Jump to content
OGXbox.com

Realy High Gpu/Cpu Temps After Changin Caps.


sweetdarkdestiny
 Share

Recommended Posts

Basics: XBox 1.4 with iND TOSP 5003 (also tried the 5004) / "Rest is stock"

Yesterday i have changed some of the old caps which are bulky. I started with the 3 in front of the CPU and the clock cap. Everything went pretty smooth.

Then i changed one of the 1500uF 6,3V "metal" caps (In the Picture (which isn't mine!) market with a question mark). Then i testet the box again cuz the cap was a little bit of a hassle because of the old solder. After that i noticed realy high temps on the GPU and a higher temp on the CPU.

I have to admid that i didn't paid to much attencion on the temps after i testet the box in the first place. Shame on me.

So i fired up my other 1.4 to compare the temps. The result of it is, that the one with the new caps has a ~10°C to 15°C hotter CPU and a ~20°C to 25°C hotter GPU (~55°C - 60°C) on idle!

So i ripped out the 1500uF 6,3V and put the old (metal one) back but still high temps. I assume now that the problem are the three caps in front of the CPU (3300uF 6,3V).

Could that be possible? I mean they are about 4000uF for what i have testet them before i soldered them in...  That give me a little headache now. Any ideas?

Greets

Mrs. Edit : Stupid me, forgot the picture.

xbox 1.4 mainboard.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dash is unleashed but XBMC4Gamers reports also high temps and i cleaned the sensor with ipa.

Caps are:

3300uF 6,3V (Panasonic EEU-FM0J332) : https://www.conrad.de/de/p/panasonic-eeu-fm0j332-elektrolyt-kondensator-radial-bedrahtet-5-mm-3300-f-6-3-v-20-12-5-mm-1-st-1475998.html?insert=62&searchType=SearchRedirect

3300uF 6,3V (Panasonic EEU-FM0J152) : https://www.conrad.de/de/p/panasonic-eeu-fm0j152-elektrolyt-kondensator-radial-bedrahtet-5-mm-1500-f-6-3-v-20-10-mm-1-st-1468925.html?insert=62&searchType=SearchRedirect

 

Edit: i have test it with the multimeter 67°C and with a finger and damn the GPU is realy realy hot.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Dash is unleashed but XBMC4Gamers reports also high temps and i cleaned the sensor with ipa.

Caps are:

3300uF 6,3V (Panasonic EEU-FM0J332) : https://www.conrad.de/de/p/panasonic-eeu-fm0j332-elektrolyt-kondensator-radial-bedrahtet-5-mm-3300-f-6-3-v-20-12-5-mm-1-st-1475998.html?insert=62&searchType=SearchRedirect

3300uF 6,3V (Panasonic EEU-FM0J152) : https://www.conrad.de/de/p/panasonic-eeu-fm0j152-elektrolyt-kondensator-radial-bedrahtet-5-mm-1500-f-6-3-v-20-10-mm-1-st-1468925.html?insert=62&searchType=SearchRedirect

 

Edit: i have test it with the multimeter 67°C and with a finger and damn the GPU is realy realy hot.

I have a quick question for you. What do the temperatures look like with everything back in the system? You mentioned the gpu heatsink is hot, which makes me think you tested the system without the HDD Caddy and Dvd drive Caddy installed. Those help to direct airflow from the fan over the heatsinks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

i have test it with the multimeter 67°C and with a finger and damn the GPU is realy realy hot.

Same here a version 1.1 Xblast reports CPU 47c and a Fluke meter with the probe center of the GPU heatsink just next the the hold down clip 70c 

Once you but the drives in the temps will drop as they form ducting force air across the 2 heatsinks.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DobaMuffin said:

I have a quick question for you. What do the temperatures look like with everything back in the system? You mentioned the gpu heatsink is hot, which makes me think you tested the system without the HDD Caddy and Dvd drive Caddy installed. Those help to direct airflow from the fan over the heatsinks. 

All put back toghter ... Pic 1 (1.4) shows the one with new caps after 10 min of idle.  Pic 2 shows my other 1.4 box with untouched caps.

Result: 61°C CPU vs 35°C CPU and 30°C GPU vs 50°C GPU.

Finaly Pic 3 shows what happend when you put some sausages on the new capped (caped?) xbox gpu. :)

 

1.4.jpg

1.4c.jpg

xbox+sausages.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This really nice but this software always report a lower temp

IMG_20200725_144419.thumb.jpg.8b30cfa524dd5267af862b756b3afeeb.jpg

CPU mid 40c is what most of mine idle at with fan set at 20%

The GPU is ready the motherboard temp.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, neighbor said:

oh, god bless that murder ritual

Come on mate, whats the point of this conversation? You wan't to make ppl. stop eating meat? Make them kill the animal on her/his own if they wan't to eat it and i promeses you that min. 50% of them didn't eat meat again. And on the other side - well - you know how much trees "get killed" (YES plants live too they just dont have eyes to look at you!) cuz the space is needed for soy to make fake meat (Btw. WHY da hell vegetarian want to eat something which tast like meat?) or other plants. And thats just one example. The point here is :" Vegetarians are murders too ". We all are in one or the other way. We just have the freedom to deside what we are killing but at the end we all have to kill something to live on! But in case you feel better call me a killer and keep washing your hands in innocence, i'm fine with that. At the end we should thank "GOD" that we have to kill anything for living. (Little side not for your next topic to try to blame someone (me): I don't belive in God. How ever, have a nice day.

