Jump to content

Alternatives To Coinops ?


Recommended Posts

Hey all - My original plan for my emu box was to leverage XBMC Emustation by Rocky 5 however it was super clunky .... So after a while I stumbled across Coinops and its a pretty good looking piece of kit and ive got it up and running no worries ..... however I am sure there are prettier and better front ends out there and or packages

Here is another example I have seen > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZ27eCwpLM 

So what do you recommend and why ??

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many different releases from the CoinOPS Project:

CoinOPS 6, 7, 8 - Massive, GEMS, Lite, Standalone, etc - so many different releases with these.
Dragon
HyperVISION 5, 6
Premium NINJA - Gold, Massive, Lite and several NINJA add-on packs.
Premium 8
VISION 5

I believe Premium NINJA is the latest of their releases. 😕

The YouTube video you linked to uses UnleashX with the XvGM (Xbox video Game Museum) skin along with the Playstation emulator PCSXBOX 22b5 to run Vigilante 8.  There are many other emulators as you can see from the menu listing they scrolled through to get down to the Playstation emulator. 

It's available for download using a torrent from OGXbox.com (a 38.1GB download) or the latest release with many updates applied to the v1.1.1 release from CB-Games' google drive.  (He's still working on updates to the Xbox letter N game videos; therefore, it's currently not available from the google drive repository.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Danthuyer said:

Hey all - My original plan for my emu box was to leverage XBMC Emustation by Rocky 5 however it was super clunky .... So after a while I stumbled across Coinops and its a pretty good looking piece of kit and ive got it up and running no worries ..... however I am sure there are prettier and better front ends out there and or packages

Here is another example I have seen > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZ27eCwpLM 

So what do you recommend and why ??

Emustation, clunky?? In what way?? I have it on one of my boxes, It nice and smooth and runs fine.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Emustation, clunky?? In what way?? I have it on one of my boxes, It nice and smooth and runs fine.

 

The N64 surrel.ini files would always error on scan and are from another person package file (earthworm2012 or something similar) so when it errors trying to fix it was a pain in the butt, I could only really ever get genesis games working easily on this platform. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Emustation seems very popular these days, but I honestly haven't tried it. It looks nice, but everything seems pre-configured. Like the N64 issue you mentioned.

A lot of fun I have on these old Xbox's is tailoring each front-end/dashboard to suit a specific system. Coinops looks great, but doesn't leave much room for modification either. Plus, it's rather slow to start games compared to stand-alone emulators.

For a modern look, I'd go XBMC Origins. Looks great, and you can always improve or mod the theme as you like it.

Also, UnleashX is my favorite for just building a theme from scratch. And its very easy to build/theme a menu to launch emulators. If you like CoinOps, Final Burn Legends has a very similar style for 2D Arcade games. And its very fast to load.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crushingyourhead said:

Emustation seems very popular these days, but I honestly haven't tried it. It looks nice, but everything seems pre-configured. Like the N64 issue you mentioned.

A lot of fun I have on these old Xbox's is tailoring each front-end/dashboard to suit a specific system. Coinops looks great, but doesn't leave much room for modification either. Plus, it's rather slow to start games compared to stand-alone emulators.

For a modern look, I'd go XBMC Origins. Looks great, and you can always improve or mod the theme as you like it.

Also, UnleashX is my favorite for just building a theme from scratch. And its very easy to build/theme a menu to launch emulators. If you like CoinOps, Final Burn Legends has a very similar style for 2D Arcade games. And its very fast to load.

XBMC Origins does look nice but its too much like XBone for my liking - Ive found a skin for unleashX that I like and im just going a tweaking a few things on it to taylor it for me (if only I could load the original that would be nice but i get a funky error message in UXArchitect)

Ive tried FB Legends a while ago .. i might load that up again soon once ive sorted a few things out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Danthuyer said:

The N64 surrel.ini files would always error on scan and are from another person package file (earthworm2012 or something similar) so when it errors trying to fix it was a pain in the butt, I could only really ever get genesis games working easily on this platform. 

I would just go ahead and re download the earthworm James pack again and do a clean install of the files. I use that very pack and it works perfectly. It’s the best set of N64 roms for the Xbox.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

I would just go ahead and re download the earthworm James pack again and do a clean install of the files. I use that very pack and it works perfectly. It’s the best set of N64 roms for the Xbox.

I may go back to it and try getting it working again - however to be honest coinops has my attention now so i will stick with that .....

