OGXbox.com

XBL data preservation

dtomcat

12 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Holy Moly!!! This is a lot of work! LOL  every drive so far has been locked.  So I need to use it's serial connection and issue commands to spill the beans (i.e. Password) then unlock it ...  have a few back apples as well.  34 of the 63 down :)

... Where did you source these drives from?

19 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

not firmware locked... it's locked from Xbox.  it's the xbox lock I have to remove via serial... because who knows what HDD key is LOL  no eeprom backups so i'm having to trick the drive into giving me the password to unlock it

... I am so confused, Cat. Why are you using these stock drives to catalogue XBL data? Could you maybe explain a little bit more what it is you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it? 

Also, the serial method for removing the HDD key? :)

Ok... yes... with a serial connection, you can have the HDDs give up their password without affecting the data on the drive.  After unlocking the drive, I mount the E partition and let Pinecone scan for XBL content (Map updates, game updates, roster updates, etc.)  This allows us to archive that data.  Essentially DLC for OG Xbox.

28 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

... I am so confused, Cat. Why are you using these stock drives to catalogue XBL data? Could you maybe explain a little bit more what it is you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it? 

Also, the serial method for removing the HDD key? :)

25 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Ok... yes... with a serial connection, you can have the HDDs give up their password without affecting the data on the drive.  After unlocking the drive, I mount the E partition and let Pinecone scan for XBL content (Map updates, game updates, roster updates, etc.)  This allows us to archive that data.  Essentially DLC for OG Xbox.

Oh okay! You bought a bunch of stock drives to see what was on them! I'm a bit thick. lol. Right on, buddy.

8 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

not firmware locked... it's locked from Xbox.  it's the xbox lock I have to remove via serial... because who knows what HDD key is LOL  no eeprom backups so i'm having to trick the drive into giving me the password to unlock it

For Seagate and Western Digital stock hard drives, you can use the manufacturer's MASTER password if the Xbox they were installed in was not modded.

Xbox stock Western Digital HDD MASTER unlock password:

WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD

Xbox stock Seagate HDD MASTER unlock password:

Seagate followed by 25 space characters

FATXplorer 3.0 beta knows these MASTER passwords and other MASTER passwords used by modding scene apps to unlock them:

TEAMASSEMBLY and XBOXSCENE

13 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

For Seagate and Western Digital stock hard drives, you can use the manufacturer's MASTER password if the Xbox they were installed in was not modded.

Xbox stock Western Digital HDD MASTER unlock password:

WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD

Xbox stock Seagate HDD MASTER unlock password:

Seagate followed by 25 space characters

FATXplorer 3.0 beta knows these MASTER passwords and other MASTER passwords used by modding scene apps to unlock them:

TEAMASSEMBLY and XBOXSCENE

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrostyMaGee said:

That sucks. What about using the command line smartctl.exe that comes with xboxhdm 2.3 beta 3 or 4 to unlock and then open in fatxplorer?

I don’t know….  Haven’t tried as wasn’t needed.  Copying buffers around and reading them via serial connection to drives results in password being revealed :)

• Like 1

I unlocked what I could.  The packages of drives took a lot of damage in route to me.  So final tally...

14 damaged drives (2 I fixed by swapping the HDD's main board for a good one)

Approx 15 ish drives that worked did contain XBL DLC, but all DLC is already cataloged and known

rest... nothing

End results... lots of work for no reason LOL   was fun to do though... like scratching off lottery tickets... hopeful!... but in the end let down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I unlocked what I could.  The packages of drives took a lot of damage in route to me.  So final tally...

14 damaged drives (2 I fixed by swapping the HDD's main board for a good one)

Approx 15 ish drives that worked did contain XBL DLC, but all DLC is already cataloged and known

rest... nothing

End results... lots of work for no reason LOL   was fun to do though... like scratching off lottery tickets... hopeful!... but in the end let down

I was worried that would turn out to be the case. Thank you for going for it, Cat. :)