OGXbox.com

Bios Flash gone wrong

southcamp

So, hello there. I am new to all this, although I have had my Xbox since 2005. I got it out recently and thought I should "modernize" it - and this is where I should have stopped.

I have an XBOX modded with an X-Changer (not 2.5) and an evo x bios. It started the evolution x dash when pressing the eject button and the X-Changer OS when pressing the power button (interestingly showing two banks to boot from - one 256k and one 512k).

So, first thing I did wrong was softmodding the system with Rocky5's upgrade kit, which deleted the original MSXBOX dashboard. The system, however, continued to work fine. The second time I should have stopped.

Then, after a lot of research, I found out that there exists an updated X-Changer OS, so I updated the OS to V2.2 via network. It worked fine, but after that I could not start the bios anymore. It just circled back to the OS starting page (not showing two bank any more).

So I decided to flash a new bios via network. I chose the latest Cerbios as I read that it should run on an X-Changer. The flash worked fine, but after rebooting the screen stayed black and the light of the XBOX was red.

I guess I must have messed it up, to quote the band GusGus.

My next idea would be to boot with a TruHeXeN ROM and reflash the bios, this time to an evo x one.

So, is there anybody out there kind enough to tell me what went wrong and what I can do? Thanks in advance!

45 minutes ago, southcamp said:

So, hello there. I am new to all this, although I have had my Xbox since 2005. I got it out recently and thought I should "modernize" it - and this is where I should have stopped.

I have an XBOX modded with an X-Changer (not 2.5) and an evo x bios. It started the evolution x dash when pressing the eject button and the X-Changer OS when pressing the power button (interestingly showing two banks to boot from - one 256k and one 512k).

So, first thing I did wrong was softmodding the system with Rocky5's upgrade kit, which deleted the original MSXBOX dashboard. The system, however, continued to work fine. The second time I should have stopped.

Then, after a lot of research, I found out that there exists an updated X-Changer OS, so I updated the OS to V2.2 via network. It worked fine, but after that I could not start the bios anymore. It just circled back to the OS starting page (not showing two bank any more).

So I decided to flash a new bios via network. I chose the latest Cerbios as I read that it should run on an X-Changer. The flash worked fine, but after rebooting the screen stayed black and the light of the XBOX was red.

I guess I must have messed it up, to quote the band GusGus.

My next idea would be to boot with a TruHeXeN ROM and reflash the bios, this time to an evo x one.

So, is there anybody out there kind enough to tell me what went wrong and what I can do? Thanks in advance!

You softmodded the system. :) This may work fine with some bios configurations, depending on what they do with the dash, but Cerbios is trying to do something that is conflicting with the softmod. However, the specifics are speculation on my part and I do not know what I am talking about, only the basics. Never mix a softmod with a hardmod. Your Xbox is allergic to it. Either hook up the drive to a PC with FATXplorer, or find a way to run an installer disc and reinstall the proper contenrs of C. 

Maybe others here can share how they modernized their systems. I simply use either an XBlast Aladdin or OpenXenium with Cerbios 2.3.2 and a 2TB HDD with Origins data on it but a custom setup. I also usually do a 128MB RAM upgrade, but that is obviously not needed.

My suggestion would be to get a new HDD, install it, then use an installer disc to put in a clean hardmod dash. My personal preference would still be to use an AID (Auto-Installer Deluxe) disc but then I'm old school and like things nice and simple. The OGXbox or TruHeXEn ones probably have all the bells and whistles of a more up to date installer but what you use is up to you. They'll all work.

Doing this will give you a virgin set up you can play around with if you must.

BIOS rule No.1 (Xbox or PC): don't flash a new BIOS unless you know what you're doing and you really need a feature of the new BIOS. Just updating it because there is a new version is pointless because every time you do it you're risking bricking your machine.

If you've flashed CerBIOS you're probably wanting to use a larger HDD than you are already so it makes no sense trying to fix whatever mess you've made by softmodding the existing HDD. Chances are that it is unlocked and you can get everything important off it and transfer it to the new HDD one way or another.

Edited by HDShadow
replaced old link with latest one
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

My suggestion would be to get a new HDD, install it, [...]

Thx for the help and the tip. That was also on my mind and also the reason why I wanted Cerbios. You all sound confident that the flash went all right and that the problem is the unnecessary softmod which gives me somehow peace of mind.

36 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

BIOS rule No.1 (Xbox or PC): don't flash a new BIOS unless you know what you're doing and you really need a feature of the new BIOS. Just updating it because there is a new version is pointless because every time you do it you're risking bricking your machine.

Well, that's the thing, I thought I knew what I was doing:-). But you are right, never change a working system.

