OGXbox.com

[DL] Cerbios Bios Mirror [Updated]

sweetdarkdestiny

2 hours ago, Thairanny said:

A WD blue doesn't hold a candle to a server grade constellation drive.....

Also they are only 40$ on newegg:

*  They are refurbished, but the wear is nearly irrelevant.

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-constellation-es-3-st4000nm0033-4tb/p/N82E16822178504

https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-002P-024H4?Item=9SIBDKWHZJ2935

The server grade drives are much higher quality, and rated for 1.2 million hours on... The WD blues are so low quality they don't even list MTBF. And WD normally does, as you can see on the SSD specs.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 202204.png

Screenshot 2024-01-11 202038.png

Screenshot 2024-01-11 215134.png

May be worth a shot then! Guess I could try one.

22 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

If you go up to 2Tb on the western digital blue I think it’s only 5400rpm. I haven’t had any problems with the Blue 5400rpms though. 

You know if your 5400's are CMR or SMR? I'm trying to find out if there is a difference in xbox performance long term. According to this list, the largest 7200rpm WD Blue is 2TB, the WD20EZBX, and its the one I use. It's been great so far, but there are no 7200rpm WD Blue's larger than 2TB on that list. 

If I want to stay with WD and 4TB CMR, it looks like it's either the WD4005FZBX or WD40EZAX. If I can step down to 5400 without suffering noticeable performance decreases, it would save me quite a bit.

18 minutes ago, NokSueCow said:

You know if your 5400's are CMR or SMR? I'm trying to find out if there is a difference in xbox performance long term. According to this list, the largest 7200rpm WD Blue is 2TB, the WD20EZBX, and its the one I use. It's been great so far, but there are no 7200rpm WD Blue's larger than 2TB on that list. 

If I want to stay with WD and 4TB CMR, it looks like it's either the WD4005FZBX or WD40EZAX. If I can step down to 5400 without suffering noticeable performance decreases, it would save me quite a bit.

I looked back on order sheets (since they were upgrades people wanted rather than my personal and they supplied their own drives in these particular cases) the 5400rpm were CMR as I thought.  I had others but they were the 7200 rpm BX model you listed. I’ve got a 2Tb WD black in my personal. If I was going to 4TB I’d probably stick with the black 7200 FZBX model you mention about over the Blue 5400rpm. It’ll cost more but I think at that size you’d end up noticing a performance decrease. I can’t say for certain as I’ve never used anything higher than 2Tb 5400rpm in this application. Usually if I was going over 2Tb in anything (pc, Xbox, ps, etc) I’d opt for the highest rpm. Sometimes even over 1tb depending on what it was being used for. 

1 hour ago, Thairanny said:

Server grade drives are the HIGHEST quality drives on the market btw.

True and are usually the highest priced as well. Lol. I know they can be purchased at a reduced price when reconditioned. I’m just personally not a fan of the reconditioned. To each his own though. If you’re not running 24/7 with it and constant heavy loads I think the enterprise drives are overkill. The WD Black 7200rpm or similar styles by other manufacturers would suffice for the original Xbox. If I was setting up a nas, san, some server with a raid array, or any server I knew was going to have high data usage most of the time I’d definitely spring for the enterprise level hdd as they’re definitely made with that in mind and running non stop. That’s just my opinion on the matter though. For the og Xbox you could also ditch mechanical hdds altogether and go the ssd route but that can also be pricey (at the moment) for quality solid state drives even though prices are coming down. All in all it really just comes down to personal preference, how much it’s going to be used, and how much you want to spend. I definitely wouldn’t cheap out on an Xbox hdd but at the same time you don’t have to shoot the moon as it were.

Hell the hdds that came in the og Xbox were nothing special really and were consumer level hdds. Lol. 

Edit: Also enterprise level hdds can often times have a higher power draw than regular hdds. Forgot to mention that before. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

6 hours ago, Thairanny said:

Server grade drives are the HIGHEST quality drives on the market btw.

I put a 3TB HGST HUS724030ALA640 in one of my xbox's maybe 5 years ago and it is so loud I never want to try Enterprise hdd's again. I expected there to be noise, but its annoyingly too much for xbox. Its my slowest xbox hdd also, very unresponsive.

It said it was new when I got it off Amazon I think, but is there a way to check if I plug it into a Win10 pc? It's softmodded and I just put Cerbios on it a few nights ago, wanting to see if it will show up as 3TB now.

53 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

Sure, just install a program called defraggler. Go over to the Health tab after selecting the hard drive above, if it has way more time on it that you would expect, it was probably used.

I agree 100% they certainly are not created equal. I have had a lot of dead HGST drives come out of computers. Don't think I've ever even seen a WD go bad... If I have it was a dogged out 500GB WB blue (cheap).

Screenshot 2024-01-13 001013.png

*Here is my attempt at an audio test on the Constellation drive. Not any louder than a PC fan and not really any more loud under load. Can't upload the video but here are the screenshots.

Baseline

Screenshot 2024-01-13 004311.png

acoustics next to HDD (idle)

Screenshot 2024-01-13 004346.png

Applied LoadScreenshot 2024-01-13 004518.png

Acoustics next to HDD (under load)

Screenshot 2024-01-13 004503.png

Is that saying 43.3 Decibles?

51 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

Yea. "Instantaneous decibels" is what the app calls them, but I'm pretty sure that's just normal decibels.

I know that there is a curve and that with the decibel scale, things are literally exponential... I wonder what is exactly loud about them. Clicking, not just the bearings? @NokSueCow

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I know that there is a curve and that with the decibel scale, things are literally exponential... I wonder what is exactly loud about them. Clicking, not just the bearings? @NokSueCow

Enterprise level tend to be beefier by design for their normal applications. (Denser magnetic media, heavier actuator magnets, anti vibration hardware, etc). That being said they really shouldn’t be much louder than any other 7200rpm drive. In the case of the Xbox it could, in some cases, just be case (smaller design than say a rack mount server) or maybe the hdd spin is sometime rattling the plastic hdd tray or top rf shield. Just speculation of course. I’ve never run across one in a server or even a smaller NAS box that was much (if any) louder than say a WD Black hdd. Honestly some of the older 5400rpm hdds made more noise at times. Lol

Edit: They can be louder on initial spin up if staggered spin up isn’t enabled if I recall correctly. Ssu is supposed to help with the initial power draw as well but not necessarily applicable in the case of the Xbox. Regardless it really shouldn’t be any louder than normal even if it was a bit loud on initial spin up. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Thanks 1