Hi Everyone,

I've got a 1.0 with a Hynix with DVD drive that won't eject that came previously TSOP'd. It had an older version of EVOX flashed and then the two TSOP junctions were removed. It unfortunately didn't have the LBA48 configured so thus I wanted to reflash. When I used the BIOS checker I would get Unknown. When I tried to use Flash tools (blastos and evox) I wouldn't get anywhere with flashing as it was unwritable (makes sense)

Today I reapplied the TSOP junctions and when I ran the BIOS Checker I was getting something back - identfying the correct chip and flash. I grabbed the 1mb size version of ind-bios, added a fresh config file to my c drive, started up blastos, and flashed it which seemed to be successful... until the restart. Now the xbox will start, power off, start, power off and then start again with a red/green alternating LED.

Have I ruined my TSOP? Should I have done the 256K? I've got a couple Alladiin's on the way, is this recoverable? I'd appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

Correct. 

BFM  (Bootable From Media) BIOSes do not include the hardware initialization code that is included in non-BFM BIOSes.

Loading a BIOS after intiailization - from media (the hard drive) - doesn't require that code section only the kernel (OS for the Xbox).

Edit: The easy fix.  Install a modchip that is always enabled.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Edge said:

Thanks for the informative answer KaosEngineer. It was my mistake just seeing the full 1mb size thinking that was the correct bios. I'll install a modchip and get it correctly flashed.

You could try Xblast lite chip from N64 Freak and that should let you reflash the TSOP or swap the TSOP chip from salvage (non working version 1.0-1.1) 

Or you could just leave the mod chip fitted and not worry about fixing the TSOP.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Thanks SS_Dave. You tipped me into something with this. It doesn't sound like I'll be able to reflash the TSOP with a Aladdin modchip alone. If I booted and removed the chip, the update would target the LPC port rather than the onboard TSOP, does that sound correct?

Is there any way I can reflash with an Aladdin or is getting an Xblast the next option.

I'm completely fine just using the Aladdin, but it would be great to be able to fix my mistake.

2 hours ago, Edge said:

If I booted and removed the chip, the update would target the LPC port rather than the onboard TSOP, does that sound correct?

No as once the Xbox boots from the LPC that is the only thing it looks at so to flash a TSOP it needs to boot from the TSOP.

The easiest is a just use a mod chip as to flash a non working TSOP there is a modded M7 BIOS that needs to boot from a mochip while there is 2 points on the mainboard held to ground and then disconnected from ground in the correct order and time, Thats where a Xblast lite chip helps as it does that for you automatically.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The easiest is a just use a mod chip as to flash a non working TSOP there is a modded M7 BIOS that needs to boot from a mochip while there is 2 points on the mainboard held to ground and then disconnected from ground in the correct order and time, Thats where a Xblast lite chip helps as it does that for you automatically.

Are you sure? According to the Xblast manual, a partially working TSOP is needed for this method to work.

To summarize the mechanism, the special BIOS, coupled with a XBlast Lite, will start booting the console from the LPC port, then reset and restart booting from on board TSOP and finally switch back to LPC, mid-boot, to load the kernel of the hacked BIOS. So the feature rely on the fact that the TSOP to recover contains partially valid data to work. If you TSOP is blank or too corrupted, the TSOP recovery feature will not work. Also, if your TSOP is already flashed with a "modern" hacked BIOS (like Evox M8+, X2 5035 or others), there is a strong possibility that this feature will not work, at least with the special BIOS tsop_m7.bin.

I bought an Xblast from N64 Freak a few months ago with the expectation that I could use it fix a board that had a bad copy of iND-BIOS flashed to it. Apparently the "inject config into BIOS" feature of the iND-BIOS configurator tool doesn't work and leads to a corrupt BIOS. I tried and failed to fix the TSOP using an Xblast, then researched it and found out this is the reason why. I just have a cheap Aladdin chip on that board that lives there permanently.

Edited by GoTeamScotch

I'll give it a go and let you know! I'm fairly certain I have good flash ... it just so happens to be the BFM version(ugh... my mistake). I've got my Xblast's on the way, my Aladdin's just arrived. At the worst case the Aladdin will work just fine.

The XBlast works only for some TSOP's and if you have a old bios on it. Something has changed between m7_TSOP and the newer bioses so you can kick the XBLast idea. psyko chewbacca wrote he would try do make a m8_TSOP (if possible) but thats a ~3-4 year old post ( https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7081 ) which i have found because of 2 failed TSOP flashes with a faulty m8 bios on Winbonds TSOP's which i have tried to recover with a XBLast and an external programmer (whitout and luck).

• Like 1