I also had a bit of trouble finding earthworm packs .... :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Danthuyer said:

I may go back to it and try getting it working again - however to be honest coinops has my attention now so i will stick with that .....

I also had a bit of trouble finding earthworm packs .... :(

I’ve been messing abit with CoinOPS last night. Game losing was extremely slow at first but that was fixed by disabling a certain option in the settings. Only thing is It seems quite hard to be able to customise it in anyway at all and to add further emus/games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

I’ve been messing abit with CoinOPS last night. Game losing was extremely slow at first but that was fixed by disabling a certain option in the settings. Only thing is It seems quite hard to be able to customise it in anyway at all and to add further emus/games. 

agreed it is a little annoying at times that the pre packaged versions arent too easy to configure. I downloaded the lite version and had many troubles getting the roms to be recognised and loaded :( 

I have used CO8 R5 and CO8 Massive and both have been fine - Im trying the ninja and other versions now to see how they go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, KaosEngineer said:

There are many different releases from the CoinOPS Project:

CoinOPS 6, 7, 8 - Massive, GEMS, Lite, Standalone, etc - so many different releases with these.
Dragon
HyperVISION 5, 6
Premium NINJA - Gold, Massive, Lite and several NINJA add-on packs.
Premium 8
VISION 5

I believe Premium NINJA is the latest of their releases. 😕

The YouTube video you linked to uses UnleashX with the XvGM (Xbox video Game Museum) skin along with the Playstation emulator PCSXBOX 22b5 to run Vigilante 8.  There are many other emulators as you can see from the menu listing they scrolled through to get down to the Playstation emulator. 

It's available for download using a torrent from OGXbox.com (a 38.1GB download) or the latest release with many updates applied to the v1.1.1 release from CB-Games' google drive.  (He's still working on updates to the Xbox letter N game videos; therefore, it's currently not available from the google drive repository.)

@KaosEngineer - there are so many versions of coinops ! .... which is the latest and greatest ? ive got eh CO8 massive which is 84GB and also R5 standalone and Gems, whixh are the other ones worth getting?

Thanks also for the tip on vision i got version 6 and it looks cool with its menu system

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, KaosEngineer said:

It's available for download using a torrent from OGXbox.com (a 38.1GB download)

 

14 hours ago, irlandez said:

Bro, but no one gives it away, no siders.

very well, I downloaded, I will help with the distribution. I will stay and support the distribution of files as long as possible. thanks

Edited by irlandez
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, irlandez said:

Bro, but no one gives it away, no siders.

I suggest downloading it from the google drive repository - many updates since the torrent version are included in it.  However, it is missing the Xbox letter "N" named game previews.  I think that's one of the largest sets of previews being updated and not yet finished.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danthuyer said:

@KaosEngineer - there are so many versions of coinops ! .... which is the latest and greatest ? ive got eh CO8 massive which is 84GB and also R5 standalone and Gems, whixh are the other ones worth getting?

Thanks also for the tip on vision i got version 6 and it looks cool with its menu system

I'm not exactly sure which of the many versions: CoinOPS 6, 7, 8 - Lite, Gold, Massive; HyperVision, Premium, NINJA, Premium NINJA is the best.  It's so confusing with all the releases and I find little info describing the particulars about each.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi nikeymikey

I would like a copy to give a go if you could send me link please

 

Cheers

SS Dave    

 

                                                                                                                                                           
Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By AtariSoul
      Hello Friends  
      I'm configuring Ninja Ultimate and I wondered how I can update / add emulators to it. For example the PCSXbox reloaded uses hardware acceleration so I wanted to change use it instead.
      For example, I can see AtariXL.xbe and defaultAXL.xbe. I presume the latter is a shortcut to the former which is AtariXLbox modded for Coinops? OR, is this calling the XBE under my F:\Emulators folder
      I have been searching for days to try to find info and everything points to the PC versions these days.
      Thanks in advance
        
    • By KpCollins
      So... Converting Video's for use in Coinops. I've learnt how to get the games across and the actual videos but my problem is.
       
      When i convert to WMV2 in Any Video Convertor Ultimate and disable audio the WMV2XMV fails to convert the track.
      When I leave the audio on it converts fine, Normally this isnt a problem but for this I would like them silent.
       
      Any ideas?
    • By Jaggsy1986
      Hi, Can anyone explain to me how to get coinops gems working on origins. ie which folder to place it on and how to get it running i'm struggling thanks

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.