OGXbox.com

Debunking MakeMHz

NeMesiS

On 12/1/2023 at 3:46 PM, Dtomcat18 said:

Makes sense.   I don’t agree with any attacking as stated early. But if it appears he’s making a clone of others work (I don’t know and not accusing), I could see someone being upset. If you spent thousands on R&D, and someone just copied it and sold it cheaper (since they don’t have research and money in it developing it)… would you not be mad?  I hope Nem’s is something better and not simply a copy.  I do like his original designs… so I’m sure the HD will be original.    Sorry. Lied Nem.   Won’t post again unless regard original post 

Do you have a problem with Ryzee cloning then Xenium hardware?  Why is is OK for Ryzee to clone hardware and not others?  Seems like a double standard when Ryzee himself did it and passed off his clone as his own "Open Xenium"

As far as the HDMI mod, isnt that supposed to be an open source design

I stated it was my personal opinion.  The difference for me is that xenium was dead and no longer available.  Team xodus (or who is left out there) obviously didn’t care.  In this case (again my opinion) would be IF This is simply a clone, the HD+ is still being made and the creator obviously doesn’t it want it to be cloned.   As for the subject of this thread… they came out hours from each other… so it’s obviously not a clone.   All this is my opinion only 

2 hours ago, RMM said:

Do you have a problem with Ryzee cloning then Xenium hardware?  Why is is OK for Ryzee to clone hardware and not others?  Seems like a double standard when Ryzee himself did it and passed off his clone as his own "Open Xenium"

1 hour ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Team xodus (or who is left out there) obviously didn’t care.

As far as MakeMHz is concerned he is TeamXodus, by purchasing their domain and abusing that to issue DMCA's

www.teamxodus.com

I was DMCA for hosting XeniumOS due to MakeMHz claiming copyright!

@Dtomcat18 Answer me this, does MakeMHz own XeniumOS?

ADCreHe_2P_kFjSEhe18MF6NvBIIjVA-UYmpdxg5

56 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

...The difference for me is that xenium was dead and no longer available.  Team xodus (or who is left out there) obviously didn’t care.  In this case (again my opinion) would be IF This is simply a clone, the HD+ is still being made and the creator obviously doesn’t it want it to be cloned...

I agree with you on the point the Xenium was no longer being made.  If they arent going to make it any longer, I dont have a problem with anyone taking their design and making one of their own.  This thinking should also apply to the HD+ as well.   The standalone HDMI mod doesnt exist any longer.  MakeMHZ dropped that design over a design that is a two board solution that relies on a specific modchip.  The old design is gone and is no longer being made.

Even when you look at the old MakeMHZ HDMI mod, it was obviously based on the Ryzee119 HDMI mod which I thought was supposed to be open source?  I dont see how anyone can claim "it is a completely independent design" when its the same hardware.  MakeMHZ just happened to use the same ADV7511 HDMI transmitter and STM32F as the original Ryzee desgin?  He came up with that independently? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RMM said:

MakeMHZ just happened to use the same ADV7511 HDMI transmitter and STM32F as the original Ryzee desgin?  He came up with that independently? 

I'm sure he would have also referred to the ADV7511 Evaluation Schematic found on Analog Devices website.

ADV7511_ADV7343_Eval_Schematic.pdf

Public knowledge that anyone can access...

ADCreHfz4eChziPjjhzPoVSJgJmNsSYWo00rk2oo

• Like 1

I’d rather not get in between something like that.  I gave my opinion but it’s just that.  I do not know who “owns” what.  I do know that the original HD mod is still being sold through 3rd parties.  But again I’ll refrain from back and forth in favor of keeping this thread on topic :)   I wasn’t accusing anyone of anything.  Just stated an opinion of different scenarios. I really hope it all works out for everyone :)   Keep innovation alive!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:35 AM, Dtomcat18 said:

all code is copyrighted by law

Correct...

How is dumping EEPROM from the Original Xbox any different?

Trying to point out that, this is the very nature of what we do in this community.

Modchips by definition are devices that circumvent copyright protections, including Stellar.

So that you and everyone else can use modified bioses and play backed up games.

The moment you open your console, you could be breaking the law...

2 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Sorry if you thought I was attacking you. 

All good, no offence but these are things we should address...

2 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

EEPROM isn’t code though.  EEPROM is data about your console.

Some might not see it that way, is it still not the IP of Microsoft?

I don't think Microsoft license allows tampering of any kind.

Besides I'm sure you like many others have or still do use modified bioses and backup games, true?

Imagine MakeMHZ going to court claiming he has copyright of hardware and/or software that contains Microsoft code and bypasses  Microsoft security both of which are against U.S. Federal law.  You think Microsoft and their lawyers would agree with that stance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Keep innovation alive!

That is exactly what MakeMHz is trying to prevent many of us from doing.

Just over the last few days MakeMHz has issued a number of DMCA's and Legal Threats across the community.

For simply sharing information found in this very thread...

MakeMHz doesn't what the Xbox Modding Community as we know it to survive!

EDIT: It's getting to the point that many people won't show their support for me publicly
due to potential repercussions from MakeMHz...

