OGXbox.com

PrometheOS: A replacement Open-Source OS for Xenium based mods

Dempsey_86

Team Cerbios and Team Resurgent are excited to introduce the Official Trailer for PrometheOS, a new open-source operating system designed for all Xenium-based mod chips in the original Xbox.

**Key current Features of PrometheOS:**

- **Multi-Bank Functions:** Effortlessly switch between different bios images.
- **LED Support:** Assign custom colors to each bios bank for enhanced visual feedback.
- **Web UI:** Access a user-friendly interface from any web-enabled device for simplified bios management.
- **FTP Support:** Facilitate easy file transfers between the Xbox and other devices.
- **Skin Support:** Customize the OS interface to reflect your personal style.
- **HDD Lock/Unlock Support:** Gain the ability to lock or unlock the hard drive, tethering it to a specific console.
- **EEPROM Backup/Restore Feature:** Ability to backup and restore your EEPROM.

**A Community-Driven Initiative:**

PrometheOS is a collaborative achievement between Team Resurgent, Team Cerbios, and the dedicated Xbox modding community.

**Availability:**

PrometheOS will be available for download, ensuring compatibility with all versions of the original Xbox equipped with a Xenium-based mod chip.

**For Those Interested in Getting Started:**

If you're eager to try out PrometheOS and are in need of an affordable chip or external programmer, you can purchase a Xenium-ICE v3.0 & Programmer directly from NeMesiS/XeniumMods. Visit their eBay store at https://www.ebay.com.au/str/xeniummods for more information.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a3f5a7eb27f80c59d2b0e18b72fe595.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.979180ae2b09e5a3c2382adf1430b28e.jpeg

**Special Thanks:**

Our gratitude goes to NeMesiS / XeniumMods for providing prototype Xeniums, programming hardware, and essential feedback and testing which helped greatly in making PrometheOS a reality.

A shoutout to Ryzee119 for the invaluable Xenium-Tools, facilitating the flashing of the new OS via your xbox. (https://github.com/Ryzee119/Xenium-Tools) and the work towards making the original OpenXenium.

Stay tuned for ETA & more updates on this exciting development by the Xbox scene community!

Please watch the official trailer and show some ❤️ to all those who contributed and worked towards making this a reality.

Sourcehttps://www.xbox-scene.info/articles.html/announcing-prometheos-a-replacement-open-source-os-for-xenium-based-mods-r26/

Edited by Dempsey_86
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nier said:

I do wonder if PrometheOS can control the video upscaling on the early revisions of xboxhdmi and Xbox hd+ to replace the patched m8 bios?!

No it can't. THe video settings in prometheOS are to change the settings in the xbox eeprom. Changing the HD+ settings can be done from an app on the xbox itself. Team cerbios did make one called elpisHD but is not released yet (modzvilleUSA did make a video about it on his YouTube channel)

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 2:11 AM, Dempsey_86 said:

No it can't. THe video settings in prometheOS are to change the settings in the xbox eeprom. Changing the HD+ settings can be done from an app on the xbox itself. Team cerbios did make one called elpisHD but is not released yet (modzvilleUSA did make a video about it on his YouTube channel)

THAT would be nice to see. It's always been so awkward to have to adjust those settings in the stupid MS dash only... Glad to see it be done another way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:11 AM, Dempsey_86 said:

Yeah I watched modzvilleusa’s elpisHD video too and then I wondered if prometheOS had replaced the elpisHD app.

52 minutes ago, Dempsey_86 said:

If you want to test elpisHD, thy did release cerbios 2.3.2 alpha with the hd+ patch integrated.

Thank you for that update... I should try to finish that Ryzee199 hdmi encoder which is basically the same thing and try my luck with that!

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Thank you for that update... I should try to finish that Ryzee199 hdmi encoder which is basically the same thing and try my luck with that!

This is not true. The patches for hd+ do not work on ryzee his board because his board works different than mm his board.

1 minute ago, Dempsey_86 said:

This is not true. The patches for hd+ do not work on ryzee his board because his board works different than mm his board.

... Hmm, if this is the case...

I made the blind assumption that since the adapter uses the same ADV5711 and STM32 that it would just work. I DO notice that the STM IC is a bit different, however. Maybe I'll ask around and find out what exactly is different, just for my own understanding. At any rate, thank you. :)

If you want to get cerbios working, you would need to use dustin his firmware (idk if this can be used with the ryzee board), cerbios with the patches does control the firmware from the hd+. But build your chip, because I think most of the games will work, I bet all 480p/720p/1080i games will work flawless using the bios you want. Where the problems start are the games that only do 576i PAL (there are only 12 pal games that only have 576i support) all others support 480i or 480p. The other games that can be a problem are the 480i only games, but im not so sure about this, because with dustin his HD+ paired with unpatched cerbios colin mcrea rally 3 did work, and this is an 480i only game. The only 480i game that I found not working this way was kung fu chaos.

If you have your board you can also help testing games and plans/hopes are that someone in the scene writes an open source firmware for it so we can get 100% game compatibility with this open source solution.

32 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

... Hmm, if this is the case...

