OGXbox.com

PrometheOS: A replacement Open-Source OS for Xenium based mods

Dempsey_86

4 hours ago, lopenator said:

Is this recommended over official xeniumOS?

55 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That's what I would like to know too. I'm sure in time, this will have improvements over XeniumOS, even if it doesn't right away. I'm just happy to see new activity around this design!

Yes, highly.

• FTP give you the max speed. 
  • all partitions of your drive are accessible with ftp
  • Skins do work
  • no 1.6 bug like the official OX firmware
  • no makemhz branding
  • no self destruct code
  • when no dvd drive is present and you want to flash a bios the system doesn't hang for one minute like the official FW
  • faster in the menus
  • the web interface does work good
  • you can download a flashed bios to your pc again
  • you can set video and game regios
  • its fully compatible with HD+

This is only the beginning, there are more features planned in the future.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Dempsey_86 said:

Yes, highly.

• Skins do work
  • no makemhz branding
  • no self destruct code
  • when no dvd drive is present and you want to flash a bios the system doesn't hang for one minute like the official FW
  • faster in the menus

awesome! flashing instantly! thanks guys for the awesome work!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dempsey_86 said:

Yes, highly.

• Skins do work
  • no makemhz branding
  • no self destruct code
  • faster in the menus

I am stoked! I'm flashing this too :)

• Like 1

2.3.1 currently. I had issues updating to that with the new Xenium Tools, but was able to get to 2.3.1 with Xenium Tools Blue. Blue goes through all the steps of 2.3.5 and says it was successful. But after the reboot, it reverts back to 2.3.1.

Edited by MadMartigan

11 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

@ThairannyDid it say it can’t detect your Xenium as well or just overall issues? And do you have an original xenium? I fear this could be an issue with the OGs only. 

Just to be clear, you're saying that it may be a problem with the OG design of the chip, as opposed to the openXenium (Ryzee119) or Nemesis variants? Maybe I should try to flash and see what happens. I have an Open.

1 hour ago, Thairanny said:

I had issues with the Xenium Tools off the disk as well, this one worked for me.

xenium-tools.xbe 1.22 MB · 0 downloads

This is the Blue version that was able to get me this far. It currently goes through as successful, but no update is actually applied and I reboot back to the 2.3.1 menu. While attempting to use the other Xenium tools to get PrometheOS, it can’t detect my chip. I’m stuck either way at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Just to be clear, you're saying that it may be a problem with the OG design of the chip, as opposed to the openXenium (Ryzee119) or Nemesis variants? Maybe I should try to flash and see what happens. I have an Open.

Correct. This is the original Xenium chip. I’ve already done my diggin and see on Reddit where this seems to be a common theme amongst the first Xeniums. Of course they never come back and update the threads. Funny enough, a lot of it was old comments from Dtomcat18 in deferent places. 

On 1/22/2024 at 5:51 AM, nikeymikey said:

I am just in the process of buying the XeniumRGB Massive pack from our very own Nemesis and I have a question about PrometheOS. Will/Does it support the LED control options?

Yes. I have a xenium rgb massive in my xbox. Updated to PrometheOS and lights all work as expected.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

This is the Blue version that was able to get me this far. It currently goes through as successful, but no update is actually applied and I reboot back to the 2.3.1 menu. While attempting to use the other Xenium tools to get PrometheOS, it can’t detect my chip. I’m stuck either way at the moment. 

Correct. This is the original Xenium chip. I’ve already done my diggin and see on Reddit where this seems to be a common theme amongst the first Xeniums. Of course they never come back and update the threads. Funny enough, a lot of it was old comments from Dtomcat18 in deferent places. 

Try going to 2.3.2 first, then 2.3.3 and up sequentially. There is defence code in the original XeniumOS 2.3.1. (self destruct). For example the original Xenium Gold chip will not upgrade either. Need regular 2.3.2.
I used to use the old text xbe version of xenium_tools with awkward ones.

The CPLD will be locked also, but if you have Xilinx ISE you can erase even if locked, then re-program with the .jed of openxenium.

8 hours ago, lOgIcAl said:

Try going to 2.3.2 first, then 2.3.3 and up sequentially. There is defence code in the original XeniumOS 2.3.1. (self destruct). For example the original Xenium Gold chip will not upgrade either. Need regular 2.3.2.
I used to use the old text xbe version of xenium_tools with awkward ones.

The CPLD will be locked also, but if you have Xilinx ISE you can erase even if locked, then re-program with the .jed of openxenium.

No matter what order I try to update in, I always get the error of " Xenium not detected", when attempting to run the xenium-fw-update.xbe

12 hours ago, Thairanny said:

I saw this on eBay. He calls it a 1 to 1 recreation, is this similar to the original Xeniums you have? He seems to have been able to flash PrometheOS to them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305133456600?hash=item470b5f0cd8:g:oeIAAOSwMvJk~7xR

That is a 1:1 of a Xenium Ice. I have the original. While they might actually operate the same exact way, I've not received any confirmation of this yet. I really need someone with experience on an ORIGINAL XENIUM to help with this.

Edited by MadMartigan

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

No matter what order I try to update in, I always get the error of " Xenium not detected", when attempting to run the xenium-fw-update.xbe

That is a 1:1 of a Xenium Ice. I have the original. While they might actually operate the same exact way, I've not received any confirmation of this yet. I really need someone with experience on an ORIGINAL XENIUM to help with this.

Wait, you're using an XBE called xenium-fw-update.xbe? It is THIS utility, correct? https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium/releases

@MadMartigan Edit: Sorry. :( I thought that you could not get ANY versions of the tools to work. I read more closely and you are saying that the version that WILL detect your chip acts like it is flashing and then boots you right back into where you were. Doh!

I have tried that, yes, but it doesn't recognize the chip. Neither does the new Xenium tools. Xenium Tools Blue is the only program that recognizes the chip. I feel like I just keep saying this over and over lol. 

Addition: Recovery mode flashing works fine also, but there doesnt seem to be any recovery.bin files for 2.3.2 to allow that. That is where it switched to the FW Update.xbe method. 

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Wait, you're using an XBE called xenium-fw-update.xbe? It is THIS utility, correct? https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium/releases

@MadMartigan Edit: Sorry. :( I thought that you could not get ANY versions of the tools to work. I read more closely and you are saying that the version that WILL detect your chip acts like it is flashing and then boots you right back into where you were. Doh!

Correct. I have two programs giving me the cold shoulder and one playing hard to get. If only there was a recovery.bin for 2.3.2 and above. The main goal is Prometheos which is a no go without xenium Tools working. Here is the same issue reported on github 

https://github.com/Ryzee119/Xenium-Tools/issues/8

Edited by MadMartigan

27 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Got this all sorted out and upgraded to Prometheos. I’ll make a new post with the explanation since this was a new issue without any info. The dev team will be addressing it as well.  

You fixed this and you're holding back HOW? I have blueballs now. I HAVE to know how you fixed this and what was responsible for it! :)

Wow I am doing what they did to me lol. My bad. I started making the post and realized that it’s most likely the next person will be having an issue with updating theirs to XOS 2.3.1 as well. That’s where all my issues started. So I should first, test to see if the Xenium tools would detect the chip now. I’m going to test again in a few and I’ll post results.