OGXbox.com

New hard drive installation

Fixit-13

Chimp or FTP is the question

I have about 1TB of games on a 2TB drive in a modded box with an xecuter 2.6 chip. I recently picked up another xbox and actually found that I had an extra xecuter 2.6 chip on hand. I recently installed it, and it works just fine, so I have purchased another 2TB drive to put in it.  Would it be best to use Chimp to clone it, or should I just throw Hexen on it and FTP over the files. My mind is saying to use Hexen and go the FTP route so I don't have to swap a live drive or touch the other box but maybe I am just over thinking it. What would you do?  

As both Xbox's are chipped an can work with the drive unlocked I would use a standalone HDD cloner like this type of thing.

The one I have is Sata to Sata and takes around  7 hours to clone a fully loaded 2tb (I normally leave it working over night and it's done in the morning ) with out tying up a PC or Network.

Hard-disk-clone.jpg

The other option is to make a image of the master drive then restore the image on a PC

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

As both Xbox's are chipped an can work with the drive unlocked I would use a standalone HDD cloner like this type of thing.

The one I have is Sata to Sata and takes around  7 hours to clone a fully loaded 2tb (I normally leave it working over night and it's done in the morning ) with out tying up a PC or Network.

Hard-disk-clone.jpg

The other option is to make a image of the master drive then restore the image on a PC

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I guess with a tool like that, filesystems are irrelevant. Just raw data. That thing's fuckin rad.

Yep that should work 

Or connect the unlocked HDD to a PC and use HDDraw to make a ISO file of the entire drive then you can use that ISO file to make a new HDD.

Cheers

SS Dave

10 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Does that docking station shown in your previous post come with its own cloning tools? 

If not what do you use? 

It's a function built-into the docking station.  It doesn't even have to be connected to a PC to do the cloning.

If you buy a similar dock, make sure it does sector-by-sector cloning instead of filesystem cloning.  Some do filesystem cloning which  is supposed to be faster; however, they will not recognize the Xbox's FATX filesystem and thus NOT work.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Does that docking station shown in your previous post come with its own cloning tools? 

If not what do you use? 

Yes it can be used as a USB dock or clone a HDD without a PC connected.

From memory it was about $40aud inc shipping 4 years ago from china.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

I downloaded the free HDDGURU Raw Copy Tool, hooked the new drive in where my cdrom was (yeah older pc) then took my master and plugged it into usb port using a usb adapter. Started the copy and went to bed. Installed it in the morning and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately my newly found and modded xbox worked for about 6-7 minutes and then went dead. Now all I get is the dreaded frag.  Oh well, I tried, but at least I have a drive, a chip and some spare parts ready to go for the next one I find. 

2 hours ago, Fixit-13 said:

I downloaded the free HDDGURU Raw Copy Tool, hooked the new drive in where my cdrom was (yeah older pc) then took my master and plugged it into usb port using a usb adapter. Started the copy and went to bed. Installed it in the morning and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately my newly found and modded xbox worked for about 6-7 minutes and then went dead. Now all I get is the dreaded frag.  Oh well, I tried, but at least I have a drive, a chip and some spare parts ready to go for the next one I find. 

My heart just broke. That sucks, buddy. Thankfully, you do have those parts that you can transplant and run the same configuration with. I'd use an identical version xbox also. Might as well.