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Thanks 2

QUOTE:

If a device has been created with the primary purpose of circumventing copyright protections, it might fall into a category that is not eligible for copyright protection. In fact, some jurisdictions have specific laws, such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in the United States, which make it illegal to manufacture or distribute devices designed to circumvent technological measures that control access to copyrighted works.

In essence, copyright law is intended to protect the rights of creators and encourage innovation, but it doesn't generally protect devices or tools created for illegal or infringing purposes. Circumventing copyright protections is often considered a violation of intellectual property laws, and such activities are typically subject to legal consequences.

33 minutes ago, ACE_AU said:

Doesn’t his “magic” little “initial” setup via his site kind of hack your “stellar”/“microsoft bios” remotely?? So what’s he hosting there? Is it a legal process? 
just curious!

From what I can tell, patching bioses still falls under circumventing copyright protections.

QUOTE:

In the United States, the DMCA prohibits the circumvention of technological protection measures used to control access to copyrighted works. Modifying code to bypass such measures can lead to legal consequences.

Also...

However, it's important to note that misusing the DMCA process, such as filing false claims, can have legal consequences.

Edited by NeMesiS

2 hours ago, ACE_AU said:

Doesn’t his “magic” little “initial” setup via his site kind of hack your “stellar”/“microsoft bios” remotely?? So what’s he hosting there? Is it a legal process? 
just curious!

I don't believe it's remotely (I could be wrong)... My understanding is you load the bios, then the chip pulls the assets from the bios.  Should be legal (from his side) since he isn't distributing copyrighted material.  Technically the user is distributing it... but if you own the box with that bios on it... not sure of the laws there.  I'm Assuming M$ doesn't care as no cease/Desist letters have been made public.  (not fact here... just my understanding)

1 hour ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I don't believe it's remotely (I could be wrong)... My understanding is you load the bios, then the chip pulls the assets from the bios.  Should be legal (from his side) since he isn't distributing copyrighted material.  Technically the user is distributing it... but if you own the box with that bios on it... not sure of the laws there.  I'm Assuming M$ doesn't care as no cease/Desist letters have been made public.  (not fact here... just my understanding)

I was thinking more along the lines of, his site is processing the commands to bake the supplied BIOS from the remote end by the user. You don't do anything from the users end to to pull assets etc,no app or the likes. It has to be his page/site. The setup is stemmed from his page with a user supplied file which it does whatever to and then loads it to the Stellar as far as I can see/tell. So I would think that is crossing the line of some sorts. Just my thought process on the kind of legalities going on with the BIOS.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:54 PM, Dtomcat18 said:

Not saying that.  Your voice matters too.  Just asking to not attack… that neither side attacks.  Please speak your opinion. 

Naaaaah, MakeMhz/Dustin is an asshole and deserves all the hate he gets. 

NIce one @NeMesiS for working this out and releasing it. We need to spread the word everywhere so that people realise they don't need to buy into the Stellar ecosystem just to use the HDMI board. Though I can see this becoming a cat and mouse game IF there is anything the twat can do to block these boards from working.... Hopefully its just not possible to do that tho. 

Just think, all they had to do was work with the community and other teams like Cerbios and then Stellar would of truly been THE modchip to end all modchips. 

Me, Ill stick to my 20 year old X3 setup, even though its ancient it has more features and is more useful. Hell even my TSOP boxes have more actual usefulness  than a Stellar. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 6:30 PM, Dtomcat18 said:

The one unfair side to this (not taking sides or attacking.   Offering a point of view) is best seen by reversing the roles.  By the attack here, you suggest you shouldn’t/don’t make any money off of the things you make.  The time and energy and resources you put into your designs is worth nothing… your firmware you spent time on is worth nothing.  Simply because you hate someone… anything the individual does is shit and a scam and overpriced.   I believe everyone has a right to an opinion… I just love for this to be place of knowledge and help instead of shit bashing. I, personally, feel all the toxicity hides/masks/diminishes the value of this place.  With that said… nice work… by open sourcing… I’ll be excited to see the changes to the design. 

All that toxic hate was the reason for me not to hang around here anymore. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one. Nice to see you’re still trying to keep the ship a float!

• Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, coldasijs said:

All that toxic hate was the reason for me not to hang around here anymore. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one.

You only have MakeMHz to thank for the toxic environment he created for himself by doing stuff like this:

Official Statement on Recent DMCA Actions – MakeMHz

ADCreHfwHav_41MFmmU4O-xlnsWZeZa90uoIpCN1

The xbox community went nuclear with this announcement...

He's been scrubbing he's GitHubs and modifying licenses to justify he's actions after having already
issued the DMCAs without any prior notice to the authors.

Edited by NeMesiS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NeMesiS said:

The xbox community went nuclear with this announcement...

He's been scrubbing he's GitHubs and modifying licenses to justify he's actions after having already
issued the DMCAs without any prior notice to the authors.

I noticed Ryzee's github for the open source HDMI project was changed today to archive mode

"This repository has been archived by the owner on Dec 5, 2023. It is now read-only. "

https://github.com/Ryzee119/XboxHDMI-Ryzee119