problem with my Xbox not booting originally (when I had no audio or video, with a solid green light, no fragging) was because the BiOS was corrupted, so it wouldn't tell the Xbox to boot. Basically I had a coma console.

To fix this I fitted an Aladdin XT plus2 modchip, which seemed to fix it but then it started acting up again, really inconsistent, only booting sometimes from the eject button. It was a long time ago now, but I'm almost certain the issue was a bad solder joint I made to the D0 point on the motherboard while installing the modchip. I re-soldered the wire on both the modchip and motherboard connection. After that it never missed a beat, booted from the power button every time.

Since then I upgraded the dashboard and the hard drive, started burning my games onto it, had no issues. (Though it has been a year since I last used it)

It does sound a lot like you might have the same issue, if so it can be fixed by fitting a modchip and bypassing the original TSOP. I got my Aladdin off of Ebay for about £12. 

Anyway, hope this helps if you need it and sorry for the absolute wall of text LOL.

It's not a WALL of text... It's a poster. Lol.

I DID fix this console with a chip, btw. There was a thread on it... For some reason there are two threads? Weird...