Jump to content

Good New for People That Have Problems With Xbox After Replacing Thermal Paste


Recommended Posts

i, like many others, started having problems with my xbox after replacing the thermal paste. graphics glitching, freezing, frag'ing, and sometimes it would just go into a coma on me. it appears that the problem is that some of the solvent for cleaning the thermal paste gets underneath the gpu chip and causes a short. 1st off, i do not recommend replacing the thermal paste on these consoles but if u already have and are now having problems then here is how to fix it. get a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol with a squirt top on it(i suggest a quart bottle), hold the motherboard on it's side, and squirt the alcohol all over it. be certain that plenty is going under the gpu. next, take a hair dryer and dry the board very well. be careful not to get it too hot. a good rule of thumb is that if any part of the board is uncomfortable to lay your hand on and keep it there, then it is too hot and should be allowed to cool. next, sit the board in the xbox, hook up the psu, connect a tv and power on the system a few times to be certain that it appears to be working before full reassembly. BE CERTAIN TO REAPPLY THERMAL PASTE AND HEATSINKS BEFORE POWERING ON! i'm not certain that it will overheat the chips without the heatsinks for a quick test but it isn't worth the risk. this fixed my xbox that i was concerned i had forever killed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I work on the theory

if it is working it does not need fixing

I don't change the thermal paste unless it is running hot or the heat sink has been  removed some reason. 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I work on the theory

if it is working it does not need fixing

I don't change the thermal paste unless it is running hot or the heat sink has been  removed some reason. 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

i know it can be good to replace it on pc but i think it is more trouble than it is worth on these xboxs. hopefully, people that are freaking out thinking they have killed their xbox find this post so they don't lose hope. that is why i wrote it. i haven't seen another like it online back when i was researching what was wrong with my console.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using rubbing alcohol is wrong too.

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol diluted to 70% or less using water and often de-naturing and other substances too. If it was from a dodgy source it could be an even lower percentage and tap water rather than distilled water used to dilute it as well.

If you're going to use isopropyl it should be genuinely pure lab grade ie. 99+%.

You do not want anything which contains water seeping under the chip if indeed that is even the cause of the problems described.

I'm with others here - if the Xbox is not overheating leave it alone. But if I was needing to remove thermal paste I'd use a product designed for that purpose like Akasa's TIM Clean which is a citrus based solvent and works very well softening hard thermal paste. Rather pleasant smell too - Limonene I think.

  http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-TC

Edited by HDShadow
Link to post
Share on other sites

But unfortunately all the Facesook certified experts say  you must change the thermals (Heatsink paste).

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Cosmonaut Cartilag said:

I replaced my thermal paste, i'll let you know if I have any extensive issues 😢

Most people that change the thermal paste correctly don't have any problems.

The problems come from excessive force to remove the GPU heatsink and contaminants seeping under the GPU/CPU chips and then I have seen posts where they complain that the temps have increased and that's probably due to the heat transfer paste being not applied correctly. I have had one person tell me that because the CPU heat sink was hot before the paste was changed and now it's a lot cooler that the old paste was not working where is the other way around, A cold heatsink to me means the heat transfer past is not working.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Using rubbing alcohol is wrong too.

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol diluted to 70% or less using water and often de-naturing and other substances too. If it was from a dodgy source it could be an even lower percentage and tap water rather than distilled water used to dilute it as well.

If you're going to use isopropyl it should be genuinely pure lab grade ie. 99+%.

You do not want anything which contains water seeping under the chip if indeed that is even the cause of the problems described.

I'm with others here - if the Xbox is not overheating leave it alone. But if I was needing to remove thermal paste I'd use a product designed for that purpose like Akasa's TIM Clean which is a citrus based solvent and works very well softening hard thermal paste. Rather pleasant smell too - Limonene I think.

  http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-TC

using a product designed for it is what caused me trouble. it still need that alcohol bath to clean what is under the chip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Most people that change the thermal paste correctly don't have any problems.

The problems come from excessive force to remove the GPU heatsink and contaminants seeping under the GPU/CPU chips and then I have seen posts where they complain that the temps have increased and that's probably due to the heat transfer paste being not applied correctly. I have had one person tell me that because the CPU heat sink was hot before the paste was changed and now it's a lot cooler that the old paste was not working where is the other way around, A cold heatsink to me means the heat transfer past is not working.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

that's probably from the wrong paste being used or the paste being applied to thick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cosmonaut Cartilag said:

I replaced my thermal paste, i'll let you know if I have any extensive issues 😢

if it has been working ok since u replaced it then it is probably fine. if u were gonna have problems, you'd likely have them within the 1st 30 minutes of play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

using a product designed for it is what caused me trouble. it still need that alcohol bath to clean what is under the chip.