6 hours ago, Danish_Elite said:

oh, god bless that murder ritual

Well, i have 4 xbox'es here (2 x 1.4 and 2 x 1.6). Three of them are idle at mid 30 which is fine. And like i mentioned bevore, i didn't paid attention to the temps on this xbox in the first place (before i startet recapping) I take the blame for that. But i still think those idle temps are pretty high. And like you asked, i have postet pictures of the two 1.4 systems (build back toghter) for comparsion (And what was your answer to that?). I did'nt had in mind, when i startet this topic, to waste ppl's time. So i apologize in case i wastet yours or any of the others. Btw. I assume that the 1.0/1.1 are run mostly a little hotter than all revisions after that but fell free to proof me wrong here. I'm not afraid of learning something new.

 

Finaly, i had to thank Dave for trying to help (like allways) without get pissed or bs arround because of anything i wrote. Thats professional in my opinion. I like that.

 

How ever, Thanks and i'm out.

 

- Closed (for me) -

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Well, i have 4 xbox'es here (2 x 1.4 and 2 x 1.6). Three of them are idle at mid 30 which is fine. And like i mentioned before, i didn't paid attention to the temps on this xbox in the first place (before i startet recapping) I take the blame for that. But i still think those idle temps are pretty high. And like you asked, i have posted pictures of the two 1.4 systems (build back togother) for comparison (And what was your answer to that?). I didn't had in mind, when i started this topic, to waste ppl's time. So i apologize in case i wasted yours or any of the others. Btw. I assume that the 1.0/1.1 are run mostly a little hotter than all revisions after that but fell free to proof me wrong here. I'm not afraid of learning something new.

Hey, I apologize and didn't mean any offense. I was just trying to inquire if I was having an issue like you as well. I completely agree that those temps are way high on your 1.4 and even the temps on mine seem to be on the road to yours. Yet, curious if anyone else had similar temps and I really wasn't sure what the acceptable range of temps should be about. It was more of a question to the community, I should have clarified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danish_Elite said:

Hey, I apologize and didn't mean any offense. I was just trying to inquire if I was having an issue like you as well. I completely agree that those temps are way high on your 1.4 and even the temps on mine seem to be on the road to yours. Yet, curious if anyone else had similar temps and I really wasn't sure what the acceptable range of temps should be about. It was more of a question to the community, I should have clarified.

The Xbox should cut out at approx 72c to protect the components, if it is doing this I would change the thermal paste and maybe think of running the box at a higher fan speed, it will just be a bit nosier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went through this whole temp question myself a few weeks ago after reading on a website that it should idle at 30 degrees and play games no higher than 50.

What I found was mine idled at 50 and went up to about 58 while playing a game.

I changed the thermal paste and a few other things but when I dug deeper I found that most people seem to report higher temps more consistent with what I was getting, I found when it got to around 58 it would cool down by a few degrees and then slowly climb back to 58 rinse and repeat.

That was according to unleash X anyway....

What I also found is once I fitted a digital temp monitor taking a reading direct from the heat sink it was about 10 degrees less than the dash was reporting.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do this post just for others who might be have the same problem.

So, I managed to fix the problem. I have soldered the old 1500uF back in place (which did'nt solve the problem) and i replaced the two 3300uF 10V caps (the green marked ones in the attached pic) and the temps go back to normal (open case and closed case almost the same).  And since this is a TOSP flashed box i had also the solder brigdes for the TOSP removed.

How ever, things went back to normal. Not 100% sure if i screw that up or if it already was faulty but who cares at the end? The problem is solved. The only downside of this, that i now have to use my stove again to make my self some unbelievable tasty sausages.

But now, i`m out. The post is just made to clear things up and encourage ppl. to dig a bit, even they are not sure what's the damn problem is.

Greets.

 

Eating living defenseless plants is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

xbox.jpg

IMG_20200814_182733.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2020 at 5:06 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Basics: XBox 1.4 with iND TOSP 5003 (also tried the 5004) / "Rest is stock"

Yesterday i have changed some of the old caps which are bulky. I started with the 3 in front of the CPU and the clock cap. Everything went pretty smooth.

Then i changed one of the 1500uF 6,3V "metal" caps (In the Picture (which isn't mine!) market with a question mark). Then i testet the box again cuz the cap was a little bit of a hassle because of the old solder. After that i noticed realy high temps on the GPU and a higher temp on the CPU.

I have to admid that i didn't paid to much attencion on the temps after i testet the box in the first place. Shame on me.

So i fired up my other 1.4 to compare the temps. The result of it is, that the one with the new caps has a ~10°C to 15°C hotter CPU and a ~20°C to 25°C hotter GPU (~55°C - 60°C) on idle!

So i ripped out the 1500uF 6,3V and put the old (metal one) back but still high temps. I assume now that the problem are the three caps in front of the CPU (3300uF 6,3V).

Could that be possible? I mean they are about 4000uF for what i have testet them before i soldered them in...  That give me a little headache now. Any ideas?

Greets

Mrs. Edit : Stupid me, forgot the picture.

xbox 1.4 mainboard.jpg

did u disturb the cpu heatsink at all? if u did, then u probably disturbed the old thermal paste under it and it needs new paste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not touched the CPU/GPU in this case. And like i wrote, things went back to normal after i replaced the two 10v caps and removing the TOSP bridge. So i can just guess here that either one of the caps was faulty or maybe the TOSP bridge was some sort of bad (which i don't believe to be honest).  So this case will still be a x-file for an x-box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.