OGXbox.com

V1.0 EEPROM chip

Petrolhead

6 hours ago, Petrolhead said:

So sorry for the late answer, didint notice you answer.

The one marked in the picture got fried when I did the xenium work, done it 3 time but this was akward as he**

PXL_20240115_193035186.jpg

That's the TSOP flash memory chip that holds the BIOS.  You have a modchip installed so don't worry about replacing it.  Unless you really feel you must replace it.

Most likely a Hynix HY29F080T-90.  However, take a close-up picture of it and post it in a reply.

Edit: Corrected flash memory chip part number.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

That's the TSOP flash memory chip that holds the BIOS.  You have a modchip installed so don't worry about replacing it.  Unless you really feel you must replace it.

Most likely a Hynix HY29F080T-90.  However, take a close-up picture of it and post it in a reply.

Edit: Corrected flash memory chip part number.

I think the modchip did that short (tried that ship on two old devices)

Can I just remove that chip and use a working mod chip like OpenXenium?

You think this is fixable?

Thanks for the help/reply.

Best regards

PXL_20240128_193255151.jpg

PXL_20240128_194307778.jpg

31 minutes ago, Petrolhead said:

I think the modchip did that short.

Best regards

I tried to resist the temptation to post. Forgive me.

How did this happen to your TSOP? Did the soldering iron lay against it? Can you take a closer pic of those IC legs on the right, there?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Petrolhead said:

I think the modchip did that short (tried that ship on two old devices)

Can I just remove that chip and use a working mod chip like OpenXenium?

Thanks for the help/reply.

Best regards

Since you have a modchip, the tsop being damaged is probably not the issue.  I'd be more concerned about the smd capacitor that is sitting on top of the other one in the first picture.  You'll have to figure out where that came from and solder it back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So… first thing…. There is obviously a short where there shouldn’t be which fried the TSOP. That needs to be corrected whether you plan to replace the chip or not. May fry something else if you don’t.  Then as mentioned previously…. There is a capacitor sitting on another… find its home and solder it back on.  In all honesty… not to be mean in any way… it may be best to enlist some help in repairing it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Since you have a modchip, the tsop being damaged is probably not the issue.  I'd be more concerned about the smd capacitor that is sitting on top of the other one in the first picture.  You'll have to figure out where that came from and solder it back in.

@FringleGood eye! I didn't even see that!

OP, what exactly happened to this area that would melt your TSOP and cause an SMD capacitor to be randomly laying on another, larger SMD capacitor? You just aquired the consoles and this happened before you owned them? There is also an errant SMD resistor (black) under pin 13 of the LPC!

resistor-outlined.png

TWO resistors! In addition to the capacitor that Tomcat pointed out. I have marked where they should be mounted. Right above the LPC on the other side. There should be an identical resistor on the left of those two between its own set of vias.

@Dtomcat18 What happened to this console? :(

I think very detailed photos of this motherboard should be posted so they can be examined for more SMD components floating around for whatever reason. I'm scratching my head...

I just heated the connector of that board with full blast, this is the 2nd board with the same identical mod-ship problem, fried TSOP.

Gentle as a MF with the assembly, but..... *smoke*

You guys are right about the quality on that fist board 😃

image.thumb.jpeg.1e440df5726e98c9683aabe5713770c1.jpegPXL_20240128_211427083.thumb.jpg.9f4f716fe97746a46fd88686189b7a2b.jpg

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I tried to resist the temptation to post. Forgive me.

How did this happen to your TSOP? Did the soldering iron lay against it? Can you take a closer pic of those IC legs on the right, there?

I thought I did a bridge with a solder ball, but I never touched the TSOP, after I mounted the same mod-ship on the second xbox it did start sparkling (smoke on the same place)

17 minutes ago, Petrolhead said:

I just heated the connector of that board with full blast, this is the 2nd board with the same identical mod-ship problem, fried TSOP.

Gentle as a MF with the assembly, but..... *smoke*

You guys are right about the quality on that fist board 😃

image.thumb.jpeg.1e440df5726e98c9683aabe5713770c1.jpegPXL_20240128_211427083.thumb.jpg.9f4f716fe97746a46fd88686189b7a2b.jpg

Okay, so this is the other board. And the frying came from the same place? I see some discoloration on the TSOP legs in the same exact spot... What exactly were you doing when the shorting happened? Turn something on? Touch something metal to metal? Plug the power supply in? When EXACTLY did they fry? Was it when the same thing was happening or at different random points? Having two do the same thing suggests there is a common issue here and I would like to find out what the common denominator is... I would not be surprised if an errant SMD component shorted something since I can see that they are floating all over the motherboard. Did you source these consoles from the same person?