I made the blind assumption that since the adapter uses the same ADV5711 and STM32 that it would just work. I DO notice that the STM IC is a bit different, however. Maybe I'll ask around and find out what exactly is different, just for my own understanding. At any rate, thank you. :)

If you take a hardware design and modify it there is a good chance the software will also need to be modified in order to work with the modified hardware since some things in the hardware were changed.

2 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

If you want to get cerbios working, you would need to use dustin his firmware (idk if this can be used with the ryzee board), cerbios with the patches does control the firmware from the hd+. But build your chip, because I think most of the games will work, I bet all 480p/720p/1080i games will work flawless using the bios you want. Where the problems start are the games that only do 576i PAL (there are only 12 pal games that only have 576i support) all others support 480i or 480p. The other games that can be a problem are the 480i only games, but im not so sure about this, because with dustin his HD+ paired with unpatched cerbios colin mcrea rally 3 did work, and this is an 480i only game. The only 480i game that I found not working this way was kung fu chaos.

If you have your board you can also help testing games and plans/hopes are that someone in the scene writes an open source firmware for it so we can get 100% game compatibility with this open source solution.

There is actually an open-source design being worked on by Harcroft and a few others. I believe it is called the OpenXHD. I can build the ryzee board, but I think this will probably be the first truly open source design to build upon and succeed it. So I am unsure whether to put the time into the Ryzee encoder, or maybe wait for the OpenXHD, which I believe is being designed with Team-Cerbios and ElpisHD in mind.

I have all the parts except the flex cables... since PCBJLC fucked that up colossally. I'll still try it out. :) 

OpenXHD.jpg

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

There is actually an open-source design being worked on by Harcroft and a few others. I believe it is called the OpenXHD. I can build the ryzee board, but I think this will probably be the first truly open source design to build upon and succeed it. So I am unsure whether to put the time into the Ryzee encoder, or maybe wait for the OpenXHD, which I believe is being designed with Team-Cerbios and ElpisHD in mind.

I have all the parts except the flex cables... since PCBJLC fucked that up colossally. I'll still try it out. :) 

OpenXHD.jpg

I know, Harcroft doing some nice work, this is in his core the same like ryzees board with some nice updates. Like the flex is different, he did alter the board to support the flex from makemhz, so you can swap the makemhz board with one of these. I cant wait till it comes out to do some testing on it.

• Like 1

A day after the first v1.0.0 release there is another release with improvements for PrometheOS. Also the source is released on the team resurgent github.

PrometheOS, the custom operating system designed for Xenium/OpenXenium Chips, has just released its latest version, V1.0.1, bringing several key changes and fixes.

**Enhancements in V1.0.1:**

• - Static DNS Support for Insignia: The update introduces support for Static DNS, catering specifically to Insignia users.
  • - Advanced Network Configuration: An additional network configuration option has been added, allowing for dynamic IP with manual DNS settings.
  • - Improved Snake: The beloved Snake game receives improvements in movements and the exciting addition of high score saving.
  • - Visual Updates: A fix in the snake color within the skin ini file necessitates replacing old skins with new ones for for changes to take effect.
  • - Source Code Release: In a significant move towards open-source collaboration, the PrometheOS(XBE) source code and additional tools are now available on GitHub.

**Community Collaboration and Feedback:**
Open Invitation for Contributions: The team is eagerly looking forward to community contributions and collaboration. All enthusiasts and developers are encouraged to submit their push requests to the PrometheOS GitHub page.

**Accessing the Source Code:**
Community Contributions: With the source code now available, PrometheOS opens the door to wider community contributions. The source code can be accessed at Github: 
Team-Resurgent / PrometheOS-Firmware.

**Looking Ahead:**
- This new update underscores the commitment by both teams to continually evolve and improve PrometheOS. 

_____                                                                  _____ 
( ___ )                                                                ( ___ )
 |   |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|   | 
 |   |    ____  ____   __   _  _  ____  ____  _  _  ____   __   ____    |   | 
 |   |   (  _ \(  _ \ /  \ ( \/ )(  __)(_  _)/ )( \(  __) /  \ / ___)   |   | 
 |   |    ) __/ )   /(  O )/ \/ \ ) _)   )(  ) __ ( ) _) (  O )\___ \   |   | 
 |   |   (__)  (__\_) \__/ \_)(_/(____) (__) \_)(_/(____) \__/ (____/   |   | 
 |___|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|___| 
(_____)                                                                (_____)

*          .:Release V1.0.1 (Xbox V1.0 - 1.6) Xenium Modchip Only:.          *

*   Version :............V1.0.1        * Size :.....................2048 KB  *
*   Date :.............21/01/24        * Type :..................Modchip OS  *
*   Groups :..Team Resurgent & Cerbios * Platform :..........Microsoft Xbox  *
*   Discord :........https://discord.gg/VcdSfajQGK                           *
*   Patreon :........https://www.patreon.com/teamresurgent                   *
*   Ko-fi :..........https://ko-fi.com/teamresurgent                         *
*   Github :.........https://github.com/Team-Resurgent                       *

*....:Changes/Additions:.....................................................*
*           --A new custom OS for Xenium/OpenXenium Chips.--                 *
*    Release: V1.0.1                                                         *
*    Added Support For Static DNS (Insignia).                                *