micielk

Clock Capacitor (Replaced?)

Hello

I bought my another Xbox recently. First of all I decided to remove clock capacitor, when I opened console I saw clock capacitor but in different color (green). Is this replacement or should I removed it also? As I check there is no leak or something

Please login or register to see this attachment.

My experience with Super Caps (Clock Cap) has not been good and not just with Xbox's I would remove it,

as the board is a version 1.1 I would think it has been changed at some stage.

A sign of leakage is a oil type of stain on the PCB and or damage to the copper traces.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I've not seen a clock cap like that so my guess is that it is a replacement.

My thought is: why replace it if it is working? That of course means testing that it is - leave the Xbox on for an hour or two with the correct date/time. Turn it off, unplug it from the mains and if 12 hours later it is still displaying the correct date when you restart it I'd say the cap still young and in good condition.

If it maintains the time for 24hrs or longer then I'd guess it had been replaced recently, perhaps for the sale just before you bought it.

In either case its working as it should so keep it.

Only problem is if you're using a SID softmod it won't keep the date if set it to anything post June 2020. So if this is the case then use a pre-2020 date for the test. 

• Like 1

Good idea I think; you now know its been replaced recently and unless you're hugely unlucky or you flog the Xbox to its limits you should not need to worry about even checking it for at least decade.

The other older caps are far more likely to go before it does so keep an eye on them over the next few years and you can always check the clock cap at the same time too.

As SS_Dave said its a v1.1 and likely a late 2002 manufacturing date so its now 18 years old - the clock cap is almost certainly the newest component.

Edited by HDShadow
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By farrdeamer
      Hi all,
      I recently pulled my OG Xbox out of the garage to set it up for my 9yo to have a play on. Looking forwards to showing it off to her, I tested it and it worked fine but thought I had better remove the clock cap for safety (no leaking but checked to make sure). Then let her have a go at a game - worked fine. Then after rebooting, error 12.... 
      I took the drive and put it on the PC and quickly took an image of it using HDDRawcopy, which showed around 8 bad sectors and the drive was reporting SMART errors too, so it's toast.
      I got a larger SATA drive and put it in using an amazon purchase IDE-SATA adapter, but still get the error 12 - is there any way to read the drive on a PC and repair the damage/reinstall whatever is used to boot (as there was a lovely setup of xecutor2 dashboards on there I would rather not lose).
      Otherwise, if there is no way to recover it.  I tried using Tru Hexen 2020 to try and setup another drive, but the DVD won't boot (HDD is set to slave, I get error 17) 
      Any help gratefully appreciated (it's a hard modded unit- xectutor 2 from memory)...

• By Maladin
      Hi fellow kids. Just wondering if I should recap the power supply in my og Xbox?
    • By titchgamer
      G'day guys,
      Just a quick one, Today I aquired a Crystal XBOX, I was under the impression they were all 1.6 but after I soft mod'd its ID'ing it as a 1.4?
      From what I have read this may mean its actually a 1.5 as it was manufactured in 2004.

So I know I need to pull the clock cap (which appears dead anyway) But I have opened her up and thankfully no damage to the board that I can see but its a different cap layout to the ones I have pulled before.
      Or is this actually a 1.6 and I can leave it be?

So can you confirm its this cap I need to pull out?

As you can see the board is totally filthy so tomorrow I intend on pulling the cap and giving it a good blow out

Cheers.

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.