38 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

[...] so it makes no sense trying to fix whatever mess you've made by softmodding the existing HDD. Chances are that it is unlocked and you can get everything important off it and transfer it to the new HDD one way or another.

It was unlocked before. Just to be sure: Is there an "easy" way to get the old HDD working with an installer? Like, fixing the c-drive?

4 hours ago, southcamp said:

Thx for the help and the tip. That was also on my mind and also the reason why I wanted Cerbios. You all sound confident that the flash went all right and that the problem is the unnecessary softmod which gives me somehow peace of mind.

Well, that's the thing, I thought I knew what I was doing:-). But you are right, never change a working system.

It was unlocked before. Just to be sure: Is there an "easy" way to get the old HDD working with an installer? Like, fixing the c-drive?

Well, changing the bios is fine, but since you are upgrading from such an old one, it would be prudent to get a bit of an understanding about what will be different at boot. I would suggest that the flash MAY have been okay if the softmod had never occurred, since you are not getting a Cerbios bios error regarding anything related to the dash and are getting no display at all. Traditionally for me, blank screens are the result of a softmod trying to load but not functioning properly. However that was a VERY old bios, so shadow may simply be correct on that point. (not that I'm Xboxstradamas or anything!) 

Use the installer disc (you may be able to at the "red LED blank screen" or at boot) To format and set up C. Try it.

-Format and Setup>Format and Setup HDD>Format Single Partition>Format and setup partition C.

Or

-Format and setup> remove softmod files. - I would be interested if this fixed the problem, but formatting C isn't gonna hurt. Those are all pretty much the same MS dash files and those will be replaced with the installer disc. Cerbios should boot your dash from E, anyway.

This should preserve all your files on E and any other partition. Any dash and data you had before should come back, as long as the dash was named "evoxdash.xbe on the E partition. Can you see if you can load a disc?

13 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

(not that I'm Xboxstradamas or anything!) 

Xboxtradamus - love it! Thx for the reply.

9 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Does Hexen boot? 

If so, run the remove softmod menu option - I believe it is 3.3.2.

You, too! I really appreciate it.

Believe it or not, I am currently not in the possession of a DVD burner. However, being the man of action that I am, I have bought one already on ebay and it is on its way. It should arrive on Monday. As soon as I have burned a boot DVD (thx for all the recommendations!) I will pop it in, hope one of them will boot all right and then I will try to remove the softmod from c:. I will let you know how it worked out.

Any thoughts of why my old X-Changer OS showed two banks, but v2.2 not so any more? I also used the CerBIOS 2.3.2 Alpha for flashing. A problem?

You will hear from me as soon as it worked - or if it didn't! Have a great weekend, y'all!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 2:23 AM, southcamp said:

Any thoughts of why my old X-Changer OS showed two banks, but v2.2 not so any more?

Take a look at the x-changer manual:

http://www.teamxchanger.com/downloads/XOR-X-Changer(2.2).pdf

Update: New link as I thought I copy/pasted the Wayback Machine link, not the original URL:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060825184258/http://www.teamxchanger.com/downloads/XOR-X-Changer(2.2).pdf

• Like 1

My burner finally arrived today. I burned the OGXbox Installer Cerbios Edition and booted it up. For a split second I could see the CerBIOS Logo and then the installer menu. I was very happy, I must tell you. However, accidentally I pressed the B button and the box restarted. After that I was not able to get the disc to boot up again. Neither did I get TruHeXEn to start.

However, I popped in one of my gamediscs and first I could see the CerBIOS logo in 720p for a longer time and then the game started! So, I guess this is proof that a) the bios flash worked out fine and b) that the disc drive is working.

But: What now? If I cannot boot up, I cannot install a new HDD or fix my old. Or can I prepare it on my PC and then just pop it in? Suggestions are much appreciated.

Thx in advance!

2 hours ago, southcamp said:

My burner finally arrived today. I burned the OGXbox Installer Cerbios Edition and booted it up. For a split second I could see the CerBIOS Logo and then the installer menu. I was very happy, I must tell you. However, accidentally I pressed the B button and the box restarted. After that I was not able to get the disc to boot up again. Neither did I get TruHeXEn to start.

However, I popped in one of my gamediscs and first I could see the CerBIOS logo in 720p for a longer time and then the game started! So, I guess this is proof that a) the bios flash worked out fine and b) that the disc drive is working.

But: What now? If I cannot boot up, I cannot install a new HDD or fix my old. Or can I prepare it on my PC and then just pop it in? Suggestions are much appreciated.

Thx in advance!

Or could it be a problem w/the burned DVDs? I used Verbatim single use and burned at lowest Speed (3x). I read somewhere that this can be an issue sometimes.

