bulkchart32

Question About Parts From a 360 Dvd Drive

i know the drive from a 360 will not work with an og xbox but are there any parts from a 360 drive that would work? for example, would certain lasers like the SOH-DX1 from a 360 drive work in an og xbox drive that has the same model laser?

No, there were a couple of computer dvd drive that could be used with a bit of tweaking but you are unlikely to find a compatible one these days. If you just need it for loading a utility disk you can just plug in a modern aftermarket dvd drive. It will not read original disk and you need to leave the original drive connected so the Xbox thinks it is reading from its own dvd drive. Not a pretty setup as you need the case open.

1 hour ago, bulkchart32 said:

i know the drive from a 360 will not work with an og xbox but are there any parts from a 360 drive that would work? for example, would certain lasers like the SOH-DX1 from a 360 drive work in an og xbox drive that has the same model laser?

If the part number on the laser is exactly the same and the physical mounting is the same then providing that the conector is the same it should work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I replaced the motor that opens and closes the drive and sourced it from a broken 360 drive(I believe they were both samsung). It was a perfect fit i just needed to run wires instead of the plugs that solder in to the board. Other than that nothing could really be used from what I saw. 

54 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

If the part number on the laser is exactly the same and the physical mounting is the same then providing that the conector is the same it should work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

it appears that some 360 drives use that laser but i'm having a hard time finding which ones did. i can buy a new 360 drive for the price of a refurbished laser(not certain how they refurbish them).

1 minute ago, bulkchart32 said:

it appears that some 360 drives use that laser but i'm having a hard time finding which ones did. i can buy a new 360 drive for the price of a refurbished laser(not certain how they refurbish them).

They probably refurbish them the same as some evilBay sellers clean then test to see if it works and say refurbished.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

They probably refurbish them the same as some evilBay sellers clean then test to see if it works and say refurbished.

Cheers

SS Dave

i'm just hoping they didn't do a pot tweak on it. everything i have read says that will make them work for a little while longer but not very long. when i search that laser part number by itself, i get alot of things about an xbox 360 drive which makes me think that some 360 drives have it. i wish i could find out exactly which ones so i could just order that drive and steal parts from it.

I would suspect that they would tweak the pot to make it work, Anything to make a sale.

Cheers

SS Dave

11 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

i'm just hoping they didn't do a pot tweak on it. everything i have read says that will make them work for a little while longer but not very long. when i search that laser part number by itself, i get alot of things about an xbox 360 drive which makes me think that some 360 drives have it. i wish i could find out exactly which ones so i could just order that drive and steal parts from it.

I think if you could use a 360 laser there would be at least one tutorial on this site or on youtube on how to do it.