OGXbox.com

Bios Flash gone wrong

southcamp

So, I thought I ask this time before I do anything stupid:

Now that I have an SATA HDD with Startech adapter and the proper 80 wires ribbon cable, can't I flash a CerBIOS that enables UDMA6? Checking my CerBIOS 2.3.2 Alpha with the Cerbios Tool, I found out that it is UDMA2. Do I flash the UDMA6 version using XBlast OS via boot disc or can I do it via HDD and ftp? And what is the difference to UDMA auto detect (Startech)?

And something else: With the X-Changer bios I was able to boot differently by pressing either the power or eject button. Conveniently, the tray never opend when booting via the eject button. Now, I can also boot to different dashboards depending which button I press. However, when pressing the eject button the tray now opens everytime which is kind of annoying. Is there a way to turn that off?

Thx in advance for any thoughts on that matter!

I was told that unless you have an SSD, don't worry about UDMA 6. I swapped out my BFM bios for the 2.3.2 UDMA 5, renamed it Cerbios.bin, and it just worked. Later modified it with Cerbios Tool for the default paths, 0=hdd/dvd, and fan speed. Modified Cerbios.ini as well, to reflect. All this was on a softmod, I have no experience with hardmods.

3 hours ago, southcamp said:

So, I thought I ask this time before I do anything stupid:

Now that I have an SATA HDD with Startech adapter and the proper 80 wires ribbon cable, can't I flash a CerBIOS that enables UDMA6? Checking my CerBIOS 2.3.2 Alpha with the Cerbios Tool, I found out that it is UDMA2. Do I flash the UDMA6 version using XBlast OS via boot disc or can I do it via HDD and ftp? And what is the difference to UDMA auto detect (Startech)?

And something else: With the X-Changer bios I was able to boot differently by pressing either the power or eject button. Conveniently, the tray never opend when booting via the eject button. Now, I can also boot to different dashboards depending which button I press. However, when pressing the eject button the tray now opens everytime which is kind of annoying. Is there a way to turn that off?

Thx in advance for any thoughts on that matter!

You can transfer the new bios file to C:bios folder(create it if it’s not there). Then go to Flash Bank and select the bios you want to flash. That’s all you should need to do. I don’t know much about the auto detect mode on Startech. It’s probably” best to leave that alone and just go with the maximum UDMA your drive supports. UDMA5 if you’re not using an ssd. 

As for the X-Changer, Xenium chips operate the same way. You can change it to boot instantly to your dash or into xeniumOS, within the Xenium Settings. You’ll want to turn on instant boot and select what bios to boot. Eject should take you to XeniumOS by default. 

Thank you for your input and the info about UDMA5.

Every since I flashed Cerbios, my X-Changer OS has disappeared, which, I guess, makes sense, so I cannot use it to flash a new bios. Hence, I cannot get into its settings. Or am I wrong here? That's why I think I have to do it via boot disc or can I do this directly from HDD? Which app would you then recommend?

Sorry for the many questions, I am just very careful since my last experience.

Maybe to clarify: Pressing the eject button starts Cerbios safemode with Unleash X (only today did it show the safemode icon). The power button starts XBMC4gamers. The X-Changer OS apparently had a quickboot option when pressing the eject button w/o opening the tray (very convenient in my opinion).

I have read somewhere that flashing an X-Changer w/ Xblast etc. is not possible. So how can I flash it then if no X-Changer OS present?

BTW (and might be unrelated): Having FTP issues. One day it works, then suddenly slow, then after FileZilla update back up again and then today no connection at all. Seems I have a FTP poltergeist in my box.

6 hours ago, southcamp said:

Maybe to clarify: Pressing the eject button starts Cerbios safemode with Unleash X (only today did it show the safemode icon). The power button starts XBMC4gamers. The X-Changer OS apparently had a quickboot option when pressing the eject button w/o opening the tray (very convenient in my opinion).

I have read somewhere that flashing an X-Changer w/ Xblast etc. is not possible. So how can I flash it then if no X-Changer OS present?

BTW (and might be unrelated): Having FTP issues. One day it works, then suddenly slow, then after FileZilla update back up again and then today no connection at all. Seems I have a FTP poltergeist in my box.

I also have weird issues with FTP just like tht. I have no idea why. FTP is sketchy on the OG.

BTW you should have no issues with UDMA 6. I am not sure if the advantage is there with spinning platters, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. I always flash it with my Startech boxes.

... Unless you're attached to that X-Changer cuz it's old, you may want to consider upgrading your chip. One that can at least run XBlastOS. OpenXeniums are nice and these types of chips are both a LOT easier to deal with and are able to store OSes that can flash the chip with ease through multiple means.

Thx for the tip. Before my flash and change of HDD I had no issues with ftp.

I am not emotionally attached to my modchip (which is an X-Changer v2.5), but I am not the soldering kind of guy so would like to leave it as is.

I also remember that one was able to flash the X-Changer with evolutionX if a line was added in its .ini. Is that correct? If not am I doomed to use Cerbios v2.3.2 alpha UDMA2 for eternety?

And, finally, why did the X-Changer OS disappear or can't I just not access it? Shouldn't a flash leave it untouched?

Again, thx for all your valuable input.

7 hours ago, southcamp said:

Thx for the tip. Before my flash and change of HDD I had no issues with ftp.

I am not emotionally attached to my modchip (which is an X-Changer v2.5), but I am not the soldering kind of guy so would like to leave it as is.

I also remember that one was able to flash the X-Changer with evolutionX if a line was added in its .ini. Is that correct? If not am I doomed to use Cerbios v2.3.2 alpha UDMA2 for eternety?

And, finally, why did the X-Changer OS disappear or can't I just not access it? Shouldn't a flash leave it untouched?

Again, thx for all your valuable input.

I would ask @KaosEngineer about the OS on the chip as he is very well familiar with old chips.  I assume that the Cerbios flash overwrote the bank that XchangerOS was stored on and left the other one untouched/blank. Old chips like the X2 are kinda like that. A pain. Modern modchips sore their OS on flash banks that are not really supposed to be accessible except by certain means, like the OpenXenium. I don't think the XChanger has that benefit. Cerbios is a GOOD bios for what it's worth and it's what we're all using, UDMA 2 Isn't so bad for now until we get this remedied.

Edit: This post contains inaccurate information and I am embarrassed and ashamed.

BTW I fixed my FTP problem today. In my router the LAN port was switched from me from 1 Gb to 100 Mb as I thought ye olde Xbox can' t make use of it anyway. Today I switched it back to 1 Gb and now it is connected again. Doesn't make sense but what does nowadays.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:59 AM, southcamp said:

Thx for the comfort, really appreciate it.

@KaosEngineer: Do you have experience with this kind of issue?

Here is what I found out about the X2.5: https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=2722

Cheers!

Even more information can be obtained from archive.org's Wayback Machine:

TeamXchanger - Home (archive.org)

On 3/21/2024 at 3:59 AM, southcamp said:

Thx for the comfort, really appreciate it.

@KaosEngineer: Do you have experience with this kind of issue?

Here is what I found out about the X2.5: https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=2722

Cheers!

Take a look at this manual:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070801215244/http://www.teamxchanger.com/downloads/XOR-X-Changer(2.2).pdf