52 minutes ago, SylverReZ said:

Yes, not sure why that URL was inserted into my post. I was visiting the Wayback Machine archived copy of the web page when I copy/pasted it. 

Weird. :)  

Thanks for posting a good link to it.

• Like 1

Thx for clearing that up. I had a look and I can't find an answer there, although I am the first to admit that I might be too ignorant. For me, it just describes the way the X-Changer OS works. However, I cannot access the OS anymore.

Hello, it's me again.

So, today I decided to do what Samuel Beckett once famously said: "Ever tried, ever failed - no matter. Try again, fail again - fail better."

I tried booting up the OGXBOX installer disc once more and this time it worked. I even got to the point "Remove softmod files". It did just that, although at the very end it showed some batch failure. Upon rebooting the XBOX, it still did not boot, but the light stayed green this time.

So I booted the installer again. While in the main menue I was even able to connect to my XBOX via ftp, although I wasn't able to access any of the shown drives. This is where I am now.

My first guess is that the DVDs I used were or the way I burned them was faulty. So I will get other ones and try burning the installers again. My second guess is that I won't be able to recover the files from my HDD which is sad, but that's life. Luckily, I did some backups before the flash.

I will keep you updated. If you have any thoughts or advice I am very happy to hear it.

6 hours ago, southcamp said:

Hello, it's me again.

So, today I decided to do what Samuel Beckett once famously said: "Ever tried, ever failed - no matter. Try again, fail again - fail better."

I tried booting up the OGXBOX installer disc once more and this time it worked. I even got to the point "Remove softmod files". It did just that, although at the very end it showed some batch failure. Upon rebooting the XBOX, it still did not boot, but the light stayed green this time.

So I booted the installer again. While in the main menue I was even able to connect to my XBOX via ftp, although I wasn't able to access any of the shown drives. This is where I am now.

My first guess is that the DVDs I used were or the way I burned them was faulty. So I will get other ones and try burning the installers again. My second guess is that I won't be able to recover the files from my HDD which is sad, but that's life. Luckily, I did some backups before the flash.

I will keep you updated. If you have any thoughts or advice I am very happy to hear it.

Yes. "-Format and Setup>Format and Setup HDD>Format Single Partition>Format and setup partition C." There is nothing stored on C that you need and it probably could stand to be rebuilt anyway.

If that doesn't work, use the disc to "install a dashboard". Your Bios is having trouble booting from wherever it's finding dash files first. Give it a fresh, functional dash to find. Aside from that, your only recourse is to FTP everything off of E with the installer disc's FTP client and to format it, which is really the best option as long as it is backed up and you can put your specific files back on it... but NOT dash files. Only things like Apps, Roms, etc. Goodies. You do not want to back up any dash files as they are bullshit now.

Cerbios boot order:

DashPath1 = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
DashPath2 = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\avalaunch.xbe
DashPath3 = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\nexgen.xbe

Partition 2 = E

2 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Aside from that, your only recourse is to FTP everything off of E with the installer disc's FTP client and to format it, which is really the best option as long as it is backed up and you can put your specific files back on it.

Hey, thanks once more. I tried to do this today, but my PC wasn't able to read the drives C - Y. It showed them weirdly in my FTP programme and I couldn't access them.

4 minutes ago, southcamp said:

Thx. I was thinking of putting the IDE HDD into a case I have left and then use FATXplorer to get the files. Hope it will show the folders correctly. I ordered the parts to connect an SATA to the XBOX. But before that I need a functioning boot disc. Hopefully the new discs will work.

Please tell me you used a Startech...

Good morning everyone!

To give you an update: I sucessfully installed a new SATA HDD to my old XBOX. Everything is working fine. And it seems that the problem was my old IDE HDD. Connecting it to my PC, it did not work properly (lights flashing etc.) and FATXplorer wasn't able to find it. Either accidentally or because of the shock of getting a new BIOS, it must have crashed and burned. Well, it has done its work the last decades admirably - may it rest in peace.

So, all things considered, everything is working again. Thank you all for your splendid support, awesome advice and help. It is really much appreciated.

Cheers,

southcamp

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southcamp said:

Good morning everyone!

To give you an update: I sucessfully installed a new SATA HDD to my old XBOX. Everything is working fine. And it seems that the problem was my old IDE HDD. Connecting it to my PC, it did not work properly (lights flashing etc.) and FATXplorer wasn't able to find it. Either accidentally or because of the shock of getting a new BIOS, it must have crashed and burned. Well, it has done its work the last decades admirably - may it rest in peace.

So, all things considered, everything is working again. Thank you all for your splendid support, awesome advice and help. It is really much appreciated.

Cheers,

southcamp

Glad it worked out, dude. :)