I suppose it depends how you apply it. A drop of that Akasa TIM Clean will soften the hardest dried out thermal paste if used as recommended. You carefully clean it off with a Q-Tip or non-abrasive paper towel and reapply a drop at a time and do it again and again, as necessary until all traces of the thermal paste are gone. There should not be enough to liquid to get under the chip.

My guess would that it wasn't the cleaning solution that caused the problem it was actually conductive thermal paste diluted by the cleaning solution. More care was needed when cleaning it off, that's all. 

Squirt too much of any liquid onto any electrical equipment and you could get problems.

Lab grade isopropyl alcohol is the only substance recommended for use with such equipment in general because it evaporates fast.

Rubbing alcohol is meant for antiseptic purposes and is diluted with water for that reason. The antiseptic properties of the isopropyl are still effective at 70% and so slowing down the evaporation by adding water actually means it is more effective when used for that purpose.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I suppose it depends how you apply it. A drop of that Akasa TIM Clean will soften the hardest dried out thermal paste if used as recommended. You carefully clean it off with a Q-Tip or non-abrasive paper towel and reapply a drop at a time and do it again and again, as necessary until all traces of the thermal paste are gone. There should not be enough to liquid to get under the chip.

My guess would that it wasn't the cleaning solution that caused the problem it was actually conductive thermal paste diluted by the cleaning solution. More care was needed when cleaning it off, that's all. 

Squirt too much of any liquid onto any electrical equipment and you could get problems.

Lab grade isopropyl alcohol is the only substance recommended for use with such equipment in general because it evaporates fast.

Rubbing alcohol is meant for antiseptic purposes and is diluted with water for that reason. The antiseptic properties of the isopropyl are still effective at 70% and so slowing down the evaporation by adding water actually means it is more effective when used for that purpose.   

i don't know where to get lab grade rubbing alcohol. anyone can get 91% alcohol from walmart and it does the trick. and it takes more than a drop to clean these gpu's. regardless, this isn't meant to be a tutorial on how to change thermal paste since i actually recommend against it. this is for people who have already changed the paste, are now having problem, and freaking out looking for solutions like i was a month ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isopropyl alcohol might be easy to get in the US but in the UK I've never seen it being sold over the counter. Possibly you'd get rubbing alcohol at the local chemist/drug store but for lab grade its Ebay or direct sellers on online. Some electronic component supply companies sell it.

The only thing you might get in a hardware store here is methylated spirits (ethanol 95% denatured by methyl alcohol 5%). That should not be used for electronics cleaning because it is actually a more powerful solvent and will damage the lacquer and any printed lettering used on a PCB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is because of my heatsink or some other issue, but ever since I put in my new hard drive and have been using my xbox more, ive noticed itll refuse to turn on (itll just turn itself off and on without ever  coming up with any visuals or audio) or itll flash red and green. I read that this could be an issue with how the IDE is cable is put in, but I had to fold it alot just to get it all in the right positions to be plugged in :'/ Edit: I was able to get it to turn itself back on properly after I unplugged it for a bit and plugged it back in, unsure if thats a one off fix or related to whats going on? 

Edited by Cosmonaut Cartilag
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cosmonaut Cartilag said:

Not sure if this is because of my heatsink or some other issue, but ever since I put in my new hard drive and have been using my xbox more, ive noticed itll refuse to turn on (itll just turn itself off and on without ever  coming up with any visuals or audio) or itll flash red and green. I read that this could be an issue with how the IDE is cable is put in, but I had to fold it alot just to get it all in the right positions to be plugged in :'/ Edit: I was able to get it to turn itself back on properly after I unplugged it for a bit and plugged it back in, unsure if thats a one off fix or related to whats going on? 

Can you post a pic of the Sata2Ide adaptor also you are using a 80 way cable I hope

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you post a pic of the Sata2Ide adaptor also you are using a 80 way cable I hope

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

I think I bough the startech cable as it was the only even remotely decent looking one I could fine and yeah it should be an 80 pin. I have a converter as a go between my hard drive and it since it wouldnt plug straight into the thing, the middle cable for the DVD drive I had to fold alot because it wasn't the way round  so im wondering if thats whats causing it. I'll get a picture of it here in a bit

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cable sounds like it will be alright they are 40 pins and 80 wires ..

On the adaptor if there is a link to select master/slave make sure it is on master.

and a pic would be helpful..

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The cable sounds like it will be alright they are 40 pins and 80 wires ..

On the adaptor if there is a link to select master/slave make sure it is on master.

and a pic would be helpful..