• Like 1

First, did buy OpenXenium chip from eBay, did notice some bios on the ship at startup (flash meny) that already was flashed to it.

When I started up it was fine, did test it by starting OG flash from the xbox, and it started to hissing and smoke, opend it up and saw a ball on the leg on the TSOP (thought oh shit, i did a doodoo)

Ripped the connector out from that board to the new one (the last picture) and gentle assembly the connector and that OpenX mod, and double checked all the components on the board before a boot up, but on the bootup it started to hissing, and I did pull the power cord out (the last picture dont have that big hole on the TSOP) but I suspect that mod-ship is faulty.

The board and cables was proper assembled, the ship on both was fried exactly on the same position.  

If I buy a new OpenXenium and a TSOP from here, you guys think I can get the last board working?

(the consoles did work before the mod, they are legit) as I know I did it or a bad mod-ship.

And thank you for the help guys!

3 hours ago, Fringle said:

Looks like C7D4 is missing.  That piggyback rider probably goes there.

And those two small resistors need to be put back where they go.

Any other loose SMD components on the motherboard?

ST M29F080T-90 Flash memory chip. 

The sticker on top covered all the manufacturer's labeling.  

ST M29F080A-90, Hyundai or Hynix HY29F080T-90 flash memory chips will work to replace the TSOP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Looks like C7D4 is missing.  That piggyback rider probably goes there.

And those two small resistors need to be put back where they go.

Any other loose SMD components on the motherboard?

ST M29F080T-90 Flash memory chip. 

The sticker on top covered all the manufacturer's labeling.  

ST M29F080A-90, Hyundai or Hynix HY29F080T-90 flash memory chips will work to replace the TSOP.

I was going to suggest that was it's location but since I'm at work and don't have a board here to verify it actually went there I didn't want to misleading.  The second board he posted also don't have a cap in that spot so I'm not convinced that's where it came from unless both boards have the same missing components.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fringle said:

I was going to suggest that was it's location but since I'm at work and don't have a board here to verify it actually went there I didn't want to misleading.  The second board he posted also don't have a cap in that spot so I'm not convinced that's where it came from unless both boards have the same missing components.

I'll need to see if I have any v1.0 motherboards lying around to check if that same cap is missing on it or not. 

Not sure I'll get to it tonight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

was just about to post a picture as well... I use a 1.0 to test the picoPromSD's pogo adapter LOL

I beat you to it! Lol. It would’ve taken me longer to find usually but I had just pulled the psu out of it yesterday so I knew exactly where it was. :D 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Petrolhead said:

First, did buy OpenXenium chip from eBay, did notice some bios on the ship at startup (flash meny) that already was flashed to it.

When I started up it was fine, did test it by starting OG flash from the xbox, and it started to hissing and smoke, opend it up and saw a ball on the leg on the TSOP (thought oh shit, i did a doodoo)

Ripped the connector out from that board to the new one (the last picture) and gentle assembly the connector and that OpenX mod, and double checked all the components on the board before a boot up, but on the bootup it started to hissing, and I did pull the power cord out (the last picture dont have that big hole on the TSOP) but I suspect that mod-ship is faulty.

The board and cables was proper assembled, the ship on both was fried exactly on the same position.  

If I buy a new OpenXenium and a TSOP from here, you guys think I can get the last board working?

(the consoles did work before the mod, they are legit) as I know I did it or a bad mod-ship.

And thank you for the help guys!

The cap that I am seeing is a smaller size than the one under it. Like the size of C6D8. I am not SURE of this though as I cannot compare the sizes definitively. If you see that the loose cap is smaller look for a smaller cap like that on photos of 1.0 boards without components missing. See if you can find one of that size missing on the board. Some SMD cap spots are already empty on normal boards, so verify that too. 😛

Just to verify. You're saying the consoles were fine until you hooked up the modchip? That's the only thing I can blame is that something about the chip is causing a short. Is somebody with some electronics knowledge able to say whether there is enough power going to the LPC to cause a short like that on the TSOP? @KaosEngineer

I still cannot imagine how a bunch of SMD components on that one board just ended up floating all over the place. Only think I can think of is that some dude got pissed and started raking a flathead across the surface of the PCB.

@Dtomcat18 That's the best one. The vias are full and are perfect for that pogo adapter.

• Like 1