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

DM'd you the pictures so im not flooding the forum with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So i picked up an xbox the other day that was working and decided to clean it up because it looked like someone had spilt something inside (rusty metal cage). while i was there i thought id change the thermal paste, just to prolong the life out of it really. I got it all back together and now when I power it up, sometimes it will flash red/green and sometimes it will start for about 10-40 seconds and then switch off. I personally think I may have gotten some of the solvent under the gpu as well. so I am thinking the first thing ill try is drying it out with some 99% isopropyl. fingers crossed!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack said:

So i picked up an xbox the other day that was working and decided to clean it up because it looked like someone had spilt something inside (rusty metal cage). while i was there i thought id change the thermal paste, just to prolong the life out of it really. I got it all back together and now when I power it up, sometimes it will flash red/green and sometimes it will start for about 10-40 seconds and then switch off. I personally think I may have gotten some of the solvent under the gpu as well. so I am thinking the first thing ill try is drying it out with some 99% isopropyl. fingers crossed!

definitely try it. my system flashed red and green after a thermal paste change and i thought it was toast. it functions perfectly now. here's a tip, in most cases, always try the xbox out before u work on it unless u see something that has to be address immediately(i.e. dust bunnies completely clogging the cpu cooler). i don't even remove the infamous clock cap before i test one now. don't be afraid to take a hairdryer to it. it will dry up any alcohol pretty quickly. just don't get it so hot that u can't comfortably hold your hand on any part of the system. if u do get it that hot, then stop and let it cool. btw, let me know if this works for u :)

Edited by bulkchart32
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that 1st test the device before you do anything then do 1 step at a time and then test again .

If you do 3 or 4 mods at once and it is not working then you do not know which mod caused the problem, I know it's nice to do all  the work at once but it is hard to backtrack when you don't know what mod caused the problem.

And was the CPU temp running high before you changed the thermal paste? and is it any better now?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By SpeedyBug
      Hello everyone, I have a little problem with a softmoded Xbox with an Ndure, XBMC4Gamers main dashboard, Unleash alternative dashboard and equipped with a 500 GB hard drive. The console has about 80 working games on F and G partitions. The problem is that some get corrupted when I try to put others on the hard drive. The home artwork disappears and sometimes I can no longer launch the game. I noticed that some files were getting corrupted. The copied games do not launch or I have an "unreadable disc" message ... I have tried various things but have not been able to resolve this issue. I forgot to say that I have about 30 GB left available on G ... I would like to point out that this problem is only present on the G partition, the one I mainly use in fact ... I even tried to copy games via DVD2XBOX but they are not copied correctly and will not launch, while the application does not report any copy error ... After having thought about it, I tell myself that what produces these "instabilities" or these bugs is the fact of having via the FTP recorded and then erased such or such game many times, which causes the hard drive to be completely fragmented. I understand that it is useless in principle to defragment the HDD but at some point it must be necessary ... No? Has anyone ever had this problem? What I plan to do is move all the functional content to an external HDD via FTP and then re-inject everything cleanly so that I can then have these remaining 30 GB on the G partition without any problem. Thank you for reading me, hoping that some will provide me with an explanation and possibly an alternative solution ...
    • By Chungaloid
      Hey all.  Sorry if this has been posted, but I searched and couldn't really find anything.  I have a 1.0 Xbox that was handed to me by a friend.  He said he couldn't remember much about it, but that him and his kid tried to mod it a long time ago, and now it isn't working.  Upon opening it, I found a pin header, no modchip, tsop points soldered, and the underside D0 pad ripped off.  When I try to start the xbox, it cycles power 3 times then frags out.  I'm assuming this is due mainly to the ripped D0 trace.  I've tried repairing the trace, and bridging the two pads connected by the green line, but I can't seem to get the solder to stick.  Is there any other way to repair this, or is this the only way?  Relatively new to xbox modding so any tips would be appreciated.  Thank you!  

    • By Skrumpkin
      Hi,
      I have a hard modded OpenXenium chip with a 1 TB WD Blue HDD.  I have everything set up and I am trying to get more than 200 GB - with more than  > 200 GB left on a partition.  Filezilla is not letting me do that.  I am just trying to transfer the titles.  They are all HDD ready for transfer but they do not go through at a certain point.  They  all become failed transfers.  The bios I am using is unleashed x from the OGXBOX installer.  It was not flashed by the program but was transferred by my network.  It is a CEE bios.   I switch dashboard sometimes.  The only one that I have on there that is not preinstalled is Emulation Station. I had used the DVDmulleter to get the bios necessary.  The HDD has been partitioned correctly having being split from F to G the remaining left.  I am fairly new to this and any advice to help would be beneficial.

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.